Child Birth on the Events Section

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_Joe_*_*

Guest_Guest_Joe_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:55 AM

I, am just beging to play around with the trial version, why do births not show up in the facts and events section for each ininvual? I can see the age that someone was married, died etc, also there is no way to add a childbirth in this events section. Is this just true of the demo, or do I need to change a setting, or does it just not do it if so why?

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:00 PM

Birth only show up on the edit person window "facts and events?" if it has been entered.

You can click the "add a fact" button and select birth to add the date and/or place of birth.
Alfred

#3 Guest_don_*

Guest_don_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:01 PM

If you are talking about the Edit Person menu then you will only see the facts and events for that individual, i.e. you will only see the birth date/event for that person.

To add a birth fact for the individual from this menu click on "Add a fact" located on the right side of the menu and you are given a choice of all facts available, choose Birth and you will be shown a screen where you can add the information. Once you have the fact completed and with the fact highlighted you can add Notes and/or sources, these options are also located to the right on the Edit Individual screen.

#4 vlanders

vlanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 06:50 AM

I also would like to see the birth of a child appear in the Facts and Events section for the parent(s).

Just for fun, I toyed around with this idea, adding a fact "Birth of Child", Abbrev. "Child", with the sentence: <His/Her> child <value> was born <date> <place>. I liked the way the fact came out, and it was certainly useful to see the birth of each child listed chronologically on the parent's events screen, along with the age of the parent when the child was born.

However, adding the information for this fact manually is simply not practical for me, with over 3,000 names in my data base.

It would be nice to see something like this done automatically, though. In fact, to be honest, I'm rather surprized it isn't there. Of all the events to occur in a persons life, surely the birth of a child is one of the most significant (especially in the field of genealogy!)

#5 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:13 AM

What would your screen look like with 18 to 22 children? Yes, I have some of those families. How about 2 or 3 marriages? Should all the children be listed under which parent? If Father was Dad to all children but different mothers, should they be listed under the father in the facts & events screen for the father? I often wonder how much we are asking of a $29 program!!!
JIM.B.NH

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 08:41 AM

It would be nice to see something like this done automatically, though. In fact, to be honest, I'm rather surprized it isn't there. Of all the events to occur in a persons life, surely the birth of a child is one of the most significant

I would think that the family view main screen covered that rather well. If you want to add the birth of children to the individuals, you can add a user defined fact, "Child Birth" using the description fac. Then use the description for the child's name, and maybe weight and/or length.

Alfred

#7 vlanders

vlanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE(Jim Belanger @ Feb 25 2006, 09:13 AM) View Post

What would your screen look like with 18 to 22 children? Yes, I have some of those families. How about 2 or 3 marriages? Should all the children be listed under which parent? If Father was Dad to all children but different mothers, should they be listed under the father in the facts & events screen for the father? I often wonder how much we are asking of a $29 program!!!

How does the screen look with 18 children? Long! You have to scroll down, but then you have to do that when there are more facts than fit on a page anyway. As far as multiple marriages, I tried adding the new "Birth of Child" fact as Fact Type: Family. That way, for each child, the program automatically asks you to choose the spouse that this family fact corrosponds to. The screen ended up looking like this:

Fact Date Details Age
Birth xx/xx/1950 Place of birth 0
Baptism xx/xx/1951 Details of baptism 1
Marriage xx/xx/1972 Spouse1's name - Place of Marriage 22
Child xx/xx/1975 Child1's name - Spouse1 - Place of birth 25
Divorce xx/xx/1880 Spouse1's name 30
Marriage xx/xx/1882 Spouse2's name - Place of Marriage 32
Child xx/xx/1885 Child2's name - Spouse1 - Place of birth 35

I kind of liked it, actually. But, as I say, I have better things to do than to manually add "Birth of Child" facts for everyone on my database! And I agree with you that the RM program is more than worth the $29 I paid for it.

Alfred - although the family view main screen does list the children, I liked seeing them on the Facts screen for two reasons: (1) I could see the parent's age at the birth of each child and (2) I could visually see how the birth of the children fit in, chronologically, with the other events in the person's life.

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:56 PM

There are pros and cons to having the children on the Edit Fact page.

It would be nice to see the age of the parent.

However, I tried using a user defined fact for this purpose for one family I was was entering, and found it to be very irritating clutter for me. So if this feature was added, I would definitely want it to be optional.

Laura

#9 Canyon Wolf

Canyon Wolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:50 PM

I would love to see the births of children show on an individual's edit screen and in their narritive reports. But I also agree that it should be an option that is easy to turn on and off. rolleyes.gif

Canyon Wolf

#10 Shawn

Shawn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 01:12 AM

Having the ability to see the age at which a mother gave birth is incredibily useful- and other programs have it - and they don't cost more. I am surprised it's not there! Don't argue price $29.00 - $59.00 what's the difference- I won't go poor with either price- I want what I want in a program. This program should have it period! I'd buy this program @ $29.00 and also $40.00 - however, it has everything I want except age at birth for the mother. I'd give up the web site and cd creation just to have this event feature. It's important in evaluating a persons life and quickly observing when "ALL" things happened. I use PAF curently with The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding for my site. I am looking to upgrade from PAF which has served me well with something that has more visual info. My next software will have the EVENT(automatic for all individuals) AGE AT CHILDBIRTH. This is an excellent program - among the best- but I will buy what "I" need!

Shawn Gearin

celticgenealogy.org

#11 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:14 AM

Fact Date Details Age
Birth xx/xx/1950 Place of birth 0
Baptism xx/xx/1951 Details of baptism 1
Marriage xx/xx/1972 Spouse1's name - Place of Marriage 22
Child xx/xx/1975 Child1's name - Spouse1 - Place of birth 25
Divorce xx/xx/1880 Spouse1's name 30
Marriage xx/xx/1882 Spouse2's name - Place of Marriage 32
Child xx/xx/1885 Child2's name - Spouse1 - Place of birth 35

I kind of liked it, actually. But, as I say, I have better things to do than to manually add "Birth of Child" facts for everyone on my database! And I agree with you that the RM program is more than worth the $29 I paid for it.

Alfred - although the family view main screen does list the children, I liked seeing them on the Facts screen for two reasons: (1) I could see the parent's age at the birth of each child and (2) I could visually see how the birth of the children fit in, chronologically, with the other events in the person's life.
[/quote]

Sounds very interesting and I agree this may be useful but, how about in a family report like the Family Group Sheet? I certainly could live with that format at the click of a button using already entered data.
JIM.B.NH

#12 Arild Kompelien

Arild Kompelien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 04:49 PM

To-day there are three kinds of Views - Pedigree, Family and Descendants. In addition there could be a Person View, showing the highlighted person (with parents), and underneath that all the facts for that person - spouses, children, occupation etc. From this Person View new facts, notes etc. could be added. In other words a kind of new Edit Person window.