13 replies to this topic

#1 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:19 PM

In RM4, the RootsMagic Explorer is very slow and takes up to 5 seconds for the explorer window to open and the name I type to be found.

In RM3 - I can find a name instantly.

Opening an Edit Person screen in RM4 is also much slower than RM3.

Because it's so slow and I'm used to typing fast, I often end up with a screen to Add/Edit a new person, or add another set of parents. When I cancel out of those screens, the Explorer windows opens.

Maybe things will speed up with the next update?
~ Debbie

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:36 PM

Debbie, just as a point of reference, how many people do you have in your database? My experience with RM Explorer and with double-clicking on an individual to bring up the Edit Person screen is very quick, but you may have me trumped in terms of numbers.

By the way, I'm using RM 4.0.1.1.

#3 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE(Romer @ Apr 2 2009, 09:36 PM) View Post

Debbie, just as a point of reference, how many people do you have in your database? My experience with RM Explorer and with double-clicking on an individual to bring up the Edit Person screen is very quick, but you may have me trumped in terms of numbers.

By the way, I'm using RM 4.0.1.1.

My database has 40,935 people and 76,471 events.
Version 4.0.1.0
Database file size: 92.1 MB

I have RM3 and RM4 open side by side (same database) and am testing them for speed. RM3 is much faster. So whatever is running in the background shouldn't matter (right?) because I'm testing both programs at the same time.

I use Ctrl + F to bring up the RootsMagic Explorer.
~ Debbie

#4 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:05 PM

You might try downloading version 4.0.1.1 and seeing if it makes any difference.

Your counts are signficantly higher than mine, which could definitely result in longer wait times than what I'm experiencing. We may need to wait to hear from others with extensive data.

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:09 PM

Boy, I do not see slow.

I just imported an old GEDCOM with 118K people. It seemed to take a long time to import it, but not nearly as long as it did when I tried to import into another well known program. (it was maybe 10 minutes or so)

Anyway, the RootsMagic explorer window opens almost instantly, whether I click the magnifying glass, Press Ctrl+F, Press Alt+sp or click on Search and Person list.
As far as typing the name, I cannot type fast enough ahead of it.

(I am using Windows XPsp3 with only 512MB Ram, although I have my virtual memory set to max of 3GB.)
Alfred

#6 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:42 PM

I just updated to 4.0.1.1 and will see how it goes tomorrow. Just a short try today and RM Explorer does seem a little more snappy.

~ Debbie

#7 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE(mapleleaf @ Apr 2 2009, 11:42 PM) View Post

I just updated to 4.0.1.1 and will see how it goes tomorrow. Just a short try today and RM Explorer does seem a little more snappy.

OK, it's tomorrow and it took 22 second for the RM4 Explorer window to open after pressing Ctrl F. When I typed a name in, it took 6 seconds for the name to be found. 15 seconds for the Citation Manager to open.

RM3: 8 seconds for Explorer to open.

Ah, I think I found the problem (I hope). Carbonite was backing up files. I paused Carbonite and both RM3 and RM4 worked really quickly, opening in 1 second.

~ Debbie

#8 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:09 AM

So Carbonite wasn't the problem. Carbonite is off and I'm finding that RM 4 is mostly slow, but it's not consistently slow. Let me try to explain.

Earlier today when I first fired up RM4, the explorer screen opened horribly slow. Then while working with it, the explorer screen opened in a normal time. I left the computer for about a half hour. When I returned to RM4 and pressed Ctrl+F to open the RM Explorer screen, it took an agonizing 52 seconds until it opened!

It seems to be slow after a time has lapsed when I've not done any work in the program.
~ Debbie

#9 PDW

PDW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE(mapleleaf @ Apr 2 2009, 09:19 PM) View Post

In RM4, the RootsMagic Explorer is very slow and takes up to 5 seconds for the explorer window to open and the name I type to be found.

In RM3 - I can find a name instantly.

Opening an Edit Person screen in RM4 is also much slower than RM3.

Because it's so slow and I'm used to typing fast, I often end up with a screen to Add/Edit a new person, or add another set of parents. When I cancel out of those screens, the Explorer windows opens.

Maybe things will speed up with the next update?

Because I have so many names if I want to search for any name I use the side bar and it goes there much faster than RM3. If I use search it does take a long time as does merge. I found for me merging two names which are not typed quite the same I place AAA's in front of one the Surnames, then use the other to merge as the first name will be quite easy to find without any problem. The same for Edit, just double click on the sidebar and it opens up quickly without all the added problems.

#10 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE(PDW @ Apr 14 2009, 09:00 PM) View Post

Because I have so many names if I want to search for any name I use the side bar and it goes there much faster than RM3. If I use search it does take a long time as does merge. I found for me merging two names which are not typed quite the same I place AAA's in front of one the Surnames, then use the other to merge as the first name will be quite easy to find without any problem. The same for Edit, just double click on the sidebar and it opens up quickly without all the added problems.

But the sidebar does not show the birth & death dates, which makes scrolling through different individuals with the same name MUCH less convenient.

#11 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE(zhangrau @ Apr 17 2009, 11:45 AM) View Post

But the sidebar does not show the birth & death dates, which makes scrolling through different individuals with the same name MUCH less convenient.

Having the <People> tab selected in conjunction with usage of that sidebar presents all that information for each selected individual, almost instantly.
In particular, all "same name" people would be grouped together on that <People> tab screen.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#12 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE(kbens0n @ Apr 17 2009, 12:18 PM) View Post

Having the <People> tab selected in conjunction with usage of that sidebar presents all that information for each selected individual, almost instantly.
In particular, all "same name" people would be grouped together on that <People> tab screen.

No, it doesn't. Not at all. No date info is provided on the sidebar.

#13 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE(zhangrau @ Apr 17 2009, 08:23 PM) View Post

No, it doesn't. Not at all. No date info is provided on the sidebar.

The <People> tab shows the date info. That was the purpose of the design wink.gif
For example, arrowing down through the list of names in the Side Bar, with the <People> tab also selected on the right, will show the continuously selected individual(s) dates (highlighted). Same with typing the first few letters of Surname or mouse-clicking individuals.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#14 miguelk

miguelk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE(PDW @ Apr 14 2009, 09:00 PM) View Post

The artifice of speeding up a merge by inserting AAAs helps somewhat, but only in the actual merge process. With my large (510K name) database, the mere selection of a duplicate person takes a LONG time. The AAA trick speeds up the actual merge, but the return to the "explorer" view is VERY slow.

This redisplay of a record after deleting a fact in the individualīs record is also VERY slow.

I use a Compaq with a 2 Ghz Celeron 550 processor, and 2 GB of physical memory, and no antivirus software (AV is done at our LAN server level), so I have enough horsepower and no external interference.

Anyone having similar performance problems, such as delayed redisplayed after deleteing a fact or facts?