• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Linda - Arizona

Linda - Arizona

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:52 PM

I am helping a friend with his data base. He has 38 individuals who share a common "distinction" and wants to copy them to a new, separate data base. He wants to leave them in the main data base, just copy those 38 individuals out to a new one.

I've checked the forum topics, the manual and the on-line help. I see no reference to this. Is this something that can or cannot be done? If it can be done, would all the sources and notes be able to be copied over to the new, separate data base?

Any tips and hints for doing this? I'm technologically challenged, so please be very "elementary" in your instructions <grin>

Linda

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:13 PM

What is the common distinction?

Is it part of one of the facts or part of a name or something.

Export a GEDCOM file of selected people, then when selecting the people, click the "Mark People" button and select by data fields. That should work if these people have something in common.
Alfred

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE(Linda - Arizona @ Aug 9 2006, 05:52 PM) View Post

If it can be done, would all the sources and notes be able to be copied over to the new, separate data base?

Any tips and hints for doing this? I'm technologically challenged, so please be very "elementary" in your instructions <grin>
Linda

All the notes and sources for those 38 people will be copied into the new database.

Laura

#4 Uncle Rusty

Uncle Rusty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:49 PM

I had a similar problem, which I may have listed on another forum.
I wanted to be able to export a gedcom of a selected family tree from a root person rather than select individual members and export them. Selecting names out of hundreds can be challenging blink.gif .
I solved the problem for now by creating a new database, named for the desired root person.
I then add the root person into the new database, typing his or her name as the first individual in the database.
Having both the original and new databases open, I then "click and drag" the original person into his or her name in the new database. Up pops a menu asking if ancestors, spouses, descendants, etc... are to be copied as well. I mark the choice and Wow biggrin.gif , a whole new database of a selected tree. I can now make a specific gedcom file from the new database.

#5 Guest_Russell_*

Guest_Russell_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:12 AM

I suggest the following:
Color code the 38 names.
Create a new file named appropriately.
View both files on the screen.
Left click on anyone in your main file and drag to the new file.
A window will open for you to select "Let me select people from a list."
Select the green arrow to "mark people" and "select people by data fields."
For Field search, select color code.
For condition, select your color.
Good luck, Russell