• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wf21155

wf21155

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:44 PM

First try did'nt work. Where are the instructions for posting?
I'm trying to print out a descendant wall chart on my inkjet printer so the boxes don't get split at the paper edge.I've tried changing: box dimensions, horizontal spacing,with page border layouts,but these have to be done before creating the chart.Can it be done with an existing chart? I've tried grouping and moving. Works but cumbersome.
I'd like to organize the chart before putting on disk and sending to printer.

Wayne

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE(wf21155 @ Nov 27 2005, 12:44 AM)
First try did'nt work. Where are the instructions for posting?
-=SNIP=-

Wayne
Instructions for posting are HERE<--->http://www.rootsmagi...&CODE=01&HID=12

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 12:46 AM

There isn't an easy way to get the boxes to miss the edges of the pages when printing.

You can choose to make the page edges show up in the wall chart with the view menu.
Then in the layout menu, enlarge the canvas size to make room to move the boxes down and to the right a bit.

I like to use the left to right or right to left orientation ecause it is closer to square than the top to bottom is. That is because I have more people in a generation than I have generations and the boxes are wider than they are high.

So, I just finish out the right hand sheet or add one to make room from side to sied, and add a sheet or two to the vertical dimension.

This one that I just used for testing worked quite nicely with seven boxes high and three wide. (I had them 2.25" wide by 1.3" high and spacing of 0.20" both ways.

Make the chart small enough so that you can see a copule sheets at a time, go to the right and move the last two or three generations to fit into the right hand column by draging the selection border around them. point to one box, push the button and start dragging to the right. After you have dragged a little bit, you can press the shift key while dragging to keep them at the same vertical position.

You can select a whole page at a timeor an individual box or two to move, the shift key will help you keep them aligned. (Just release the mouse button before you release the shift key.)

It is a bit tedious, but once you get the hang of it, it moves right along.

------------------
Instructions for posting?
I guess there aren't any. You just have to experiment.

---------------
I stand corrected! blink.gif
Alfred

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 01:10 AM

QUOTE(wf21155 @ Nov 27 2005, 12:44 AM)
I'm trying to print out a descendant wall chart on my inkjet printer so the boxes don't get split at the paper edge.I've tried changing: box dimensions, horizontal spacing,with page border layouts,but these have to be done before creating the chart.Can it be done with an existing chart? I've tried grouping and moving. Works but cumbersome.
I'd like to organize the chart before putting on disk and sending to printer.

Unfortunately, because all printers feature different specifications, capabilities and options... RootsMagic must FIRST communicate through Windows printer drivers in order to determine HOW to format the charts. For example, some will not let margins be set to 0. Some can zoom, shrink to fit -or- resize to a percentage of original size. Some can support multiple -or- larger size paper formats, higher resolutions etc.

Some best bets might be to set margins to -smallest- possible settings, both in RM's Wallchart Layout -and- in Windows printer settings. Start out with Fonts that are -overly- small and adjust box size and spacing to accomodate your chart presentation within the page. Then, font size can be adjusted upward and hopefully you''ll arrive at some happy medium for your particular printer.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 wf21155

wf21155

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Nov 26 2005, 11:46 PM)

I stand corrected!  blink.gif

View Post

thanks. Didn't know about moving the whole page or drawing the selection box.Saves a lot of time.

You certaintl are quick and very helpful.

Wayne