Rick Landrum's Content

There have been 80 items by Rick Landrum (Search limited from 14-April 20)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#96621 Relationship Chart for one brank of family line

Posted by Rick Landrum on 23 February 2020 - 05:01 PM in Discussion

Quick question.....

I am trying to produce a chart in RM7 that would include the following:

1) Starting ancestors (say grandfather and grandmother)

2) Include only one of their children, their spouse, and children (other siblings to be on different charts)

I am creating a Publisher chapter for each of the children of the grandparents, and I want a chart to show the relationship from the grandchildren, back through the parents, back to the grandparents, without listing the person's other siblings.and their children.

I have tried to use the Relationship Chart for this purpose and include it in a Publisher Book (chapter) for one of the siblings, but the settings do not handle the grandchildren. I would have to create a separate chart for each grandchild going up to the grandparents. I have been unable to find a report type that would do this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

#96622 Relationship Chart for one brank of family line

Posted by Rick Landrum on 23 February 2020 - 05:06 PM in Discussion

Sorry, meant to say "Relationship chart for one branch of family line"

#96628 Relationship Chart for one brank of family line

Posted by Rick Landrum on 24 February 2020 - 09:15 AM in Discussion

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I'll give them a try, but I'm very "gun shy" when it comes to "convoluted messes" and RM7. (been there done that). My goal was to insert a chart in my Publisher book chapter that shows both the parents of my principle chapter subject, and also shows the children of the subject. I have come up with an acceptable solution, but it adds extra pages to the chapter. I start with a Relationship chart, limited to the principle subject and his/her parents. I then add a descendent Box Chart, starting with the principle subject, his/her spouse, and going down 2 or 3 generations.  This method works, but it is not as clean as I would like.

Thanks again,

Rick

#96679 Publisher Book Organization

Posted by Rick Landrum on 02 March 2020 - 04:21 PM in Discussion

Looking for book organization suggestions.

I am working on my first family history project using RM Publisher. I am past the first hurdle, which was learning how to use the Publisher function. My second hurdle has been determining the best way to organize a book. My objective is to develop a template that works for publishing a family history, for one of my family lines, that can be saved to a PDF and distributed to other family members. (Many of these family members want a printed version of the history, and are not into using the data base).

I recognize that Publisher does not allow  concatenation of multiple books togather, unless you "stack" them within the same book creation, so I would then  create a second book for another family line, etc., etc.

I have developed a template, as I created my first book: 

I) Cover Page with Patriarch photo
II) Preface
[Note: The focus of  this publication is the "subject family" surname. The spouses of direct "subject family surname" ancestors will have Ahnentafel lists of ancestors of that spouse included in this book. Additional information regarding the spouses of non-direct family members, with different birth surnames, may be found in the family histories for those family surnames.]
III) Table of Contents
IV) Patriarch Direct Ancestor
Patriarch Direct Ancestor Ahnentafel List (10 generations)
Individual Summary
Scrapbook
Box Chart - Spouse & Decendants of Family Patriarch (3 generations)
V) Direct Spouse Ahnentafel List (10 generations)
Individual Summary
Scrapbook - Direct Spouse
VI...Vn) Individual Summary - Child #1
Scrapbook - Child #1
(Repeat for Child #2 ...Child #n)
VII) Index of Names
VIII) Index of Places

Short of asking for a "Publisher Organization for Dummies", any hints as to how to improve upon this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

#96685 Publisher Book Organization

Posted by Rick Landrum on 03 March 2020 - 08:43 AM in Discussion

I have never produced anything in Publisher that I have taken to a family reunion or anything like that. I probably will some day.  But I have played with it quite a bit. It's a really nice feature. I think it's much underutilized by RM users, perhaps because the learning curve can seem a little steep.

My two biggest concerns with Publisher are that it produces endnotes per chapter rather than endnotes for the entire book, and that it only includes chapters that can be produced as reports from within RM. I wish it could include a chapter that I produce in Word. The 75 page book that I take to a family reunion every year is actually two different files. One of them is a DOCX file produced entirely in Word without any input from RM at all. It contains formatting and the mixing of text and images that simply cannot be accomplished by RM. The other one is an RTF file produced by RM and cleaned up with Notepad++ and Word. It is basically a descendant narrative report using the register format. I make it work, but I have written extensively of certain issues that could be improved - better control of white space and the spouse sentence, carrying certain people forward to the next generation even though they do not have a spouse or children, the XE bug, and the ability to include spouses of spouses and half siblings. I will be curious to see if any of these issues are addressed in RM8.

Another issue is the index. My manual DOCX file is not indexed at all. I need to learn how to do some automatic indexing for it. Manual indexing would be too time consuming. Indexing my DOCX file is on me, not on RM. And even in the RTF file produced by RM, I would like better indexing. RM does produce a very good Name Index and Place Index even though the XE entries have a bug that I have to clean up. But there is no good way to index information that appears in Notes or Description fields. Despite these limitations, I think that the reports from RM that I take to family reunions look very professional and are easy to read and use. I use the phrase "meets my needs" a lot, and RM does meet my needs for this kind of reporting.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks for the comments. I am experimenting with various organizations and content to see what works best. For example, I used a medium sized family line, that I had "finished" researching, and followed the earlier listed template. It resulted in a PDF document about 150 pages in length for one family line. At this rate my entire family, with all lines, would create books totaling an enormous size. I thought that creating a separate book for each direct ancestor surname would work, but that has the concatenation issues you mentioned concerning indexing and endnotes. I will probably just try to cut down on content for the "readers" in my family, and offer a database to others who can use either a subscription, or the free, version of RM to review the data.

Rick

#96686 Publisher Book Organization

Posted by Rick Landrum on 03 March 2020 - 08:47 AM in Discussion

I have never used RM's publisher.   Long story back to RM3.  I do create a Narrative Report and save it to a Word Document.  Have done this with several books I have published  [ Church History] and family ones, not public.  Your organization looks good, did not know you could go that far in RM.  I have used "Producing a Quality Family History" by Patricia Law Hatcher, CG 's book for my organization and other copyright information that I need to do. Some of the issues that I had with Word and Publisher RM's was page numbering across chapters. I hope they/RM has fixed that. 

I know from past discussions on this forum, Jerry also does his this way in Word. 

After listening to Judy Russell on the Rootstech live streaming last Wed.  I need relook at the right way to do copyright information.  Judy is a retired lawyer and knew what she was talking about. 

Nettie

Nettie,

I have never had any thoughts of publishing commercially where a copyright would be needed. I only copy family members with an interest in the family history.  I suppose that could be a future possibility however. Thanks for the thoughts.

Rick

#96690 Publisher Book Organization

Posted by Rick Landrum on 03 March 2020 - 01:10 PM in Discussion

To generate a master index across a collection of reports that have been consolidated in MS Word can be facilitated by the use of a Concordance Table. The creation of the latter for reports from a RootsMagic database can be facilitated by a SQLite query. I wrote about this in 2014, now located at Reports Concordances for Indexes https://sqlitetoolsf...es-for-indexes/

Thanks Tom. I'll take a look.

Rick

#96779 How to copy index links from publisher to PDF

Posted by Rick Landrum on 15 March 2020 - 10:30 AM in Discussion

This question goes a bit beyond my expertise.... would appreciate any hints as to how to save the index and table of contents links from an RM7 Publisher book to a PDF file when saving the book? 

Thanks

Rick

#96786 How to copy index links from publisher to PDF

Posted by Rick Landrum on 16 March 2020 - 07:41 AM in Discussion

With some additional research, I have found a method that works using the "PDF  embedded index". It's not as robust as the links in "Publisher" but it does work. I would appreciate any other hints for solving this. My goal is to be able to publish a book, save it to a PDF, and then send it to family members. Having a functional indexing process to help them jump from say the table of contents to the correct place in the file saves lots of reader's time. Some of the books can be quite long, 100 pages plus.

Thanks again

Rick

#96789 How to copy index links from publisher to PDF

Posted by Rick Landrum on 16 March 2020 - 03:16 PM in Discussion

Report index hyperlinks and ToC links are preserved when Publisher saves to PDF as are endnote links. Am I misunderstanding the problem?

Tom,

I am probably the one misunderstanding. I had saved several Publisher books to PDF, and then found that I could not use the links, or that they were not working. However, when I re-saved the books to PDF, the links began to work. I not sure what was wrong, but it does seem to be working now. For example,  if I open a book PDF, and click on a table of contents item, the PDF viewer now goes to that item in the book.

Thanks

Rick

#96813 How to copy index links from publisher to PDF

Posted by Rick Landrum on 20 March 2020 - 12:34 PM in Discussion

Report index hyperlinks and ToC links are preserved when Publisher saves to PDF as are endnote links. Am I misunderstanding the problem?

Tom,

I eventually got back around to looking into this issue and I discovered what caused it. Apparently, during a recent Windows update, they changed my default reader from Adobe to Edge. As soon as I switched back to the Adobe reader, the problem went away. The links created in RM Publisher work fine in my PDF files now.

Thanks

Rick

#96818 How to copy index links from publisher to PDF

Posted by Rick Landrum on 20 March 2020 - 04:21 PM in Discussion

Is it that the Edge reader does not recognise the links or that the links are not generated unless the Adobe Reader is the default?

Not sure, but I suspect that Edge is not compatible with RM Publisher as far as links go. I am running an older version of Adobe Pro that let's you update embedded indexes. Once I did that then the links worked ok. However, once I made Adobe reader my default again new PDF's created by Publisher worked just fine. 

Rick

#96851 RM7 Publisher to RM8

Posted by Rick Landrum on 25 March 2020 - 11:13 AM in Discussion

Renee Zamora,
Quick question
I recently started using RM7 Publisher extensively.
Will this function be included in RM8?
Will the work I've already done in Publisher transfer to RM8?
Thanks
Rick

#96856 RM7 Publisher to RM8

Posted by Rick Landrum on 26 March 2020 - 08:01 AM in Discussion

So far the Publish tab has only been shown in the RM8 videos and not anything specific. Starting at the 5:25 min mark the RootsMagician mentions that the Publisher is now called Books. 

I'll take that as "it will be included but will have a new name". I'm assuming that the conversion of an RM7 database to RM8 would also bring over existing "Books".

Thanks

Rick

#96863 RM7 Publisher to RM8

Posted by Rick Landrum on 27 March 2020 - 08:04 AM in Discussion

The RM7 conversion and the bringing over of existing books into RM8 I cannot confirm yet. 

Thanks Renee,

We know so little about how RM7 and RM8 will interface, I'm thinking I may not invest anymore time into creating new books until we do.

Rick

#96950 RM7 Publisher PDF's

Posted by Rick Landrum on 07 April 2020 - 10:46 AM in Discussion

As far as I can tell, you can not include a PDF in a publisher book. You also can not include them in scrap books. I have many attachments in my tree as PDF files. Is there a way to bring these into a Publisher book? Add them to a scrap book?

I know you can convert the PDF to a JPEG, and then replace the file in RM7 with the JPEG, but I'm hoping there is a less tedious solution.

Thanks

Rick

#96958 RM7 Publisher PDF's

Posted by Rick Landrum on 08 April 2020 - 12:33 PM in Discussion

Thanks everybody for the insights.

I have really two issues related to this problem. First, early on before I started using Publisher, I was using PDF's for some image files thinking it was easier to download files from various sources as PDF's. This was partly because the PDF's were single files that could be several pages in length. Saving the images as individual image files made the task of loading them to my tree take much longer. The PDF's worked fine with the RM7 database, and a viewer could enlarge the image to see or read it better.

Knowing what I do now, it seems fairly obvious that I should not use PDF files for images going forward. Secondly, the question of what to do about all the PDF image files that I have already loaded to my tree is the challenge. First I tried converting the PDF to other file types, such as JPEG, and then replace the file in my tree with the new file. Of course this works but, it would take a huge amount of time to convert all the files needing to be changed. Secondly, using Rene's hint, I tried inserting a blank page in the Publisher Book, and then saving the book as a PDF file. I then open the book using Adobe PDF Pro and use document/insert to place the PDF image file pages into the book after the blank page. Lastly, I use PDF Pro to delete the blank page, and then resave the book. Depending on how many image PDF's are needed to be added to the Publisher book, the process can be repeated multiple times before saving and closing the book file.

This process works very well, and is reasonably fast, without having to convert files or make changes in my RM7 tree.

Thanks again,
Rick

#96961 RM7 Publisher PDF's

Posted by Rick Landrum on 08 April 2020 - 02:21 PM in Discussion

The whole question of multi-page documents is an interesting challenge. One of the virtues of the PDF format is that can act as sort of a container literally to "contain" multiple pages. This can be a delightful convenience because it is generally speaking easy to manipulate the multiple pages in the single PDF file because the single PDF file is - well it is single file from the point of view of your computer's file system. Having multiple pages in a single PDF file can be delightful until and unless the PDF file contains hundreds of pages each containing lots of images, at which point the single PDF file becomes so large as to be totally unwieldy and you might begin to wish that the images were not in a single large container.

It's not quite the same concept, but TIF files also have this ability to be a container to "contain" multiple images. We usually speak of multi-image TIF files instead of speaking as if a TIF file were a single container for multiple images. But it's the same concept with a different name.

For a long time, I was so enamored of this concept that I used multi-image TIF files a great deal with RM. A typical example would be for modern court house marriage records, where one "marriage record" might consist of three images - the marriage application, the marriage license, and the marriage return. So I would put all three images into a single TIF file, effectively containerizing the three images which collectively constituted one marriage record. I would link the TIF file into RM and be done. Happy, happy, happy.

Except that I eventually realized that there were two major problems with my plan. One problem is that Web browsers would not support TIF files and I wanted to start placing some of my data in the Web, including images. The other problem is that I came to realize that most software that supports a lot of different image formats including TIF will only show you the first of the multiple images. Such software will not even give you a warning that there are other images in the file that you are not seeing. So I decided to abandon the TIF format. Doing so has been a huge amount of work. You can't just replace one TIF file with one JPG file or with one PNG file. Doing that wouldn't be so bad. Instead you have to replace one TIF file with three JPG files or three JPG files and get them all linked into RM properly. Doing so is very labor intensive, and I rue the day I decided that TIF files were a great idea.

But the moral of the story is that I do understand the attraction of PDF files as containers for multiple images. As long as the number of images in the PDF container is relatively modest, it's a great tool. Except when it isn't, as when RM doesn't support it for Publisher. For Publisher, I think Renee's suggestion for inserting a blank page in the Publisher book and then adding the PDF images after the fact is probably a good idea. For the Web, I still don't think PDF is a good idea. I used to say (correctly, I think) that most Web browsers didn't support PDF files. I think most or maybe all Web browsers do now support PDF files in some manner.  But the way browsers support PDF files still doesn't quite meet my needs. For example, with JPG and PNG files, I can publish my data online with Gedsite and the image files work really well. There is a medium size thumbnail that the user of my page can click on to see a full size of the image. But with PDF files, there is no media size thumbnail nor any size thumbnail for PDF files. All that appears on my Web page is a link without much clue as to what the link is. So I'm still trying to stay away from PDF's as much as possible.

Jerry

Jerry,

The "container concept" is exactly what I was after by loading PDF's instead of individual image files. However, as I said, I did not anticipate the issues with Publisher and scrap books that I'm now in the middle of. I have yet to try and publish on a website, so I am pretty uninformed regarding the issues and pitfalls that might be waiting on me there. Anyway, adding PDF's to my "publisher" books using Rene's suggestion seems to be the best solution for me now. My method of distributing books to family members will be as a PDF saved on a USB drive.

Thanks for the input

Rick

#96969 RM7 Publisher PDF's

Posted by Rick Landrum on 10 April 2020 - 06:46 AM in Discussion

You can add blank pages to the Publisher, and after generating the book edit it to insert the PDF pages.

Thanks Renee,

I have tested your suggestion, as well as Zhangrau's comments, and  I have found it does work for what I was trying to accomplish. One drawback that I did find is that any edits to the Text page in the completed book will disappear if you need to update and re-save the book. The changes would have to be recreated each time the book is updated. However, given that no tools currently exist in RM7 Publisher to handle PDF files, handling PDF images with after the fact changes to the book seems to be much better than converting the PDF to say a Jpeg in the RM7 data base. Depending on the size of the PDF (number of pages etc.) that approach can really take a lot of time.

Thanks again for your help.

Rick

#97001 Reorganize Multimedia Files?

Posted by Rick Landrum on 14 April 2020 - 09:17 AM in Discussion

This is a very timely topic for me. I have been working to accomplish the same thing. I developed a naming convention set, with the help of some posts in this forum, and started naming new media in accordance with it. However, I still have many old files that have not been converted yet. I basically use "Surname-Given Name-Title (such as CEN or GM)-Source (such as FS, ANC, Etc)". I then use the windows directory search tools to find a file as needed. I do not save my files in sub-directories.

I do have one question. Is it necessary, or advisable, to include the Ancestory media ID (if that was the source)? I've never found a practical use for that information in RM, and I don't think you can search for the ID in Ancestry??

Rick

#97004 Reorganize Multimedia Files?

Posted by Rick Landrum on 14 April 2020 - 12:46 PM in Discussion

I included it in my procedure for renaming citation media from Ancestry for two reasons:

1. Debugging
  2. Identifying subsequent duplicates via a match of the name of a new download to that substring of a renamed file.

The most basic link to an Ancestry media item looks like this:

https://www.ancestry.ca/interactive/8946/ONMS935_93-0459 

Maybe there is a shorter more direct path but I haven't found it. The downloaded file is named by default:

ONMS935_93-0459.jpg 

So you can reconstruct part of the link to the file on the Ancestry server from the filename but we're missing the intermediate level "/8496/". I don't know where you'd get that from.

Thanks Tom,

Actually Idon't think I care about the source ID, but I had been including it in my naming of the file in case there was a reason/need to get back to it. I never have.

Rick

#97014 Renaming Ancestry Database

Posted by Rick Landrum on 17 April 2020 - 10:25 AM in Discussion

Need a little help

While In the process of reorganizing and cleaning up my RootsMagic databases, I renamed my primary active database. I then tried to find how to rename my Ancestry database to match. I can not find instructions to do this. RM says I am still connected to the same old database in Ancestry. Can you rename an Ancestry database? I guess I could reload my RM database to Ancestry, but wont that reset all my hints?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Rick

#97016 Renaming Ancestry Database

Posted by Rick Landrum on 17 April 2020 - 12:51 PM in Discussion

Thanks,

Figured out the issue. I had accidentally saved the wrong RM db to ancestry under the wrong name. Changing the name will not fix it, so I am just reloading the correct db with the correct name. My bad.

Rick

#97069 Showing multiple marriage events in a Family Group Sheet

Posted by Rick Landrum on 21 April 2020 - 08:58 AM in Discussion

At the risk of seeming to crash in on this  thread.....

I have a question regarding multiple marriages and family group sheets as it applies to the Publisher function. I too have numerous multiple marriages in my tree (example - same husband, different wives). I have found that I have to use more than one family group sheet in publisher. One for each marriage. Technically this works, but it results in duplication of the husbands information, and adds to the page length of the report. Is this correct, or am I doing something wrong?

It does appear that a better choice may be to use the Individual Summary for the husband. Information about all spouses and children is included in that report. 

Rick

#97077 Showing multiple marriage events in a Family Group Sheet

Posted by Rick Landrum on 22 April 2020 - 07:54 AM in Discussion

Rick, you will need separate family group sheets, one for each family he made with different spouses. 

Thanks Renee,

That's what my testing showed. For my purposes, when using Publisher, I have started using an Individual Summary instead of a Family Group sheet. It provides enough detail for most of my family member readers.  Example, male ancestor was married three times. By selecting IS it shows all three marriages, all children, and details for the ancestor. If I had used FGS the husbands data would have been repeated three times.

Rick