tcloud's Content

There have been 11 items by tcloud (Search limited from 18-April 20)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#32448 A new Forum for SQLite interfaces to RM data

Posted by tcloud on 31 December 2009 - 06:42 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

What is RMNOCASE in the field definition? I'm assuming this is a variation on NOCASE defined for RootsMagic?

#32454 A new Forum for SQLite interfaces to RM data

Posted by tcloud on 31 December 2009 - 09:44 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I've added to http://mykindred.com/RM4/
- Role Table
- notes for various field definitions
- link to the RM4 SQLite Wiki
- other stuff ...

I have called the Role Table "Role Types" ... does that seem the best description?

Please email me comments, additions, corrections .... I am not using RM4, so the field definitions I put there are based on past experience and could be incorrect.

#32432 A new Forum for SQLite interfaces to RM data

Posted by tcloud on 30 December 2009 - 06:03 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Well, it has been almost two weeks since I posted this Wish and sent a PM to Bruce. I also sent a PM to Michael later on requesting the same thing. So maybe your observation is right, given the lack of response, Admittedly, it is a holiday period which could slow things down.

A Yahoo group would be an improvement for storing files and message attachments but its message archive search engine sucks. I'm an experienced Yahoo group owner/moderator and could readily set one up but would want at least one other co-owner in case something happens to me. I'm not familiar with other groups like MSN's.

I also do not care for the Yahoo Groups format. We could set something up on rootsweb but it wouldn't be password protected.

#32447 A new Forum for SQLite interfaces to RM data

Posted by tcloud on 31 December 2009 - 05:56 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

To answer the question of what I used to get the data from the RM4 database -- I just fiddled around with several yesterday morning. The one that seemed to work best for me was SQLite2009 Pro, but I hadn't tried the highest recommended on Tom's page:
http://sqlitetoolsfo.../SQLiteManagers

From what I saw of the queries already there, it looks like you're already making progress -- what is it that is wanted? ... more queries? ... ?

WRT the post about the Role table -- please send whatever you think might be useful to me via email and I'll add it. (tcloud@@austin.rr.com remove the extra '@')

The index page http://mykindred.com/RM4/ and the page of table structures aren't what I had envisioned -- I intended to break it up into one web page per table, add columns for field definitions and notes and we can collaborate on the function of each field.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in this. From the log of hits on the pages I put up, there seems to be maybe half a dozen different IPs that visited them. IOW there's no need for Bruce to devote time to something only a dozen or so users will use, IMO.

** One thing I requested be added when I beta-tested the DNA function of RM4 was the ability to batch data into the program. That is a query I'd like to see now -- DNA data versus person ID number and whatever else is necessary. Having to enter each Y-STR value one at a time is a drag, and especially when you might have 20 or more participants in a group.

#32431 A new Forum for SQLite interfaces to RM data

Posted by tcloud on 30 December 2009 - 05:59 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I have added more data. This isn't my field of expertise.
Let me know if you have anything to contribute.

http://mykindred.com/RM4/

#32416 A new Forum for SQLite interfaces to RM data

Posted by tcloud on 30 December 2009 - 09:10 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

Bruce may not be comfortable hosting this as he might not want to have the headaches associated with the problems that can be caused.

We could start a bulletin board at Yahoo Groups or somewhere else. Our purpose, as I understand what is desired, is simply to enhance our use of RM4 with things like advanced queries and reports.

To kick this off, I've put a few reference items on line at:
http://mykindred.com/RM4/

.... This is just to get it started -- I am NOT interested in hosting this on my site or in being anything other than a contributor.

Tom

#32195 A new Forum for SQLite interfaces to RM data

Posted by tcloud on 17 December 2009 - 01:25 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

This is to request the creation of a new forum under the RootsMagic root for the collection of topics on interfacing to the RM SQLite database for queries, reports and data modifications that are difficult or impossible to carry out from within the RootsMagic application. A suggested title would be "SQLite Tools".

I would like to see that too.

#34540 add Given Name report

Posted by tcloud on 29 March 2010 - 12:44 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Isn't this the place to post requests for additional features?

If I wanted to know how to kluge something to achieve this result, I'd post it to the appropriate forum. I have ways to do this, but none of them is a built-in feature.

This was a request -- "Wish List" -- for a built-in report that would return the number of given names per surname just as the surname frequency list does this now.

#34504 add Given Name report

Posted by tcloud on 29 March 2010 - 05:33 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

It would be useful to have an option to allow reporting on frequency of Given names for a particular surname.

#34502 add "Country of Origin" field

Posted by tcloud on 29 March 2010 - 05:29 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

When doing a One Name Study .... ( http://www.one-name....iles/cloud.html ) the admin is responsible for collecting all instances of a surname (and variants) worldwide.

This becomes a real mess trying to keep the different families sorted out (for example, I currently have almost 500 people in my surname study with the given name "William").

Having a field -- separate from the place field -- for "Country of Origin" would be a significant help with that. There should be an option to display this on the primary Edit page next to the surname. And then an option in the reports to use that field as a selection criteria.

#32073 Gedcom import problem

Posted by tcloud on 12 December 2009 - 06:09 PM in Discussion

I have received a gedcom from a lady that was generated in Family Tree Maker 2005 (12.0.345 SP1).

I've tried reading it in RM-3 and RM-4. Both give similar errors:
There is more data on another disk. Insert the disk with <filename>.G00

The gedcom is 13 MB in size.

It begins with
0 HEADER
  1 SOURCE FTW

and ends with
0 @NS023211@ NOTE Indexed records.
0 TRAILER

Is the problem their use of tags over 4 characters long?

How do I read this gedcom?

thanks,
Tom