• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Germer

Germer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 07:54 PM

Some lists do not return a disply of the list options after reporting results. The options portion of the display is solid gray. You have to cancel or exit out of the list and then sometimes that doesn't work. I am running 2.02 with windows 98.

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 08:45 PM

Try closing some of the other programs. I get a gray or blank dialog window when my computer is overloaded.

Usually when I get one, I have several Explorer windows open, Word and Outlook Express amd maybe a couple of other porgrams.

After I see that gray area, I start shutting things down, and it usually reappears before I have to completely reboot. But, as soon as I can get things to the point where I can reboot, I do, then the gray, blank window stays away for quite a while.
Alfred

#3 Germer

Germer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 10:36 AM

Alfred:

Is this something you would consider to be a bug? Or a hardware problem?

I can go into the menu of lists and click on each one, most come up OK and others (ie: fact, missing info, marriage, place, repository & place) come up gray. A real pain.

#4 Guest_don_*

Guest_don_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2004 - 03:16 PM

I think this has more to do with Windows 98's memory management. If you have too many programs open OR you have been using it for a long period of time with other programs it will simply not have enough memory to execute the program properly. Even if you have lots of memory on your machine. My memory (which also has a memory management problem) on the subject is not clear enough to give you the details, but 2 of the 7 memory factors used in Win98 only hold 64K and do not release all that is stored there when you shut down a program so it accumulates over time and causes the problem.

Most times shutting down any other open programs will allow you to continue, but do as Alfred says and when you reach a point that you can reboot, do so, as those memory areas of Win98 are running out of room and will eventually do the same thing. only rebooting will clear all the memory problems.