2 replies to this topic

#1 orb_ter

orb_ter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:58 AM

Hi,

after many years I finaly found my database I have created with Family Origins version 5. I backed up whole Fowin directory. If I try to run fowin.exe it complains about some missing DLL files which ended up in Windows System directory. Is there any way I can make use of the data I wrote that time? Most of the people in that database is dead by now so it's the only database with information about them.

I couldn't find out any information about new MagicRoots if it is able to import data from Fowin v5. Could someone please answer?

Rob

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 12:20 PM

If you have the data in a GEDCOM file, that file can be IMPORTED into nearly any genealogical program. If you have only the Family Origins 5 backup file, with a ZIP extension or the 29 files that make up a Family Origins 5 database, they will have to be converted to a GEDCOM file so you can use them in another program.

If you cannot find the original Family Origins 5 program disk to install so that you can use or convert this data, I will try to convert it to a GEDCOM file for you.

A FOW5 database consisits of 29 files:
database name.FOW - 1 file
databasX.DBF ---- 11 files
databasX.FPT ---- 6 files
databasX.CDX ---- 11 files
---- Where these filenames are the first 7 characters of the database name, an identifying letter and the extension.

If you can't find a backup file, with the ZIP extension, try zipping these 29 files into one compressed file and sending them as an attachment to an email to me at:

adeller@santel.net

I will see what I can do with them.
Alfred

#3 orb_ter

orb_ter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 03:56 PM

I was googling around and found those missing DLLs. I was able to run FOWIN5 and export data to GEDCOM file and then import to RootsMagic. It's works perfect and I'm glad I can continue. I just hope my ordered version arrive soon, since my database already contain around 200 people which is not even half of them :-)

Thanks for your reply and help