#1 vlanders

vlanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 07:20 AM

Hi,

I have a request regarding the family facts. I understand, when showing a husband and wife, that the family facts show under the husband's name, and are not repeated for the wife. But, when running a Family Group Sheet, all family facts for the female children are lost. For example, I have residences for the female children showing only until they are married, and then again after they are widowed. But the residence facts during their marriage are not showing on the Family Group Sheet. (Again, I am speaking about the females listed as children on the Family Group Sheet.)

I understand that these facts will appear if I run a Family Group Sheet for the family in which the female in question is the wife. But I don't want to do this for all the female siblings of my ancestors. Yet, when running the Family Group Sheet for the ancestor, I would like to see all the facts for the siblings, including family facts.

I hope I have explained myself. If there is already a way to get the information I want, please let me know. Thanks!

#2 Guest_don_*

Guest_don_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:27 AM

You may have used the Residence (family) fact rather than the Residence fact. The Residence (family) will not show for the individual children, male or female, in a Family Group Sheet

#3 vlanders

vlanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:15 PM

Don,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am talking about the Residence(Family) fact, which isn't appearing for the children. And, yeah, I just noticed now that it isn't appearing for the males, either. When I wrote my post, I thought it was only the females.

For example, let's say I have a Family Group Sheet for the Jones family. They have two children, John and Peter. John married at the age of 25, but Peter remained single. My Family Group Sheet lists their parents at the top, along with all pertinent facts. For the children, it lists Peter's residence for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, and 1900 (all individual facts). For John, it lists his residence for 1850 and 1860 (individual facts), then no information appears on the Family Group Sheet regarding his whereabouts in 1870, 1880, or 1900 (during which time he was married, and his residence was entered as a Family fact along with his wife). His wife died, and low and behold, widowed John now appears with his 1910 residence on the Family Group Sheet (again, as an individual, not a family, fact). Reading the Family Group Sheet, it gives the impression that I don't know where he was during the entire time he was married!

The only work around I can think of is to simply add ALL facts as individual facts, and not use the Family facts. Is there any particular advantage to adding a fact as a family fact as opposed to as an individual fact for each spouse?

#4 Guest_don_*

Guest_don_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE(vlanders @ Sep 17 2006, 01:15 PM) View Post

The only work around I can think of is to simply add ALL facts as individual facts, and not use the Family facts. Is there any particular advantage to adding a fact as a family fact as opposed to as an individual fact for each spouse?

The advantage, if you can call it that, is the spouse shows in the family fact.