• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 syboutsen

syboutsen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 04:15 PM

My other computer died. I had faithfully backed up onto floppies with no problems.
I bought a laptop (my first) but it came without a floppy drive. Now I do not know how to back up except to Drive C. I would like to backup to a CD if possible. How do I go about this?? Or do I have to go and buy an external floppy drive if that is possible. I have not checked to see if possible. sad.gif Marlene

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 05:27 PM

I bought a $40 external 3" floppy drive at WalMart about two years ago. I have used it about two or three times. Floppies are just about too small for anything anymore. Get yourself a USB flash memory device, you can get them 256MB, 512MB and 1GB now, and larger sizes shortly.

But, for backups, you can make permanent backups to CDs by sending the backup to the hard drive and copying that zip file to a CD with the CD writiong software.

The CD is probably large enough to hold several backups, you could store a weeks worth of backups on your hard drive, with dated names, then copy them all to one CD for archival purposes.
Alfred

#3 Dennis

Dennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 05:12 AM

QUOTE(syboutsen @ Aug 28 2005, 05:15 PM)
My other computer died.  I had faithfully backed up onto floppies with no problems.
I bought a laptop (my first) but it came without a floppy drive.  Now I do not know how to back up except to Drive C.  I would like to backup to a CD if possible.  How do I go about this??  Or do I have to go and buy an external floppy drive if that is possible.  I have not checked to see if possible. sad.gif Marlene

View Post

I just bought my mother a new puter but it came without a floppy... I went to CompUSA and bought one for $39.95. It is a USB floppy so there is no power cord to contend with.

Dennis

#4 Candy

Candy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE(syboutsen @ Aug 28 2005, 04:15 PM)
My other computer died.  I had faithfully backed up onto floppies with no problems.
I bought a laptop (my first) but it came without a floppy drive.  Now I do not know how to back up except to Drive C.  I would like to backup to a CD if possible.  How do I go about this??  Or do I have to go and buy an external floppy drive if that is possible.  I have not checked to see if possible. sad.gif Marlene

View Post

Hi Marlene,

How many 3.5" disks do you have the info on? If you wanted to mail me the disks, I will burn them to a CD for you.

Sometimes stores like Kinko's or Office Max, Office Depot are also able to take the disks and burn the info onto a CD for you as well. YOu also might want to try calling them and see if they offer that service.

Candy

~~ In a perpetual state of not knowing if I'm coming or going.

#5 syboutsen

syboutsen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Aug 28 2005, 04:27 PM)
I bought a $40 external 3" floppy drive at WalMart about two years ago. I have used it about two or three times.  Floppies are just about too small for anything anymore. Get yourself a USB flash memory device, you can get them 256MB, 512MB and 1GB now, and larger sizes shortly.

But, for backups, you can make permanent backups to CDs by sending the backup to the hard drive and copying that zip file to a CD with the CD writiong software.

The CD is probably large enough to hold several backups, you could store a weeks worth of backups on your hard drive, with dated names,  then copy them all to one CD for archival purposes.

View Post

#6 syboutsen

syboutsen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Aug 28 2005, 04:27 PM)
I bought a $40 external 3" floppy drive at WalMart about two years ago. I have used it about two or three times.  Floppies are just about too small for anything anymore. Get yourself a USB flash memory device, you can get them 256MB, 512MB and 1GB now, and larger sizes shortly.

The CD is probably large enough to hold several backups, you could store a weeks worth of backups on your hard drive, with dated names,  then copy them all to one CD for archival purposes.

View Post

I use a CD burner so will try that before I buy an external floppy drive. Thanks for the info.

#7 Dennis

Dennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 06:32 PM

I use a CD burner so will try that before I buy an external floppy drive. Thanks for the info.

View Post

[/quote]

Additionally... you can install RM on a CD-RW and run the program from there albeit much slower.

#8 jpejza

jpejza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:35 AM

I bought an external hard drive on which I keep my backup copies.

#9 familytreemashug

familytreemashug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE(jpejza @ Sep 2 2005, 01:35 PM)
I bought an external hard drive on which I keep my backup copies.

View Post

I just backup to my hardrive and then ftp it to my website. You could just email yourself a copy as well.

My website has copies of all my pics and docs as well.

Lawrence