Rick Landrum's Content

There have been 80 items by Rick Landrum (Search limited from 14-April 20)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#98341 where to put a life history

Posted by Rick Landrum on 24 October 2020 - 08:36 AM in Discussion

I also use fact types "Biography" and "Family Oral History" for these types of entries. (I also do not recall if these were native to RM or if I created them.) I had not considered also making them sources, but that is a good idea.

Rick

#98247 Use plain text when pasting to notes

Posted by Rick Landrum on 01 October 2020 - 08:50 AM in Discussion

Renee,

This has happened to me several times following a Windows10 update. I notice it right away because text being pasted to RM shows unicode characters. When I recheck the "use plain text" option the text will then paste correctly. I'm not sure what is causing the option to be unchecked. FYI for what it is worth. 

Thanks

Rick

#98269 Use plain text when pasting to notes

Posted by Rick Landrum on 06 October 2020 - 08:18 AM in Discussion

I have discovered another new issue regarding changes to RM7 database options. After my latest Windows 10 update, I found that my RM7 websearch was not working correctly for Family Search. When I looked at my settings the box for using  "external browser" was unchecked. I re-checked it and now the search works fine again. It seems as if Win10 updates are somehow changing some RM7 settings?? For what it is worth.....

Rick

#98245 Use plain text when pasting to notes

Posted by Rick Landrum on 30 September 2020 - 03:10 PM in Discussion

Thanks Vyger,

One other thought, if you restart the database, wonder if that resets the options. Just starting RM and going to the default database doesn't seem to affect these settings.

It's bound to be something I did. At least I know how to fix it.....

Rick

#98240 Use plain text when pasting to notes

Posted by Rick Landrum on 30 September 2020 - 12:59 PM in Discussion

I posted a question some time ago about not being able to paste text into notes fields in RM7. All manner of unicode characters appeared.

Rene posted: 

Go to Tools>Program Options>General and check the box "Use plain text when pasting to notes". 

This worked fine.

However, I continue to have this issue periodically. I've noticed it always shows back up after a Windows 10 update. I go to the program options page in RM and the "plain text" box is unchecked again. It almost seems as if the Microsoft update is somehow changing the text editor settings in Roots Magic 7??

Is anyone else experiencing this, or am I the only crazy one?

:wacko: 

Thanks

Rick

#98522 TreeShare Issue with Ancestry Sources

Posted by Rick Landrum on 19 November 2020 - 09:23 AM in Discussion

Jim,

You have stated much more eloquently than I how to deal with this issue. As I previously stated, I'm back to where I was before "TreeShare". I use other platforms to do my research and then manually post the data to my RM tree. This works with no issues. However, I do have a subscription on Ancestry, and several family members who use, and prefer, Ancestry. Therefore I use the hints in Ancestry to populate my tree there for their sake. If I have data in RM, that is not on Ancestry, I'll just have to manually enter it there. In the long run this is much more efficient than fighting all the problems with the TreeShare interface.

Thank you for your comments.

Rick

#98497 TreeShare Issue with Ancestry Sources

Posted by Rick Landrum on 16 November 2020 - 01:19 PM in Discussion

Thanks Jerry,

WOW!! That's helpful, or at least good to know.

However, TreeShare in my opinion does not live up to it's hype and promise. If anything it has just caused me a huge mess to have to clean up. So, I guess I'm right where I thought I was, having to choose which platform will be my standard. Essentially, I have already done that, it's RM, because I just like it better. I will continue to use Ancestry as a research source and concentrate on getting the data I find to go one way over to RM. I'll use the hints in Ancestry to populate my tree there. Since I'm already having to copy source details and paste them into my RM sources, I'll just continue on that path.

Waiting to see what if anything that RM8 brings to the table.

Rick

PS - this takes me back to what I was doing before the introduction of Tree Share, so I guess that's not so bad.

#98492 TreeShare Issue with Ancestry Sources

Posted by Rick Landrum on 16 November 2020 - 09:37 AM in Discussion

I have a question regarding TreeShare and RootsMagic8.

I have always had a problem with TreeShare posting sources to RM, but failing to post the research details. This required me to manually copy that information from Ancestry and paste it into the RM source details.

Some time ago, I started running into issues with TreeShare not transferring sources from RM to Ancestry. Instead, Ancestry would place the source notes as "unsourced citations". There are numerous posts in this forum about this problem. I had come to believe that the cause  for this was that the Ancestry source had been posted to RM by TreeShare, and that I had later copied the source to another RM tree member event. Ancestry then lost the reference to the source and did not recognize it when TreeShare tried to post it back to Ancestry. While this does appear to be true, I have also discovered a different but related issue. I had some problems with my RootsMagic 7 data base and I ended up having to reload it to Ancestry. Two problems resulted. One, Ancestry reset all of the "hints". This I knew would occur. Second, Ancestry did not recognize any of the sources coming from RM7 and TreeShare, even though they originally came from Ancestry. I recently launched a review of my entire RM tree, comparing it to my Ancestry tree, and I found these two issues existed across the entire Ancestry tree.

I have tried to use TreeShare to correct the problems to no avail. As a result, if I want to keep my RM and Ancestry trees synchronized, I will have to repost all the missing sources  in Ancestry by re-processing all the hints. Or, I can choose to only maintain my RM tree,  and leave my Ancestry tree as is. So basically, this situation is forcing me to choose between the two platforms to be my standard.

My question is, will RM8 correct any of this?

Any insights appreciated.

Rick

#98555 TreeShare Failing during API update to Ancestry

Posted by Rick Landrum on 25 November 2020 - 11:40 AM in Issues

Oops,

Sorry Renee,

I sent last message before I saw your previous response. Will try the reset.

Thanks

Rick

Reset seems to have done the trick. Ancestry is having a variety of server issues today so this may not be a good test. I'll try some more later.

Thanks again

#98546 TreeShare Failing during API update to Ancestry

Posted by Rick Landrum on 24 November 2020 - 10:43 AM in Issues

Renee,

Probably is. This morning I'm seeing very long delays in the updates, but the data seems to be updating OK. However, I'm still seeing occasional total freezes and data will not transfer.

Thanks

Rick

#98543 TreeShare Failing during API update to Ancestry

Posted by Rick Landrum on 23 November 2020 - 11:26 AM in Issues

New issue this morning - 100% of TreeSare updates from RM7 started failing. I get a message on screen to send report to RM with details about what I was doing when error occured. Have done this multiple times but process continues to fail.

Rick

#98553 TreeShare Failing during API update to Ancestry

Posted by Rick Landrum on 25 November 2020 - 11:37 AM in Issues

Renee,

Problem continues. All TreeShare updates are taking a very long time to process and are resulting in error messages (see below) but data does seem to be loading OK. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Rick

Ancestry TreeShare Error Report
Send Error Report to RootsMagic
An error occured during communication with the Ancestry API. Although it is optional, you can send the error log to RootsMagic so that we can track down what happened in order to fix the problem. Any information sent will only be used to fix the problem and then deleted.
Please provide details about what you were doing (steps) before this error...

#98865 Transferring source/citation details from ANC to RM7

Posted by Rick Landrum on 08 January 2021 - 03:59 PM in Discussion

That was not what i wanted to hear, but it was what I expected. Manually copying and pasting these details works ok but is very time consuming. I was hoping RM8 would have an improved process.

Thanks anyway

Rick

#98860 Transferring source/citation details from ANC to RM7

Posted by Rick Landrum on 08 January 2021 - 10:54 AM in Discussion

Renee,

So I assume (given the future switch to RM8) that nothing will be done about this in RM7; and that I will just have to continue to manually copy/paste the data?

Any word on how this will work in RM8?

Rick

#98851 Transferring source/citation details from ANC to RM7

Posted by Rick Landrum on 07 January 2021 - 02:04 PM in Discussion

I have a two part question.

Shortly after TreeShare was introduced, I asked the forum if anyone knew how to copy the source/citation details from Ancestry to Roots Magic when an Ancestry  hint was accepted and transferred to RM. The answer I received was that I would have to copy and paste those details into RM manually. Tree Share will not move that data across. I have been using that process every since. It is slow and tedious to accomplish. I copy the research notes, summary, transcription, extraction, or text from the source, and then paste it into the RM7 source detail text. ( I realize that not everyone may want these details transferred, but I use the information routinely to search for more information about other family members.)

My first question is, has anything changed?
I'm hoping I am just missing a step in the process that would automate the transfer of this data.

My second question is, will RM8 have any improvements  in this regard?
Since it appears that I will be using RM7 for some time to come, at least until RM8 is available, I sure would like to have a faster/easier process for capturing and transferring this data.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks
Rick

#97069 Showing multiple marriage events in a Family Group Sheet

Posted by Rick Landrum on 21 April 2020 - 08:58 AM in Discussion

At the risk of seeming to crash in on this  thread.....

I have a question regarding multiple marriages and family group sheets as it applies to the Publisher function. I too have numerous multiple marriages in my tree (example - same husband, different wives). I have found that I have to use more than one family group sheet in publisher. One for each marriage. Technically this works, but it results in duplication of the husbands information, and adds to the page length of the report. Is this correct, or am I doing something wrong?

It does appear that a better choice may be to use the Individual Summary for the husband. Information about all spouses and children is included in that report. 

Rick

#97077 Showing multiple marriage events in a Family Group Sheet

Posted by Rick Landrum on 22 April 2020 - 07:54 AM in Discussion

Rick, you will need separate family group sheets, one for each family he made with different spouses. 

Thanks Renee,

That's what my testing showed. For my purposes, when using Publisher, I have started using an Individual Summary instead of a Family Group sheet. It provides enough detail for most of my family member readers.  Example, male ancestor was married three times. By selecting IS it shows all three marriages, all children, and details for the ancestor. If I had used FGS the husbands data would have been repeated three times.

Rick

#98197 RM7 websearch tool for Family Search failing

Posted by Rick Landrum on 21 September 2020 - 03:44 PM in Discussion

I forgot to mention that I remember this happened once before following a Windows update. Not sure if that turned off the check, but I am pretty sure I did not.....for what it is worth

Rick

#98180 RM7 websearch tool for Family Search failing

Posted by Rick Landrum on 20 September 2020 - 03:43 PM in Discussion

I have a question regarding a problem that has just shown up in the past few days.

I was using the RM7 websearch tool to search Family Search. This tool has worked fine for me previously. 

When I select Family Search, the following popup message appears. 

"Attention: This site does not support the current version of your web browser. To get the best possible experience using our website we recommend that you upgrade to a newer version or install another browser."

I've checked my Google browser and it's version is up to date. I have also checked the browser options that Family Search offers, and mine is listed. I have gone to the Family Search website and tried using my browser independent of RM7. It worked perfectly.

All this makes me wonder if there is a problem with the RM7 tool?

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Does anyone have a suggestion regarding how to fix this?

Thanks
Rick

#98188 RM7 websearch tool for Family Search failing

Posted by Rick Landrum on 21 September 2020 - 08:08 AM in Discussion

Bingo!  I was aware of the use external browser issue, and I have always had it checked. However, I guess I forgot that. I re-checked it and it solved the problem. 

Thanks very much

Rick

#96856 RM7 Publisher to RM8

Posted by Rick Landrum on 26 March 2020 - 08:01 AM in Discussion

So far the Publish tab has only been shown in the RM8 videos and not anything specific. Starting at the 5:25 min mark the RootsMagician mentions that the Publisher is now called Books. 

I'll take that as "it will be included but will have a new name". I'm assuming that the conversion of an RM7 database to RM8 would also bring over existing "Books".

Thanks

Rick

#96851 RM7 Publisher to RM8

Posted by Rick Landrum on 25 March 2020 - 11:13 AM in Discussion

Renee Zamora,
Quick question
I recently started using RM7 Publisher extensively.
Will this function be included in RM8?
Will the work I've already done in Publisher transfer to RM8?
Thanks
Rick

#96863 RM7 Publisher to RM8

Posted by Rick Landrum on 27 March 2020 - 08:04 AM in Discussion

The RM7 conversion and the bringing over of existing books into RM8 I cannot confirm yet. 

Thanks Renee,

We know so little about how RM7 and RM8 will interface, I'm thinking I may not invest anymore time into creating new books until we do.

Rick

#96958 RM7 Publisher PDF's

Posted by Rick Landrum on 08 April 2020 - 12:33 PM in Discussion

Thanks everybody for the insights.

I have really two issues related to this problem. First, early on before I started using Publisher, I was using PDF's for some image files thinking it was easier to download files from various sources as PDF's. This was partly because the PDF's were single files that could be several pages in length. Saving the images as individual image files made the task of loading them to my tree take much longer. The PDF's worked fine with the RM7 database, and a viewer could enlarge the image to see or read it better.

Knowing what I do now, it seems fairly obvious that I should not use PDF files for images going forward. Secondly, the question of what to do about all the PDF image files that I have already loaded to my tree is the challenge. First I tried converting the PDF to other file types, such as JPEG, and then replace the file in my tree with the new file. Of course this works but, it would take a huge amount of time to convert all the files needing to be changed. Secondly, using Rene's hint, I tried inserting a blank page in the Publisher Book, and then saving the book as a PDF file. I then open the book using Adobe PDF Pro and use document/insert to place the PDF image file pages into the book after the blank page. Lastly, I use PDF Pro to delete the blank page, and then resave the book. Depending on how many image PDF's are needed to be added to the Publisher book, the process can be repeated multiple times before saving and closing the book file.

This process works very well, and is reasonably fast, without having to convert files or make changes in my RM7 tree.

Thanks again,
Rick

#96961 RM7 Publisher PDF's

Posted by Rick Landrum on 08 April 2020 - 02:21 PM in Discussion

The whole question of multi-page documents is an interesting challenge. One of the virtues of the PDF format is that can act as sort of a container literally to "contain" multiple pages. This can be a delightful convenience because it is generally speaking easy to manipulate the multiple pages in the single PDF file because the single PDF file is - well it is single file from the point of view of your computer's file system. Having multiple pages in a single PDF file can be delightful until and unless the PDF file contains hundreds of pages each containing lots of images, at which point the single PDF file becomes so large as to be totally unwieldy and you might begin to wish that the images were not in a single large container.

It's not quite the same concept, but TIF files also have this ability to be a container to "contain" multiple images. We usually speak of multi-image TIF files instead of speaking as if a TIF file were a single container for multiple images. But it's the same concept with a different name.

For a long time, I was so enamored of this concept that I used multi-image TIF files a great deal with RM. A typical example would be for modern court house marriage records, where one "marriage record" might consist of three images - the marriage application, the marriage license, and the marriage return. So I would put all three images into a single TIF file, effectively containerizing the three images which collectively constituted one marriage record. I would link the TIF file into RM and be done. Happy, happy, happy.

Except that I eventually realized that there were two major problems with my plan. One problem is that Web browsers would not support TIF files and I wanted to start placing some of my data in the Web, including images. The other problem is that I came to realize that most software that supports a lot of different image formats including TIF will only show you the first of the multiple images. Such software will not even give you a warning that there are other images in the file that you are not seeing. So I decided to abandon the TIF format. Doing so has been a huge amount of work. You can't just replace one TIF file with one JPG file or with one PNG file. Doing that wouldn't be so bad. Instead you have to replace one TIF file with three JPG files or three JPG files and get them all linked into RM properly. Doing so is very labor intensive, and I rue the day I decided that TIF files were a great idea.

But the moral of the story is that I do understand the attraction of PDF files as containers for multiple images. As long as the number of images in the PDF container is relatively modest, it's a great tool. Except when it isn't, as when RM doesn't support it for Publisher. For Publisher, I think Renee's suggestion for inserting a blank page in the Publisher book and then adding the PDF images after the fact is probably a good idea. For the Web, I still don't think PDF is a good idea. I used to say (correctly, I think) that most Web browsers didn't support PDF files. I think most or maybe all Web browsers do now support PDF files in some manner.  But the way browsers support PDF files still doesn't quite meet my needs. For example, with JPG and PNG files, I can publish my data online with Gedsite and the image files work really well. There is a medium size thumbnail that the user of my page can click on to see a full size of the image. But with PDF files, there is no media size thumbnail nor any size thumbnail for PDF files. All that appears on my Web page is a link without much clue as to what the link is. So I'm still trying to stay away from PDF's as much as possible.

Jerry

Jerry,

The "container concept" is exactly what I was after by loading PDF's instead of individual image files. However, as I said, I did not anticipate the issues with Publisher and scrap books that I'm now in the middle of. I have yet to try and publish on a website, so I am pretty uninformed regarding the issues and pitfalls that might be waiting on me there. Anyway, adding PDF's to my "publisher" books using Rene's suggestion seems to be the best solution for me now. My method of distributing books to family members will be as a PDF saved on a USB drive.

Thanks for the input

Rick