• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Utah_Biker

Utah_Biker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 05:10 PM

What is the best size of pictures to use in RM so they don't look blurry ?

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:06 PM

The pictures you see on the screen are only thumbnails of the pictures you attach to a person.

Try a test print of somethin like a Chart > Photo tree, notice that the pictures on thescreen are quite low quality, byt if you print it, they are much, much better. RootsMagic uses the thumbnail on the screen to reduce the time and memory needed to display them, but for printouts, it goes to the work of reducing the main picture to the size it needs.

After saying all of that, if you are going to upload the pictures to a web site or just view them on the computer screen, there isn't much need to go beyond the number of pixels your screen will display. My desktop is set at 1280 X 1024 and the notebook is 1024 X 768. Anything larger than 1024 pixels wide has to be scrolled or reduced in size to be seen on the notebook.

If you think you will be printing full page copies of the photos from the program, that is another thing entirely. Most printers will print at least 600DPI now and a ten inch wide print would need to be 6000 pixels wide to take full advantage of that resolution. But 6000 wide by 4500 high would be quite a lirge file, even in JPG format, which I think is plenty good enough for computer viewed pictures.

The only photos which I would save at larger than about a thousand pixels in width would be a wide family group photo where scrolling would allow you to see all of the people, but wouldn't make you scroll just to see all of any one person.

My opinion only. dry.gif

Check out this web site, Scanning Basics,
http://www.scantips.com/

Alfred