Kevin Wornell's Content

There have been 7 items by Kevin Wornell (Search limited from 09-December 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#44271 Import multiple media files

Posted by Kevin Wornell on 01 May 2011 - 02:47 PM in Discussion

I would like to import a large number of files that contain census, marriage, military, etc. information into Roots Magic. Working with the Media Gallery all I can find is that I have to import these files one at a time. Is there a way to import multiple files into the Media Gallery en masse so that they are available to be linked to the corresponding facts?

Kevin

#42596 Backups

Posted by Kevin Wornell on 07 February 2011 - 04:47 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

It has been stated in one of the Webinars (I think) that this will never be the case. Firstly there is no need and the downside would be slow and sluggish files running into GB's in size and that is something which would turn me away from RM.

There are many ways to back up your entire genealogy collection and a bit of searching for "best practices" would stand be of great benefit to you rather than messing up a good genealogy program.

Well if it is true that that this will 'never happen' then it certainly simplifies a decision for me. If this is 'never' going to be included then RM will never adhere to common database programming 'Best Practices' of having all related data included in the backup so a 'Full Recovery' can be accomplished with only the database backup.

I keep hearing about all this worry about file size and sluggishness yet I work with databases on a routine basis that contain large media based objects within the database themselves and there is no performance issue. I would much prefer a slower backup that could be restored from a single file, or single command, and that maintained at least a relative folder structure than the pain of multiple backup files and trying to match everything back up again.

Kevin

#42331 Backups

Posted by Kevin Wornell on 01 February 2011 - 11:56 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I would like to see photo media imported into Roots Magic so that I have the option of including that media during a full backup, instead of just a reference to an external file.

I have voiced this request in the past and so far no movement on it. Perhaps we will see it at some point as part of an overall improvement ot the Media handling capabilities in Roots Magic. Including perhaps Cut & Paste, ability to Higlight and Annotate medi from within Roots Magic, partial image definition (faces).......

Kevin

#41358 Sentence Template Issue

Posted by Kevin Wornell on 27 December 2010 - 07:53 AM in Discussion

Thank you for the replies. It makes sense that there could be an issue using the Husband or Spouse variable with multiple spouses.

I think the easiest thing for me to do is just modify the sentence each time I use that fact. I have the basic information in the sentence template and I can simply replace the bracketed part with a name by customizing the sentence. Just need to be sure I have the sentence exactly as I want it before I begin using it very much.

#41348 Source Bug

Posted by Kevin Wornell on 26 December 2010 - 01:59 PM in Issues

There is a bug in the program where if you set up a source then add the source to some facts. Once these sources have been added you go back and add a field to the source. Then if you set the source up to not print unless something is entered into the new field you have to go back and blank out all of the sources with the field added or they will print with nothing in the field.

I wonder if this is related to the issue I have seen where you add an existing source to a fact, then memorize it and add it to additonal facts. If you made a mistake or typo in the source when you add it originally you have to manually go and find all the places where you pasted that source and correct it in them as well.

It looks like an existing source added to a fact is not stored as a unique item and then referenced in multiple places but rather constructed and then stored multiple times, once for each fact it is associated with. It would be so much easier to correct mistakes in sources associated with multiple facts like death certificates, birth certificates, etc. if the source was stored once and then referenced.

#41346 Sentence Template Issue

Posted by Kevin Wornell on 26 December 2010 - 01:42 PM in Discussion

I have created a new fact for recording when a widow files for military benefits based on her husband's military service. I am trying to get either [Husband] or [Spouse] to be in the sentence. Neither one seems to work. Here is my sentence template:

[person] filed for military pension benefits based on<[Spouse]>'s service in the< [Desc]>< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

I put the war/military campaign in the [Desc] filed so the resulting sentence should look like this:

Mary Jones filed for military pension benefits based on Tom Jones's service in the Civil War on Jan 1 1890 in Missouri.

Everything works properly except the name of the husband. The sentence actually looks like this:

Mary Jones filed for military pension benefits based on [Husband]'s service in the Civil War on Jan 1 1890 in Missouri.

#39164 Linking Existing Children to Parents

Posted by Kevin Wornell on 13 September 2010 - 01:11 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I recently had to unlink a group of children from one couple, and then link them to another couple. They were originally linked to their father and one wife and in reality needed to be linked to a different mother. When I went to link the children to the correct parents I saw a way that the program could be a bit more efficient.

When adding a children to a family you can choose between adding a new person or an existing person in the database. If when you choose to add an existing person the selection list allowed you to select multiple people it would speed things up. Also if when adding children the selection list would highlight the first entry with the same surname in the selection list that would also speed things up a bit.