• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Thorsteinson

Kevin Thorsteinson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:00 AM

I have tried in Family Origins and in RootsMagic to create a custom list that will show the current address (or residence) along with surname, given name.

Nothing that I try will bring in the data, yet my address list works fine.....

Any help/suggestions ?

Thanks !!!

#2 aplucinik

aplucinik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:57 PM

I assume you are using Custom Reports to create this custom list.
I suspect that when you design your custom report you are placing the fields in the wrong section of the custom report layout.

The custom report layout is divided in two parts. The section above the line is called Report Header. This is where you place the column heading names or a title for the report. To do this you should click on the Add Text icon (NOT Add Field) then type in the desired name of the column heading such as Surname or Given Name(s), etc.

The section of the report layout screen below the line is called the Report Details section. This is where you must create your data fields, which tells RM what data you want to print or display. If you do not do this then RootsMagic has no idea what data you want to have displayed or printed in the report.

To insert data fields click on the Add Field icon (NOT Add Text) in the toolbar. You then select the appropriate field from the list that pops up. By default, Rootsmagic positions the data field that you chose in the upper report header section intended column headers. Simply drag and drop the data field to the appropriate position in the bottom section (Report Details section). Do the same thing thing for the other data fields you want to display or print.

Remember, the top section is where you are telling RM what the title of each column will be and which will appear at the top of each page. The bottom section is where you tell RM what data you want to have displayed or printed.

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 07:26 PM

Youcan get surname, given name or a combination of both, but there is no field for Address, and if you select residence, only one, probably the first one, will be listed. So, there is not a convenient way of doing the custom report you asked about.

You can go to reports, Lists, Address list, and select people and select how you want the name to appear.
Alfred

#4 aplucinik

aplucinik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (Alfred @ Jun 30 2005, 07:26 PM)
Youcan get surname, given name or a combination of both, but there is no field for Address, and if you select residence, only one, probably the first one, will be listed. So, there is not a convenient way of doing the custom report you asked about.

You can go to reports, Lists, Address list, and select people and select how you want the name to appear.

Alfred,
I created a custom report for Address. It is in the list of available fields and right near the top as "address".

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:05 PM

I can't see it, the top field in my list is adoption.

Have you added a user defined fact for Address?

I cannot find The Address, that you get in the Address list, anywhere in the custom report fields.

Of course, my eyes are only in a little bit better shape than my memory. biggrin.gif
(AND please, let's not talk about shape! ohmy.gif )
Alfred

#6 aplucinik

aplucinik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:11 PM

Well ... what do you know wacko.gif I must have put that custom "address" fact type in there eons ago. It's been there so long I thought it was a built-in fact type.

#7 Kevin Thorsteinson

Kevin Thorsteinson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:30 PM

I know I can get the standard Address List, however it reports in alphabetical order of the PERSON'S SURNAME and I want a list of current residence/address listed alphabetically by RESIDENCE/ADDRESS so I can show people who lives in the same city without even knowing it.

I have tried the custom reports, but they don't have an option for ADDRESS, only RESIDENCE and that always comes back blank for me.

My mother originally set this all up in Family Origins and I am trying to continue on and I have a family reunion coming up that thought this would be a neat report.

Oh well, thought I would ask anyway......

Thanks

Kevin

#8 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 11:53 PM

Since it isn't available in the Custom reports, try this.

Reports, Lists, Address List, either all or selected people,

Send it to a CSV file, where efery field is seperated by a comma.

Open this file With Excel or another spreadsheet and sort it any way you like.
The Microsoft Works spreadsheet doesn't recognize a csv file, but it imports just fine if you change the extension to "TXT"

Sort of a kludge, but it should get the job done.
Alfred

#9 Kevin Thorsteinson

Kevin Thorsteinson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:26 PM

Absolutely works perfect.........I keep forgetting to print to other formats when I get stuck..........thanks a bunch !!!

Kevin