6 replies to this topic

#1 Jillaine Smith

Jillaine Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:12 PM

I have a case where a woman had two children while she was single. They have as their last name her maiden name. ERICKSON.

Ten years later, the woman married ZIMMERLE.

I see that on the Family Page, I can click on one of the ERICKSON children and change RELATIONSHIP to STEP (for some reason it came through the FTM import as "Birth"). But what's not clear to me is STEP to WHOM?

Unlike the ADOPTED relationship, STEP does not let you indicate STEP to WHOM. In this case, the child is a step child of the husband.

But how can one tell?

Please advise.

Thanks.

-- Jillaine
p.s. BTW, I'm enjoying the "Potential Problem List" which is one of the few reports in RM that allows you to edit the problem records right there from the list. VERY NICE. Thanks, BruceMagician!

#2 Guest_don_*

Guest_don_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2006 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE(Jillaine Smith @ May 20 2006, 01:12 PM) View Post

I have a case where a woman had two children while she was single. They have as their last name her maiden name. ERICKSON.

Ten years later, the woman married ZIMMERLE.

I see that on the Family Page, I can click on one of the ERICKSON children and change RELATIONSHIP to STEP (for some reason it came through the FTM import as "Birth"). But what's not clear to me is STEP to WHOM?

Unlike the ADOPTED relationship, STEP does not let you indicate STEP to WHOM. In this case, the child is a step child of the husband.

But how can one tell?

Please advise.

Thanks.

-- Jillaine
p.s. BTW, I'm enjoying the "Potential Problem List" which is one of the few reports in RM that allows you to edit the problem records right there from the list. VERY NICE. Thanks, BruceMagician!

I'm sure I am not understanding what you are looking for here. You have 2 children with a surname of ERICKSON in a family where Mr. ZIMMERLE is shown as the father and married to Miss ERICKSON and you cannot tell which is the step parent. Is that correct? unsure.gif

#3 Jillaine Smith

Jillaine Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE(don @ May 20 2006, 12:15 PM) View Post

I'm sure I am not understanding what you are looking for here. You have 2 children with a surname of ERICKSON in a family where Mr. ZIMMERLE is shown as the father and married to Miss ERICKSON and you cannot tell which is the step parent. Is that correct? unsure.gif

Here's my family page:

Husband: Mr. Zimmerle
Wife: Ms. Erickson (her maiden name)

Son Erickson [blood son of Ms. Erickson; stepson of Mr. Zimmerle]
Son Erickson [ditto]
Son Zimmerle [blood child of both Erickson/Zimmerle]

To the right of each of the children is an option to select their relationship to [the parents].
If I selected ADOPTED for the Erickson boys, I would be given the choice of who was the adopted parent: the mother *and/or* the father.
But for selecting STEP, there is no choice-- just "step". While in this particular case it might seem obvious that the Erickson boys are step children of Mr. Zimmerle what if they were step children of Ms. Erickson?
I.e., there's no apparent way to disinguish who they're step children OF on this family page.

Please advise.

Thanks.

-- Jillaine

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 03:45 PM

I wouldn't worry about it for now.

This relationship thing does not show up on any reports yet anyway.
I look for a future version to list the child/parent relationship in some of the reports. By that time, I think that there will also be a choice on the "step" as there is now with adopted.

In an earlier version, adopted had no choice, there were some wishes so now it does. Now I have heard that that both parents adopt a child, even if it is already the natural child of one of them.

There just aint no way for Bruce to please everyone.
Alfred

#5 Jillaine Smith

Jillaine Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ May 21 2006, 02:45 PM) View Post

I wouldn't worry about it for now.

I look for a future version to list the child/parent relationship in some of the reports. By that time, I think that there will also be a choice on the "step" as there is now with adopted.

In an earlier version, adopted had no choice, there were some wishes so now it does. Now I have heard that that both parents adopt a child, even if it is already the natural child of one of them.

Thanks for the reply; I'll choose to not worry and be happy. :-)

Here's a screen shot of how FTM does it in case Magic Bruce wants a suggestion for how to go about it:

http://freepages.gen...therParents.jpg

There are pull down menus for each parent; you can also add other parents from this menu (but that's a different topic, although related ;-)

Still here and hopeful,

-- Jillaine

#6 Ken Meyers

Ken Meyers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:25 AM

QUOTE(Alfred @ May 22 2006, 12:45 AM) View Post

I agree with Jilliane. I would like to have this possibility added and I would like to see this type information in narrative reports, and specifically which (or if both) parent(s) adopted the child and likewise for step children. In some cases the step children are obvious by name, but in other cases they are not.

Really!!!! laugh.gif And I thought he was a magician.

#7 Marge

Marge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE(Ken Meyers @ May 22 2006, 01:25 AM) View Post

I agree with Jilliane. I would like to have this possibility added and I would like to see this type information in narrative reports, and specifically which (or if both) parent(s) adopted the child and likewise for step children. In some cases the step children are obvious by name, but in other cases they are not.

My wish would be inclusion in all reports for foster parents also since my father was reared by foster parents and he considered them his parents (even tho they weren't related by blood).