3 replies to this topic

#1 echobob

echobob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:06 PM

Hello,
Would someone please tell me how I would put photos and also obituaries in to the Photo page? I can't seem to find anything in the "Help" list that would help me.
Thank you so much.
Echo

#2 Guest_don_*

Guest_don_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:34 PM

Help>Help Topics (or hit F1)> then click on the small key icon to bring up the help index and scroll to Multimedia Scrapbook for help on the subject.

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:46 PM

Are you trying to put them into the database or get them out with a report.

I will assume you are trying to add them into your database.

You can store many types of files in the multimedia scrapbook, but graphics or picture files are the most common. These picture files have several common extens: JPG, BMP, TIF and GIF. (I probably missed a couple)
You can add photos files two ways, link existing photo files to someone or something's scrapbook or scan directly from the RootsMagic'a multimedia scrapbook. (If you have a scanner and scanning software set up.)

For now, just linking an existinf file is enough.

On the RootsMagic screen, Highlight the person you want to add a picture to.
press the "Enter" key to bring up the Edit Person window
Click the multimedia tab to show six blank pidtures and some buttons on the right.
Click the add button
The dialog window says "Edit Scrapbook item" but we use it to get a new one too.
In the upper left is a choice window for the type of item. We will stick with the default, Photo/Image
You can enter the date and reference number if you want, but it may be best to add them after we have found the photo. So click the browse button. This opens the file find in the folder you designated as the default folder for multimedia items in the options. work your way through the photo files and as you land on each one it is previewed at the right. When you find the one you want, either double click it or click the "Open" button. You can add a caption and/or description for the photo, or just click to OK button and it's location is recorded in the multimedia scrapbook. You can edit the caption/description or other things by browsing to the photo in the scrapook and clicking the properties button.

ONLY THE LOCATION AND NAME OF THE FILE IS RECORDED IN YOUR SCRAPBOOK, THE PHOTO FILE STAYS WHERE IT IS.
But if you view/edit it and change it somehow, the changes are done to the original photo file. So be carefull with originals, it may be best to keep JPG copies just for onscreen viewing. (JPG because they are highly compressed)

Alfred

#4 echobob

echobob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Jan 22 2006, 06:46 PM) View Post

Are you trying to put them into the database or get them out with a report.

I will assume you are trying to add them into your database.

You can store many types of files in the multimedia scrapbook, but graphics or picture files are the most common. These picture files have several common extens: JPG, BMP, TIF and GIF. (I probably missed a couple)
You can add photos files two ways, link existing photo files to someone or something's scrapbook or scan directly from the RootsMagic'a multimedia scrapbook. (If you have a scanner and scanning software set up.)

For now, just linking an existinf file is enough.

On the RootsMagic screen, Highlight the person you want to add a picture to.
press the "Enter" key to bring up the Edit Person window
Click the multimedia tab to show six blank pidtures and some buttons on the right.
Click the add button
The dialog window says "Edit Scrapbook item" but we use it to get a new one too.
In the upper left is a choice window for the type of item. We will stick with the default, Photo/Image
You can enter the date and reference number if you want, but it may be best to add them after we have found the photo. So click the browse button. This opens the file find in the folder you designated as the default folder for multimedia items in the options. work your way through the photo files and as you land on each one it is previewed at the right. When you find the one you want, either double click it or click the "Open" button. You can add a caption and/or description for the photo, or just click to OK button and it's location is recorded in the multimedia scrapbook. You can edit the caption/description or other things by browsing to the photo in the scrapook and clicking the properties button.

ONLY THE LOCATION AND NAME OF THE FILE IS RECORDED IN YOUR SCRAPBOOK, THE PHOTO FILE STAYS WHERE IT IS.
But if you view/edit it and change it somehow, the changes are done to the original photo file. So be carefull with originals, it may be best to keep JPG copies just for onscreen viewing. (JPG because they are highly compressed)

Hi Alfred,
Just wanted to tell you your instructions were jus A-o:k and worked great for me to put the obituaries in my genealogy program. Want to thank you for the help; really I do appreciate it. Thank you Don, too. rolleyes.gif