#1 lmparks6838

lmparks6838

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 03:31 PM

Hi,

I work jointly on a database with people located across the U.S. and in Germany. We decided the best way to share would be to have only one of us work on the database at a time, then when that person is done with their work, they would distribute a backup to the rest via Yousendit.com, which allows you to send large files for free. We did not want to do GEDCOM's because there's too many private notes that we would always have to remember to check and uncheck when sending.

So, our German person loaded the backup file to Yousendit.com, and I got the notice that I could go get it. I downloaded it, and restored the backup just fine. She had put a note in the following location so that we could be sure it was the correct and latest version of the database before I started working: Tools>Options>Preparer>Website. She put her name and the date in that field. I saw her name there, as expected, but the two other members of our group also downloaded the file and restored on their machines, and they just saw a blank field. However, the changes made to the people in the database by the German person were all there. We thought that was a little strange.

So last night, I decided to upload a backup to Yousendit.com, and have the other three people download and restore. The German person still sees her own name in the Website field I described above. The other two people still see a blank field. I had changed it to read my own name and yesterday's date. Yet, the changes I made to the database itself are all there (I think).

What's going on? sad.gif
Thanks!
Linda

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 04:26 PM

Hmmm, Very interesting.

I restored a couple of backups and the preparer information came with them.

BUT, if I restored an existing database, overwriting it, the original preparer information seemed to remain.

---

Try renaming the existing database, even if it is to add one character, like a "1" to the end of it. then download and restore the backup and I think it will have the preparer information you want.

You will have two databases with the changes by the latest person in the one with their preparer information. The old one, with the added character, can be deleted after you compare them if you want.
Alfred

#3 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 02:36 PM

Try renaming the existing database, even if it is to add one character, like a "1" to the end of it. then download and restore the backup and I think it will have the preparer information you want. 

You will have two databases with the changes by the latest person in the one with their preparer information. The old one, with the added character, can be deleted after you compare them if you want.

Alfred, your method works for us, but is an extra step that shouldn't need to be done. Is that a flaw in the program, that it won't restore the preparer information? We are wondering what other things aren't being properly restored, if any. Also, we don't want to make a mistake and delete the wrong data base in error, but I guess if that were to happen, we can just restore from our zip again.

~ Debbie