GenBridge/SuperTools

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Bip_*

Guest_Bip_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2004 - 05:15 PM

Why doesn't RootsMagic support/participate in the GenBridge technology?

Same question about Family Tree SuperTools?

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 06:49 PM

the second line on the web page should explain it:

"...exclusive to Wholly Genes Software!"

======

I do not think that the solution is another standard that some programs comply with.

But, more likely more programs should comply with the GEDCOM standard that has already been published and twisted through several versions.
Alfred

#3 Guest_Bip_*

Guest_Bip_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2004 - 09:26 PM

Hmmm ... I don't recall asking for a defense of RootsMagic, and it is apparent that the person who responded doesn't know/understand what GenBridge is/does.

... from the Wholly Genes website ...

Removed for copyright reasons.  Please do not cut/paste from other copyrighted websites without permission of website owner.

The message boards operated by RootsMagic are riddled with confusion and complaints about gedcom import/export discrepancies between existing programs - some even between Family Origins and RootsMagic - both written by the same man! GenBridge is not "another standard" - it is a method for overcoming the myriad of "standards" already out there which cause user data to be lost or mangled when switching between programs.

Simply put, why doesn't RootsMagic appear on the list of programs that allow their data to be imported into The Master Genealogist and Family Tree SuperTools via the GenBridge technology?

#4 Guest_craigg_*

Guest_craigg_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2004 - 10:05 PM

I don't see where there is any standard involved. It looks to me like it is only a way to take data from other software products and put into the family history product of Wholly Genes Software. If that is the case, what use is it to someone who wants to transfer data from rootmagic to Ultimate family tree to name one situation?
I agree that the problem is not that the gedcom standard is bad, but that software designers do not follow it exactly, thus making trasfer of data between software diffucult. If they won't follow one standard, why would they follow two?

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2004 - 10:37 PM

The only part of your statement that is correct is
"I don't see where there is any standard involved.  It looks to me like it is only a way to take data from other software products and put into the family history product of Wholly Genes Software".

That is exactly what I want to do - flawlessly import my RootsMagic data into TMG.

To respond to the rest of your comments:

"If that is the case, what use is it to someone who wants to transfer data from rootmagic to Ultimate family tree to name one situation?"

No use whatsoever.

"I agree that the problem is not that the gedcom standard is bad..."

Not so. Ask the RootsMagic programmer - or anyone else who writes genealogy software. The gedcom standard is outdated, limited and ambiguous, just to name a few weakenesses.

"If they won't follow one standard, why would they follow two? "

As I've mentioned several times previously, GenBridge is not a standard. RootsMagic doesn't have to do anything except get its name on the list of programs supported by GenBridge. Family Origins was on the list - why not RootsMagic?

#6 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 06:53 AM

QUOTE (Bip @ Aug 29 2004, 08:26 PM)
Simply put, why doesn't RootsMagic appear on the list of programs that allow their data to be imported into The Master Genealogist and Family Tree SuperTools via the GenBridge technology?

Simply put, because Wholly Genes doesn't want it included. They can support (or not support) any other file format they want. *They* reverse engineer the file formats they are interested in. We have nothing to do with which formats they support.

We didn't do anything for them to include Family Origins either. They don't ask permission to reverse engineer a file format... they just do it.

So, if you want Wholly Genes to include RootsMagic support in *their* programs, you need to talk to them about it, not us.

RootsMagician

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 09:12 AM

Thank you Mr Magician. You confirmed what I thought was the situation, but didn't have confidence enough to write down.
Alfred