• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 etgrand

etgrand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:39 AM

I have been using Family Origins for years and was about to upgrade to Roots Magic, but after reading some of your messages I'm a bit concerned. My Family Origins works fine, so is it really worth it to change to RM if it's having so many problems? unsure.gif

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE(etgrand @ Sep 24 2005, 10:39 AM)
I have been using Family Origins for years and was about to upgrade to Roots Magic, but after reading some of your messages I'm a bit concerned.  My Family Origins works fine, so is it really worth it to change to RM if it's having so many problems? unsure.gif

Well, I'm using RM 3.02 and am not having all these problems.

The only problem I am having is if I open the Edit Family screen, the father's name is not shown in the father box. That is a very minor bug and doesn't really detract from using the program. I expect Bruce will probably fix it shortly.

When you read the message boards you can get a very false impression about the program as typicially the users that are having problems are the ones that post.

All of us who are not having problems don't come to the boards to post that except in trying to help with a problem post.

And if you do have a problem, you can post on the message board, and get help to solve it.

I used FO from V. 1 and have used RM from V. 1. I have never regretted making the change.

Laura

#3 Guest_don_*

Guest_don_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2005 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE(Laura @ Sep 24 2005, 02:13 PM)
QUOTE(etgrand @ Sep 24 2005, 10:39 AM)
I have been using Family Origins for years and was about to upgrade to Roots Magic, but after reading some of your messages I'm a bit concerned.  My Family Origins works fine, so is it really worth it to change to RM if it's having so many problems? unsure.gif

Well, I'm using RM 3.02 and am not having all these problems.

The only problem I am having is if I open the Edit Family screen, the father's name is not shown in the father box. That is a very minor bug and doesn't really detract from using the program. I expect Bruce will probably fix it shortly.

When you read the message boards you can get a very false impression about the program as typicially the users that are having problems are the ones that post.

All of us who are not having problems don't come to the boards to post that except in trying to help with a problem post.

And if you do have a problem, you can post on the message board, and get help to solve it.

I used FO from V. 1 and have used RM from V. 1. I have never regretted making the change.

Laura

I too have used FO from v.1 thru 10 and loved the program. I have not experienced the problems some of the others have. The few "bugs" that I am aware of were fixed within a few days with version 3.0.2. A lot of the things you see on the message boards are not problems with the program but rather the lack of understanding of how to use some of the features correctly.

What you also see on the boards, as Laura points out, a lot of people willing to help you resolve any problems you do have. Additionally, I have contacted Tech Support a time or two and within a short time get great help from them.

Incidently I believe the problem Laura pointed out was fixed in 3.0.2 patch but in order to get rid of it you have to create a GEDCOM of your database, then import that GEDCOM into a new database. This gets rid of the problem links as they are not carried over in the new GEDCOM. I have not experienced this problem.

#4 Canyon Wolf

Canyon Wolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:56 AM

Oh yes rolleyes.gif it is worth changing over to RM - if you like FO you should love RM despite the little problems currently aflicking us becaue of this new release. wink.gif
I have faith that they will all get resolved.

Canyon Wolf

#5 Marge

Marge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:02 AM

I agree. I used FO from v 2 (I think) and switched to RM when it came available and love the software. I have had none of the problems mentioned in the forums. Try downloading the trial version and play around with it. That's the best way to decide. BTW if you import a gedcom from FO you might not be able to add anyone else.