• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yazoogent

yazoogent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:54 PM

This post is a followup one that I made on 6/16/2009. I copyied my files from an external hard drive unto my C drive. I was able to find my Rm info there, but I am unable to open them. They ae listed as (family name).rmg. When I try to open them windows Vista offers to go on line to find a source to open them. What it does it shows that they are filed under a special RM code and unable to open. How can I open them so RM4 can pull them in and list them again? Any help will be appreciated. Joe

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:55 PM

An RMG file is only ONE of at least 33 files in a RootsMagic 3 or earlier database.
You need all of them to have all information needed for RootsMagic 4 to IMPORT the data to create it's own database.

If you have something like (family name).rmg, you would have to have a whole bunch of other files starting with (family name), then an underline character and a letter before one of the three extensions, DBF, FPT and CDF

It takes ALL of these to make the import work.
Alfred

#3 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Jun 21 2009, 03:55 PM) View Post

An RMG file is only ONE of at least 33 files in a RootsMagic 3 or earlier database.
You need all of them to have all information needed for RootsMagic 4 to IMPORT the data to create it's own database.

If you have something like (family name).rmg, you would have to have a whole bunch of other files starting with (family name), then an underline character and a letter before one of the three extensions, DBF, FPT and CDF

It takes ALL of these to make the import work.

Also remember that files moved by CDROM will have the "read only" attribute set. You will need to change this attribute on each of the 33 files. However, if you make a backup file on CDROM, you do not need to change the "read only" attribute for database restoration on RM Version 3. RM Version 4 does not yet [hint] directly restore from Version 3 backups.

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 06:20 PM

I don't think the read only attribute will make any difference if you are just importing the database into RootsMagic 4.

I suppose it could make a difference, but I don't think so since you are only reading them, not writing to them.

And, besides, it was an external hard drive, not a CD.
Actually, RootsMagic 4 should have been able to import them directly from the external drive, if they were all there.
Alfred

#5 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE(yazoogent @ Jun 21 2009, 04:54 PM) View Post
This post is a followup one that I made on 6/16/2009. I copyied my files from an external hard drive unto my C drive. I was able to find my Rm info there, but I am unable to open them. They ae listed as (family name).rmg. When I try to open them windows Vista offers to go on line to find a source to open them. What it does it shows that they are filed under a special RM code and unable to open. How can I open them so RM4 can pull them in and list them again? Any help will be appreciated. Joe

Are you trying to open the RM3 database files from Windows Explorer? If so, that won't work and Windows will ask if you want to search online for a program. What you have to do is import the RM3 database.

Fire up RootsMagic 4, then click File>Import.
Choose RootsMagic (version 1-3).
Click either "Search for files" or "I know where the file is."
Select the (family name).rmg file and click Open.
Then you'll see a screen where you'll name the database and select a location on your computer for it.

In the RM4 help files, look under "Importing files" in the index to see screenshots and info.

If RootsMagic 4 can't find your database:
http://www.rootsmagi...?showtopic=6171

Your other post for reference:
http://www.rootsmagi...p...ic=6772&hl=
~ Debbie

#6 yazoogent

yazoogent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:55 AM

QUOTE(mapleleaf @ Jun 22 2009, 01:05 AM) View Post

Are you trying to open the RM3 database files from Windows Explorer? If so, that won't work and Windows will ask if you want to search online for a program. What you have to do is import the RM3 database.

Fire up RootsMagic 4, then click File>Import.
Choose RootsMagic (version 1-3).
Click either "Search for files" or "I know where the file is."
Select the (family name).rmg file and click Open.
Then you'll see a screen where you'll name the database and select a location on your computer for it.

In the RM4 help files, look under "Importing files" in the index to see screenshots and info.

If RootsMagic 4 can't find your database:
http://www.rootsmagi...?showtopic=6171

Your other post for reference:
http://www.rootsmagi...p...ic=6772&hl=

Thanks everyone for replying to this post. I trtied importing files as explained, but continue to get an error message with it bieng sent to Rm. I went to the you tube site and then tried copying files and gotg the same error message. Any other suggestions? Joe

#7 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:14 AM

What is the exact error message?
At what step do you see the error message?

~ Debbie