6 replies to this topic

#1 GlenB

GlenB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:21 PM

Suggestions for Spell Check improvements:

#1 - provide a GUI for the user to edit the dictionary (is that SPL_USER.TLX?) Reason - when a word gets added by mistake how do you get rid of it? Would also like to paste in 5k worth of words that I have gathered in some other way.

#2 - provide a checkbox option to "ignore words all in upper case"

#3 - provide a checkbox option to "ignore possessives" (ie treat Fred's the same as Fred)

#4 - prepopulate your dictionary with a LARGE number of COMMON names (given names and surnames) which you could extract from Rootsweb or phone books or something else, just so I don't have to add Smith, Jones, Peter, Fred, etc etc etc. I recognize this can be particular to a region / language / culture / etc so may be it could be on the GUI to import common names of ... and then provide a drop down to multiselect from America, England, France, Netherlands, Sweden, etc etc.

#5 - if you're doing something with common names (see #4), might also provide a choice to import all given names and surnames from the current database. Yes, some of those might have errors but, as long as #1 above allows you to edit the dictionary that's OK.

#6 - when you are spell checking and it runs into a word not found please add a button that allows you to "suspend" the spell check so that the user can edit the whole note "in place" and then resume the spell check from that point. Here's why - I often type "int he" instead of "in the". The "int" is caught and I can correct it to "in" but the "he" is OK and I don't get a chance to change it to "the". I'd like to suspend, make this more complex edit manually, and restart from where I left off.

#2 landbrake

landbrake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE(GlenB @ Feb 1 2008, 04:21 PM) View Post

All very excellent ideas. I'd like to see all of these implemented.

#3 John James

John James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE(GlenB @ Feb 1 2008, 02:21 PM) View Post

All good ideas, so add my vote. Would be very useful to add lists of old illness' or occupations ar other things.

I would also like to see spell check expanded to include Description Fields on Facts.

#4 JohnG

JohnG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 09:07 AM

Count me in. I especially like #1 & #6
JohnG

#5 GlenB

GlenB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

This is a list of ideas from 5 years ago. Can anyone tell me what happened to them - were some adopted in RM, are others still pending, were some replaced by something else or ignored?

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4057 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.

I suspect some of these were not implemented because of the development of DataClean which is still in Beta in RM6.
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2364 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:28 AM

All good ideas, so add my vote. Would be very useful to add lists of old illness' or occupations ar other things.

I would also like to see spell check expanded to include Description Fields on Facts.

Yes I agree but I am surprised that no one spotted that RM does not spell check the Description field and others which are important data locations.

I believe I posted a wish many years ago for additional tables for illness and occupation but just in case I am going to post it again as I believe helping to maintain data accuracy and reference these should be part of RM. In the mean time feel free to visit my list below.

http://www.vyger.co.uk/reference/

Software Comparisons - Place Management - How other software packages stack up.
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research