Printing Rich Text Files

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dwayne_*

Guest_Dwayne_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2004 - 11:51 AM

edna.fink@asu.edu

I am trying to edit Narrative Repts using Rich Text Files, and publish directly from the edited versions.

The generated Index does not agree with the text printout - but does agree with the screen version. The reason, I suspect, is that the screen version has all the printing codes
{werwerqwererqe}, which do not print. Hence the printout is shorter than the screen version.

Is there some way to hide all these codes to that the Index does not see them? Or some other solution?

Or should I abandone rtf and go purchase Adobe Acrobate, so that I can edit/print from it??? I can edit/print in pdf, if I have the soft ware - can't I?

#2 diamondk

diamondk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 12:53 PM

What program are you using to view/edit your RTF? If you are using MSWord, you can go into Tools>Options>View and turn off Formatting marks>Hidden text, then create your index and it should match up.

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 03:38 PM

Turn off the "display codes."

In Word, it is the paragraph symbol on the toolbar.

Then re-generate the index.

ALWAYS do all of your editing and turn off any non printing things on the display before generating the index.
Alfred

#4 Guest_don_*

Guest_don_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2004 - 11:02 PM

Dwayne

No you cannot edit a PDF file even if you have Adobe Acrobat. I am not aware of any program that will edit a PDF file, however, with Adobe Acrobat you can save a PDF in several formats, including .rtf which you can open in a word processor and follow the instructions given by Alfred and diamondk in MSWord. In WordPerfect, I think the only thing that would insert extra text into the document is the Hidden Text feature, which would have to be generated from Word Perfect.

Don

#5 diamondk

diamondk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 03:59 AM

You can do limited editing of .pdf files using Adobe Exchange but it is very limited. It does not work as a word processor.

#6 jplacroix

jplacroix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 04:38 AM

There is a piece of software called PDF Converter that will convert a PDF (if the document was originally done in Word). I have used it at work on several occasions.

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 07:33 AM

A rhetorical question.

If you create a PDF document with an index and then figure out a way to do some editing, won't anything that changes locations from one page to another be listed incorrectly in the that index too?
Alfred

#8 Patricia

Patricia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 08:26 AM

The little bit of editing that one can do in Adobe Acrobat only allows one to edit a word or two or three. You can only correct minor typos within single lines. Text doesn't shift lines or pages. If you add in too much text within a line, it just runs off to the right of the page, and runs right off the page if you add too much.

#9 Guest_don_*

Guest_don_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2004 - 09:39 AM

The "TouchUp Text" tool in Adobe Acrobat does extend the text on a single line as Patricia notes, however, you can insert a "hard return or line break" by placing the cursor where you want the line break and pressing Enter. You can even change Fonts and some font attributes.

The bottom line is Adobe Acrobat /PDF files are not designed for word processing. For the best results use a word processor or text editor for editing your .rtf files and always turn off any "view codes" before re-generating the index. As Alfred points out, any additional text may cause pagination problems so you need to be aware of this and re-generate the index after any editing that might add or change pages.

Once you have made all your edits and regenerated the index in MSWord or WordPerfect you can publish to a PDF file from either program.

Don