• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Iowa Sue

Iowa Sue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:16 PM

The icon for the file on the back-up CD-RW I made is a zip file icon. When I try to back up the next time to this same CD, I get a "burn error." I thought maybe I needed to open the zip file before I backed up to it. But the zip file will not open. Is it supposed too open?
I tried to erase the zip file but get a message saying the file is a "read 0nly" file and can't be deleted.
Any suggestions?

#2 aplucinik

aplucinik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 12:18 AM

The behavior you're describing sounds more like a CD-R disk than CD-RW. Are you sure these aren't CD-R disks? Once you burn data to a CD-R you can never burn data to that disk again. Also it is not possible to edit or delete files/data that has been burned to a CD-R. If you want to make another backup, you need to insert a new and blank CD.

Also, with CD burning software it is possible to issue a command to make the CDRW disk "read-only", in other words don't allow any additional data to be burned to this CD. So it's possible you issued that command somehow without realizing it.

#3 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:48 AM

Yes, your backups will be zip files. Unless you set your CD write process to allow future writing to the CD, it will be closed to future "write" operations. You can, however, leave it open. Some write programs will overwrite an existing file by the same name. All it does is render the existing file "hidden" and write the new one. To use your backups, you would need to copy the zip file to your hard drive and then use the "restore" function in RM. If your zip file is on your hard drive, you should be able to unzip it using several different methods.
JIM.B.NH