• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 j. meredith

j. meredith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:10 PM

I have created a GEDCOM from RootsMagic so I can import it into TNG "The Next Generation" of Genealogy Web sitebuilding. When I imported my GEDCOM, I noticed that some individuals where assigned to two familes (from centuries apart.) I thought the problem might be in the TNG import, but when I looked at the raw data in the GEDCOM, sure enough, the GEDCOM had giving two family numbers to the one individual.

I went back to my RootsMagic database and looked at the individuals involved and they are only linked to one set of parents. Why is RootsMagic creating a second family during the GEDCOM export?

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:35 AM

Most individuals have two family numbers, one FAMS and one FAMC

If there are two FAMS entries for a person, then that person is linked as the parent in two different families
If there are two FAMC entries per person, then that person is linked as a child in two families.

IF the GEDCOM file shows two families, then, most likely the database it came from has him linked to two families. This is the first I have heard of RootsMagic adding a link in a GEDCOM file that isn't in the database.
Alfred

#3 Douglas Meredith

Douglas Meredith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Oct 1 2006, 12:35 AM) View Post

Most individuals have two family numbers, one FAMS and one FAMC

If there are two FAMS entries for a person, then that person is linked as the parent in two different families
If there are two FAMC entries per person, then that person is linked as a child in two families.

IF the GEDCOM file shows two families, then, most likely the database it came from has him linked to two families. This is the first I have heard of RootsMagic adding a link in a GEDCOM file that isn't in the database.

Well, in my database, there are mulitple cases where only in the GEDCOM export is the individual linked to two set of parents using the FAMC code. I understand this might have to do with a LDS sealing to parents which creates a subordinate FAMC reference. However, nowhere in RM is there a link to the second set of parents. The individual is linked to one set of parents and is sealed to the same. This is a curious problem. I checked out whehter a LDS seal to parents event requies the parents being listed and my check is inconclusive. There are instances where the parents are not listed in the event -- there is a drop down box with the parrents listed as the second option, the first option is "blank" or no entry -- and the GEDCOM export is just fine. For other instances, the person is linked with a 2 FAMC code to a completely different family. I didn't realize this was happening unitl importing into TNG where both set of parents are listed.

Any thoughts?

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:42 PM

Try creating a new database and importing the GEDCOM into it.

do those dual par4ents show up in this new database?

If not, then there probably isn't any problem.
I do not use any of the LDS facts, so I cannot comment on them.
Alfred

#5 Douglas Meredith

Douglas Meredith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Oct 3 2006, 06:42 PM) View Post

Try creating a new database and importing the GEDCOM into it.

do those dual par4ents show up in this new database?

If not, then there probably isn't any problem.
I do not use any of the LDS facts, so I cannot comment on them.

I created a new database and imported the GEDCOM as you suggested. The RM connections look just fine. Meaning there is one set of parents listed for the person -- there isn't any link to any other parents in the LDS facts or anywhere else for that matter. However, when I create a GEDCOM from this database, this person has the following (partial GEDCOM list for the person)

2 DATE 7 APR 1993
2 TEMP LOGAN
2 FAMC @F162@
2 SOUR @S3@
1 DEAT Y
1 FAMC @F43@
0 @I226@ INDI

There are two FAMC references. The correct one is 1 FAMC and the off-the-wall one is 2 FAMC. I wrote a note to Bruce to figure out how/what/why and expect he will get back to me. In the meantime, I guess nobody has had this probelm. I don't know if it is my database or not. So it would be great if someone else had experienced the same issue with a GEDCOM export. The crazy thing is that the 2 FAMC reference doesn't appear to have any direct tie with this person. There is no listing of the second family and no parent link etc. Strange.

Thanks for the advice and I will let you know what happens.

Douglas.

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:59 PM

OK, but only the 1 FAMC one refers to the person above with the "0 @I##@ INDI" above it.

The "@ FAMC @F162@" is in reference to something on the 1 (one) level directly above it. It does not actually refer to the individual, only to something that refers to the individual.

Every number refers ONLY to the next lower number above it.

A two cannot refer to a zero, only to a one.

Since you didn't quote quite enough for me to see what the 1 (one) level tag is above the "@ FAMC" reference, I can only guess that it might have something to do with the LDS ordinances.
Alfred

#7 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Oct 3 2006, 09:59 PM) View Post

OK, but only the 1 FAMC one refers to the person above with the "0 @I##@ INDI" above it.

The "@ FAMC @F162@" is in reference to something on the 1 (one) level directly above it. It does not actually refer to the individual, only to something that refers to the individual.

Since you didn't quote quite enough for me to see what the 1 (one) level tag is above the "@ FAMC" reference, I can only guess that it might have something to do with the LDS ordinances.

Do you have LDS support turned on so you can see the temple-specific facts?

#8 Douglas Meredith

Douglas Meredith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:25 AM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Oct 3 2006, 10:59 PM) View Post

Sorry for the cut job. Here is the record:

0 @I317@ INDI
1 NAME Alice /Hill/
2 GIVN Alice
2 SURN Hill
1 SEX F
1 _UID 306FF083EBC3D5119505E8448A977E414C51
1 CHAN
2 DATE 10 Jul 2004
1 SOUR @S1@
1 BIRT
2 DATE 9 OCT 1855
2 PLAC Ogden, Weber, Utah
1 ENDL
2 DATE 23 JAN 1879
2 TEMP EHOUS
2 SOUR @S3@
1 SLGC
2 DATE 7 APR 1993
2 TEMP LOGAN
2 FAMC @F224@
2 SOUR @S3@
1 DEAT Y
1 FAMC @F55@

You can tell better than I can. The 2 FAMC code is in refernece to an LDS action. Since my last post, I have identifed 40 known cases of this problem. I am going to manually change these 40 cases. All other cases involving 15K persons are okay concerning this issue. I am trying to track down the commonality for these 40 cases.

Thanks for your help.

Douglas.

#9 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 01:02 AM

I don't know why you are bothered by this.
If you don't understand the GEDCOM standards, You can go to this site and study them.

GEDCOM 5.5 - The Standard

AT:
http://www.vjet.demo...tml/gedcom.html

--the pertinant part follows, I still don't know anything about the LDS facts.---

Chapter 2

Lineage-Linked Grammar

--snip--

n SLGC {1:1}

+1 STAT <LDS_CHILD_SEALING_DATE_STATUS> {0:1} p.*

+1 DATE <DATE_LDS_ORD> {0:1} p.*

+1 TEMP <TEMPLE_CODE> {0:1} p.*

+1 PLAC <PLACE_LIVING_ORDINANCE> {0:1} p.*

+1 FAMC @<XREF:FAM>@ {1:1} p.*

+1 <<SOURCE_CITATION>> {0:M} p.*

+1 <<NOTE_STRUCTURE>> {0:M} p.*

]