3 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Jahn

Jeff Jahn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 07:37 AM

I am deciding how to enter this into my Roots database. I have a person that married, later divorced, then they remarried, and later divorced again. I am deciding on whether to add 2 marriage Fact and 2 divorce facts or whether to enter some info in a note. How would you handle it? And will adding 2 marriage Fact for same people cause problems in Roots?

#2 diamondk

diamondk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 08:29 AM

I would add 2 marriage and 2 divorce facts as well as a note.

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:47 AM

Sgt. Joe Friday said, “Just the facts Ma'am.”

But if you enter just the facts, someone is sure to think that you didn't know which was correct, so you had entered both. Therefore, a note explaining the circumstances is in order.

I would think the second marriage fact would be the place for the note, BUT, some reports only use the first of multiple events, so the second marriage and note wouldn't appear in those reports. Maybe an explanation wouldn't be needed in that case, you make the call.

Hm, Maybe the first divorce note: “They gave up for a while but a little later they decided to give marriage another try, that marriage also ended in divorce.”

No matter what you do, there will only be one family, no mater how many times the same two people are married, and even if there is family and children with a different person between the marriages of these two people.
Alfred

#4 Jeff Jahn

Jeff Jahn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:54 AM

Thanks all that gives me some ideas smile.gif