• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GeneRooks

GeneRooks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 02:32 PM

Hello, I'm a brand new user, and so far very impressed. Maybe I missed this, I see how to edit notes and facts OK. I've previewed the Narrative report on some of mine, but if I were to want to print one, I can find no easy way to edit the report without having to go back and edit the individuals. How can the report previewed be made editable? Thanks, Gene Rooks in Gotha huh.gif

#2 aplucinik

aplucinik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 04:12 PM

If you are asking how to preview a report, make changes in that previewed report, which will then be reflected in the database, then NO, you can't do this. But if you just want to know how to edit a report generate from RootsMagic then ....

With most of the reports, you can send them to a rich text or plain text file. You would then open this file with a word processor such as WordPerfect or Word. then you can make all the editing changes you like.

The changes made in the report, of course, won't be reflected in the database.

here is one example of how to create an editable report:

Go to REPORTS > NARRATIVE REPORTS
Choose Report Type ANCESTORS
In the PRINT TO field in the lower right corner choose Rich Text File from the drop down list
Click on the CREATE button
Give the File a name such as TEST.RTF
Pay attention to where you save the file so you can find it later.
Open it up in a word processing program and make whatever edits you want.

#3 GeneRooks

GeneRooks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 04:19 PM

Thanks, Allan, that's exactly what I needed to know biggrin.gif Gene

#4 Guest_Dwayne Fink_*

Guest_Dwayne Fink_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:51 AM

I tried to print portions of my book using rich text file, because it is so easy to edit. I was just going to a avoid going back to the data base with the all the changes. However, the rtf came up, on screen, with all the codes. The index was created from that version. When I printed it out the codes were stripped out, so the printed version was shorter than the screen version. Of course the printed Index did not agree with the printed text.

Is there someway to get around this? Hide the codes?

Any other suggestions on printing out reports. I'm having quite a go of it. I'm using the Sort Date feature to arrange things, but it's a LOT of work, with constant going back and forth between Facts and Notes, etc to try get a coherant story.

dwayne fink

#5 diamondk

diamondk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 08:55 AM

Dwayne,

Pleas se the thread at http://www.rootsmagi...p?showtopic=533. You need to turn off the viewing of hidden text in whatever word processor you are using before creating an index and printing.

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE (Dwayne Fink @ Jul 13 2004, 08:51 AM)

Any other suggestions on printing out reports. I'm having quite a go of it. I'm using the Sort Date feature to arrange things, but it's a LOT of work, with constant going back and forth between Facts and Notes, etc to try get a coherant story.

dwayne fink

The wording of a fact is dictated by the way you define the sentence structure of the fact itself. ( Lists > Fact type list..., highlight the fact and click the edit button. )

Generally, in narrative reports:

The note for each fact follows directly after the fact sentence. A blank line at the start of a note will cause the note to start on a new line, a double blank line at the beginning of a note will cause it to start on a new line with a blank line preceding it.

The next chronological fact follows directly after the previous fact's note. If you want that next fact to start on a new line, add a carriage return, [Enter] to the end of the previous note, and if you want a blank line between a note and the next fact, two carriage returns, or one trailing blank line can be used. (One press of the [Enter] key for each new line.)

============
A person's general note follows all of the personal facts with no preceding line break. but there is a blank line between the personal information and the start of the family information.

A family general note follows the marriage and other family facts directly with no preceding line break. There seems to be no natural break between the family information and the spouse's personal information. The Spouse's personal information can be started on a new line by adding a carriage return, [Enter] to the end of the general family note. If there is no family general note, then the spouse's information followsdirectly, on the same line as the ending of the family information. A general family note could be inserted, with only one carriage return to force it on a new line.

The order is:
Personal facts and notes, personal general note.

Family facts and notes, family general note, spouse's facts and notes, spouse's general note.
"they had the following children"

1 i child one
2 ii child two ...

Alfred