Rick Landrum's Content

There have been 80 items by Rick Landrum (Search limited from 14-April 20)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#99012 Change Accepted Hint to Rejected Hint

Posted by Rick Landrum on 19 February 2021 - 01:28 PM in Discussion

Thanks Jim,

I knew it was realitively easy to handle on the RM7 side. I have been just changing the hint to rejected and deleting the fact/data. However, on the Ancestry side the hint stays in the accepted list. I haven't found a way to move it to ignore or undecided. You can delete the info/data in the Ancestry tree and just ignore the hint, but that seems kind of sloppy.

Rick

#99010 Change Accepted Hint to Rejected Hint

Posted by Rick Landrum on 19 February 2021 - 11:33 AM in Discussion

After accepting an Ancestry hint, I discovered new information showing the hint should be rejected. How can I change the hint from accepted to a different status in Ancestry? In RM7?

Any help appreciated

Rick

#98987 2 RM databases, or merge somehow?

Posted by Rick Landrum on 12 February 2021 - 03:42 PM in Discussion

Family History Research Status - Roots Magic

I wanted to somehow "visually" identify an individual's research status as I viewed the family tree in RM's various screens. I have used the following technique for several years, and it has worked out very well. The same process can also be used for other purposes, such as identifying different families in the same database. All that is necessary is to create groups for the particular need, and assign different colors as desired.

In my process, for example, as research progresses, persons will be added to one or more of the following "groups" in RM depending on the current status of research. Direct descendant means those who are biologically descended from a person, while an indirect descendant means someone who is of a blood relation, but not a biological descendant. The latter includes those who have to go through a cousin or a marriage in order to find the desired ancestor. You can also use the RM color set tool to assign colors to a whole group all at once instead of having to do it person by person. I usually wait and do this periodically.

Persons can be color coded as follows to make visual identification of status easier when 
reviewing lists in RM:

Example:
1) Research completed and Posted in RM & ANC- Direct Ancestor  [LIME GREEN]
2) Data Cleaning required - Direct Ancestor [YELLOW]
3) Research completed and Posted in RM & ANC- Indirect Ancestor  [MAROON]
4) Data Cleaning required - Indirect Ancestor [FUCHSIA]
5) Waiting research (black, or left as default)

Note: A given person can be assigned to more than one group simultaniously to designate other purposes, but should only be assigned to one research status group.

For what it is worth
Enjoy
Rick

#98980 2 RM databases, or merge somehow?

Posted by Rick Landrum on 11 February 2021 - 05:07 PM in Discussion

But remember that it only takes one errant mouse click to clear all colors.

Very True

I guess that is what backups are for...............

You can also put a note against the person regarding which family etc, but the group membership can also help to recover if colors are somehow changed/deleted

#98978 2 RM databases, or merge somehow?

Posted by Rick Landrum on 11 February 2021 - 11:39 AM in Discussion

MichelleR18,

I was doing the same in RM7, keeping my family and my wife's family in separate databases. Eventurally I gave that up and meged the two into one. I now use groups and colors to distinguish between the two families. Pretty easy to do but there is a certain amount of maintenace involved keeping up the groups and colors.

I also use groups and colors to identify tree members in my various research stages (to be done, in work, complete etc.)

Hope this helps

Rick

#98976 Release Date for RM8

Posted by Rick Landrum on 10 February 2021 - 04:27 PM in Discussion

If this feature works like FTM on the mac it lets you add several media items (ie census, marriage, etc pdfs) at once to a person. Then you can just drag each media item to the fact it supports and source it. A common drag..drop feature on macs which is very efficient. 

It's been a while since I've done it and I don't remember the details. But the basic idea is that you have two windows open side by side. One window is Windows File Explorer, opened to the folder containing the files you wish to link into RM. The other window is RM open to the RM Media Gallery. You may have to resize the windows to make them both fit on the screen at the same time. Then just drag and drop the files from Windows File Explorer to the RM Media Gallery.

Some RM users love this facility. I confess I have never quite seen the benefit. The reason is that getting the files linked into RM's Media Gallery doesn't seem to me to accomplish very much. You still have to tag the files to specific objects in RM such as People, Names, Sources, Citations, Events, and Places. And it's the latter task that's more time consuming. So I usually just use RM's Add process to the files directly to People, Names, Sources, Citations, Events, and Places. The Add process serves the dual process linking the files into the RM Media Gallery and tagging the files to the appropriate People, Names, etc. in RM. It's one file at a  time. But after a bulk drag and drop of files into RM's Media Gallery, each file still has to be tagged to the appropriate places in RM, one file at a time.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,

I agree. It seems to me that just using the RM7 media functions, and my own media naming conventions , actually work just as well. My biggest problem comes from using Ancestry Tree Share, which saves media to my media directory with Ancestry's file name. I have to then find the file, modify the name, and then use properties in the RM record to change the media link to match my changes. This all works ok but is tedious and time consuming. I guess I was hoping for some new functionalty that would help automate this process.

Rick 

#98975 Release Date for RM8

Posted by Rick Landrum on 10 February 2021 - 04:03 PM in Discussion

Rick, it's very easy, see my video linked below.

https://www.youtube....h?v=25gkgOAgv3k

and don't forget to Subscribe if you want notifications of future honest videos.

Vyger,

Thanks, the video was very helpful.

Rick

#98971 Release Date for RM8

Posted by Rick Landrum on 10 February 2021 - 09:42 AM in Discussion

Well, I'm not demanding anything, but.........

I was not aware you could drag and drop media to RM7. Been doing this a long time.....

I know this is a little off topic but, I'd appreciate a quick description of how you do that.

Thanks,

Rick  :)

#98967 Merging Sources - RM7

Posted by Rick Landrum on 07 February 2021 - 08:24 PM in Discussion

Oh man - - that's what I thought

Thanks

Rick

#98965 Merging Sources - RM7

Posted by Rick Landrum on 07 February 2021 - 10:21 AM in Discussion

Does anyone know how (or if it is possible) to perform a multiple manual master source merge, where source #1 is the one to keep, and sources #2 - #n are to be merged? (This is not the same as an automatic source merge because the sources to be merged are not exact duplicates). In other words, I have the source identified that I want to keep, and I have found several others, that are essentially the same, that I want to merge into the first one. Instead of having to manally merge each one at a time, I want to select several to be merged and do them all at once. Any help on this will be appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

#98942 Citing from personal knowledge RM7

Posted by Rick Landrum on 29 January 2021 - 10:59 AM in Sentence and Source Templates

zhangrau,

This type of information/suggestion is exactly why I feel this forum should be kept alive. The ability to go back to previous postings, and bring those forward to update for a new or similar situation, is great!!

I have wondered how to handle these "biography" type sources, especially "word of mouth" type oral histories, and this is an excellent approach.

Thanks for the info.

Rick 

#98934 Has the forum been closed?

Posted by Rick Landrum on 27 January 2021 - 08:48 AM in Discussion

I've been following the comments on this topic as well. I support the idea of keeping this forum going. I have received so much good information and tips from this forum that I'd hate to think what my RM experience would have been like without it. For many reasons, mostly not related to genealogy, I have no intention of using facebook. Hope we keep this site going.

Rick

#98865 Transferring source/citation details from ANC to RM7

Posted by Rick Landrum on 08 January 2021 - 03:59 PM in Discussion

That was not what i wanted to hear, but it was what I expected. Manually copying and pasting these details works ok but is very time consuming. I was hoping RM8 would have an improved process.

Thanks anyway

Rick

#98860 Transferring source/citation details from ANC to RM7

Posted by Rick Landrum on 08 January 2021 - 10:54 AM in Discussion

Renee,

So I assume (given the future switch to RM8) that nothing will be done about this in RM7; and that I will just have to continue to manually copy/paste the data?

Any word on how this will work in RM8?

Rick

#98851 Transferring source/citation details from ANC to RM7

Posted by Rick Landrum on 07 January 2021 - 02:04 PM in Discussion

I have a two part question.

Shortly after TreeShare was introduced, I asked the forum if anyone knew how to copy the source/citation details from Ancestry to Roots Magic when an Ancestry  hint was accepted and transferred to RM. The answer I received was that I would have to copy and paste those details into RM manually. Tree Share will not move that data across. I have been using that process every since. It is slow and tedious to accomplish. I copy the research notes, summary, transcription, extraction, or text from the source, and then paste it into the RM7 source detail text. ( I realize that not everyone may want these details transferred, but I use the information routinely to search for more information about other family members.)

My first question is, has anything changed?
I'm hoping I am just missing a step in the process that would automate the transfer of this data.

My second question is, will RM8 have any improvements  in this regard?
Since it appears that I will be using RM7 for some time to come, at least until RM8 is available, I sure would like to have a faster/easier process for capturing and transferring this data.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks
Rick

#98555 TreeShare Failing during API update to Ancestry

Posted by Rick Landrum on 25 November 2020 - 11:40 AM in Issues

Oops,

Sorry Renee,

I sent last message before I saw your previous response. Will try the reset.

Thanks

Rick

Reset seems to have done the trick. Ancestry is having a variety of server issues today so this may not be a good test. I'll try some more later.

Thanks again

#98553 TreeShare Failing during API update to Ancestry

Posted by Rick Landrum on 25 November 2020 - 11:37 AM in Issues

Renee,

Problem continues. All TreeShare updates are taking a very long time to process and are resulting in error messages (see below) but data does seem to be loading OK. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Rick

Ancestry TreeShare Error Report
Send Error Report to RootsMagic
An error occured during communication with the Ancestry API. Although it is optional, you can send the error log to RootsMagic so that we can track down what happened in order to fix the problem. Any information sent will only be used to fix the problem and then deleted.
Please provide details about what you were doing (steps) before this error...

#98546 TreeShare Failing during API update to Ancestry

Posted by Rick Landrum on 24 November 2020 - 10:43 AM in Issues

Renee,

Probably is. This morning I'm seeing very long delays in the updates, but the data seems to be updating OK. However, I'm still seeing occasional total freezes and data will not transfer.

Thanks

Rick

#98543 TreeShare Failing during API update to Ancestry

Posted by Rick Landrum on 23 November 2020 - 11:26 AM in Issues

New issue this morning - 100% of TreeSare updates from RM7 started failing. I get a message on screen to send report to RM with details about what I was doing when error occured. Have done this multiple times but process continues to fail.

Rick

#98522 TreeShare Issue with Ancestry Sources

Posted by Rick Landrum on 19 November 2020 - 09:23 AM in Discussion

Jim,

You have stated much more eloquently than I how to deal with this issue. As I previously stated, I'm back to where I was before "TreeShare". I use other platforms to do my research and then manually post the data to my RM tree. This works with no issues. However, I do have a subscription on Ancestry, and several family members who use, and prefer, Ancestry. Therefore I use the hints in Ancestry to populate my tree there for their sake. If I have data in RM, that is not on Ancestry, I'll just have to manually enter it there. In the long run this is much more efficient than fighting all the problems with the TreeShare interface.

Thank you for your comments.

Rick

#98497 TreeShare Issue with Ancestry Sources

Posted by Rick Landrum on 16 November 2020 - 01:19 PM in Discussion

Thanks Jerry,

WOW!! That's helpful, or at least good to know.

However, TreeShare in my opinion does not live up to it's hype and promise. If anything it has just caused me a huge mess to have to clean up. So, I guess I'm right where I thought I was, having to choose which platform will be my standard. Essentially, I have already done that, it's RM, because I just like it better. I will continue to use Ancestry as a research source and concentrate on getting the data I find to go one way over to RM. I'll use the hints in Ancestry to populate my tree there. Since I'm already having to copy source details and paste them into my RM sources, I'll just continue on that path.

Waiting to see what if anything that RM8 brings to the table.

Rick

PS - this takes me back to what I was doing before the introduction of Tree Share, so I guess that's not so bad.

#98492 TreeShare Issue with Ancestry Sources

Posted by Rick Landrum on 16 November 2020 - 09:37 AM in Discussion

I have a question regarding TreeShare and RootsMagic8.

I have always had a problem with TreeShare posting sources to RM, but failing to post the research details. This required me to manually copy that information from Ancestry and paste it into the RM source details.

Some time ago, I started running into issues with TreeShare not transferring sources from RM to Ancestry. Instead, Ancestry would place the source notes as "unsourced citations". There are numerous posts in this forum about this problem. I had come to believe that the cause  for this was that the Ancestry source had been posted to RM by TreeShare, and that I had later copied the source to another RM tree member event. Ancestry then lost the reference to the source and did not recognize it when TreeShare tried to post it back to Ancestry. While this does appear to be true, I have also discovered a different but related issue. I had some problems with my RootsMagic 7 data base and I ended up having to reload it to Ancestry. Two problems resulted. One, Ancestry reset all of the "hints". This I knew would occur. Second, Ancestry did not recognize any of the sources coming from RM7 and TreeShare, even though they originally came from Ancestry. I recently launched a review of my entire RM tree, comparing it to my Ancestry tree, and I found these two issues existed across the entire Ancestry tree.

I have tried to use TreeShare to correct the problems to no avail. As a result, if I want to keep my RM and Ancestry trees synchronized, I will have to repost all the missing sources  in Ancestry by re-processing all the hints. Or, I can choose to only maintain my RM tree,  and leave my Ancestry tree as is. So basically, this situation is forcing me to choose between the two platforms to be my standard.

My question is, will RM8 correct any of this?

Any insights appreciated.

Rick

#98341 where to put a life history

Posted by Rick Landrum on 24 October 2020 - 08:36 AM in Discussion

I also use fact types "Biography" and "Family Oral History" for these types of entries. (I also do not recall if these were native to RM or if I created them.) I had not considered also making them sources, but that is a good idea.

Rick

#98328 Changing a FACT type

Posted by Rick Landrum on 21 October 2020 - 03:24 PM in Discussion

KFN,  I know, I was only kidding. I take it very seriously and want to do the best that I can given the limitations of the current software. I guess I will continue to use the "sharing" method, with appropriate notes added to point readers to the census record that does transfer. Hopefully some additional functionality will come out of RM8.

Rick

:rolleyes:

#98326 Changing a FACT type

Posted by Rick Landrum on 21 October 2020 - 01:55 PM in Discussion

Well, I see everybody's point. However, I'm no spring chicken ,so I'd like to finish my research and pass it on to family in this life time. If there is a shortcut, I'd like to know about it.  :D

Thanks

Rick