Usual first name.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_Bob Bance_*

Guest_Guest_Bob Bance_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2004 - 11:27 AM

In many cultures, individual receive many names- so called nom de bapteme, in addition of their first name. ( Mine is George Jacques and Robert is my usual name. ) Would it be practical to underline the usual name, and to what extent, this would affect the operation of the program ?[Ged; Sorting etc ].
Alfred rolleyes.gif would tell us to use the Alt-name function, but this still does not help in emphasizing What we want to achieve. I manage a 40000 plus data base, and when possible, I ask my sources to underline the first name.

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 07:48 PM

No, just to be contrary, Alfred will not tell you to use the 'Alt" name. biggrin.gif

I am not familiar with how these multiple names work. I speak and understand every world language and custom, except Greek, and anything but middle USA English is Greek to me. laugh.gif (Just an old grammar school joke, I am surprised that I can remember it.))

How would the nickname work? It should work just fine if the name is not part of the given name, and even if it is, and not the 'first' of the names. The nickname can be noted either with parenthesis or quotation marks.

A way to emphasize the part of the name that is actually used might be worth looking into though.
Alfred

#3 Guest_Robert Bance_*

Guest_Robert Bance_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2004 - 12:05 PM

In my previous posting, I should have added, that in the so many cultures, niknames, affectionate names are widely used to the point that individuals are more remembered by the nicknames. Therefore, the Nickname window fits the bill in RM. --- Sorry Alfred sad.gif

#4 yksin

yksin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 05:52 PM

Perhaps you can use a variation of what I did.

I have a number of relatives who go (or went) by their middle names rather than their first names, but I would not really classify their middle names as "nicknames." For example, my grandfather James Claude Green always went by his middle name Claude. I created a new fact called "Name preference," with the associated sentence for reports reading "<He/she> was generally known by <his/her> middle name <value>" -- the value in this case being "Claude."

I usually put a sort date in of the day after the individual's date of birth, so that in automatically generated reports the name preference comes immediately after the report of the person's birth.

-- Mel

#5 Bob Bance

Bob Bance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 11:01 PM

Thanks for the idea. I have been using Family Origins since its inception and now Roots Magic.An I'd be curious to know where to go to create this new fact. I had no idea it was possible. Direct me to the proper path.
Bob

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3477 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 02:05 AM

FAMILY ORIGINS:
Lists->Fact Type->New Type

ROOTSMAGIC:
Lists->Fact Type Lists->Design new fact type

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#7 Marge

Marge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (yksin @ Jun 28 2004, 06:52 PM)
I have a number of relatives who go (or went) by their middle names rather than their first names, but I would not really classify their middle names as "nicknames." 
  -- Mel

I, also, have ancestors who went by their middle name, including my mother who insisted that only that name appear on her headstone, which after much discussion all five of us children finally agreed. I put the middle name in the nickname box because essentially it was a nickname because all legal records use only the given name or initial and later generations need to know to look for my ancestors and related lines in non-legal (e.g. census) areas by the name usually used by the person. Gosh that got convoluted, but I think I got my meaning across. There has to be a consistent way of letting future generations that a lot of people they may be tracking used a name other than the first name. unsure.gif

#8 traveler856

traveler856

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 10:59 AM

I have been in the habit of using capital letters when the middle name is the preferred or 'known by' name. I was afraid to underline and felt that quotes or parentheses didn't show it was a legal middle name. I also didn't know what various programs would do with the symbols.

I am not sure if my suggestion would address all of your issues.

Traveler856

#9 jjmick

jjmick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 08:33 AM

This has been a problem for years, especially when doing family research or conducting investigations, and no one has ever come up with a universally accepted solution. Both my Dad and I were/are known by our nicknames. In fact, I doubt that there are 10 people in the world that know me by my actual given names outside of my family. I am anxious to see what comes of this topic "thread" because there are many instances just like this where a person is known by other than their given names and never the two shall meet.

#10 Canyon Wolf

Canyon Wolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 09:44 AM

I always put the full proper name where is belongs. Used to put the name they went by in quotes after it - now that we have the nickname field in RM, I have begun moving the "known by" name to the nickname field. If they are known by their first name (as a majority probably are) I put nothing in the nickname field, but if they are known by their middle name (or someother name altogether), than it would be repeated in the nickname field and show up in reports in qutoes or parenthesis depending on which option you chose. That nickname field shows up most any plcae you want it to so alerts you to the fact they don't go by their first name. This seems a good solution based on what we currently have to work with.

That's my opinion wink.gif

Canyon Wolf

#11 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2078 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 10:47 AM

I completely agree. I also changed to this same convention, and it's worked out great for me.