4 replies to this topic

#1 lmparks6838

lmparks6838

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 10:05 AM

I have a couple situations where I know about a marriage someone had, but that person does not want it to be known that that marriage ever occurred. I had been putting information like that in my own user-defined "private" fact type, but then I saw the ability in RM3 to mark any fact as private. So I happily put the marriage fact in, and then checked the "private" check box. However, when I print a report, the un-desireable spouse still shows up, but with no details about the marriage.

Obviously, RM is suppressing the fact information, but still shows the spouse's name. I would rather it suppressed that person entirely when I've marked a marriage as private. Am I misunderstanding the function of the private checkbox?

Thanks!
Linda

#2 Guest_don_*

Guest_don_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2005 - 12:03 PM

The private checkbox in the Edit Fact menu only makes the fact itself private. It does not make the individual private.

#3 Bob Bance

Bob Bance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE(lmparks6838 @ Oct 2 2005, 09:05 AM)
I have a couple situations where I know about a marriage someone had, but that person does not want it to be known that that marriage ever occurred. I had been putting information like that in my own user-defined "private" fact type, but then I saw the ability in RM3 to mark any fact as private. So I happily put the marriage fact in, and then checked the "private" check box. However, when I print a report, the un-desireable spouse still shows up, but with no details about the marriage.

Obviously, RM is suppressing the fact information, but still shows the spouse's name. I would rather it suppressed that person entirely when I've marked a marriage as private. Am I misunderstanding the function of the private checkbox?

Thanks!
Linda

View Post

#4 Bob Bance

Bob Bance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 01:28 PM

While I understand that the name of an individual, in a relaionship, may not be entered by choice, I don't get how one can keep the information of a marriage "private", by skipping one's name. Marriage, like many events , once registered, become public records. Or am I missing something here ?
Bob

#5 Guest_Charley Schnellbacher_*

Guest_Charley Schnellbacher_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2005 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE(Bob Bance @ Oct 2 2005, 12:28 PM)
Or am I missing something here ?
Bob

View Post

Yes, you are. Just because something is of public record doesn't mean it needs to be publicized .

Or, if you still disagree then you wouldn't mind sharing your birthdate, home address and telephone number (public records, of course) with all of us .....