Viking's Content

There have been 10 items by Viking (Search limited from 28-January 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#43760 Merge duplicate persons

Posted by Viking on 29 March 2011 - 07:31 PM in Discussion

The way I do it is to change one of the person's name, then manual merge and then delete the alternate name that you don't want.

#39512 Family multimedia scrapbook

Posted by Viking on 30 September 2010 - 06:43 AM in Issues

I purchased Rootsmagic4 (4.0.9.6) and used it to import a Family Origins 4 database.

The problem is, I lost all my links to the images that were in the Family multimedia scrapbooks for every person.

Unfortunately, I didn't notice this failure until I made major changes to the new program files.

How can I recover from this? Why are all the Family multimedia scrapbooks missing? How can I get help with this???

Thanks in advance for any help I receive.

I recently change the structure of my multimedia folders and used the fix broken links and it did find all the broken links. It did take some time since it searched all my disks. It would be nice if the search started at the multimedia folder selected in the Program Options.

#38984 Duplicate Spouse

Posted by Viking on 06 September 2010 - 07:11 PM in Discussion

Try manual merge then fix the name as you want it. Delete the alternate name fact after the merge
Viking

#38394 In Wills; share this fact

Posted by Viking on 11 August 2010 - 11:31 AM in Discussion

Thanks for your quick reply. I came back to cancel the request since I did find the method.

Again thanks for your quick response.

George

#38390 In Wills; share this fact

Posted by Viking on 11 August 2010 - 10:39 AM in Discussion

I shared a will with several people and created a new role type. I made a mistake in creating the role type and would like to delete the role type. How do I do that? the role type I created was heir/executor. I would like to delete and recreate one and create the default sentence for it. Another way to do that would be to find a way to edit the role type and allow me to create the default sentence.

#38386 Columns in Indexes

Posted by Viking on 10 August 2010 - 10:15 PM in Issues

This is the same as the previous version. It is only on the last page and only if it is not a full page.

#38089 Publisher

Posted by Viking on 30 July 2010 - 12:47 PM in Issues

I just completed creating a rather large book and noticed the following issues that I couldn't work around. This to to request some changes in future releases for the Publisher Book. My output is saved as a PDF.

Scrapbook problems-- using the [couple][person] it displays a name different than the selected person or couple in the TOC and in the final output.

FGS reports: - Using [couple or person] the chapter listing on the left side does not display the selected person or couple. The final output will have the selected person or couple.

PHOTO TREE - on the left side the name displayed is not the name in the Title line. The Title line is used in the final output.

George

#38054 Publisher

Posted by Viking on 28 July 2010 - 06:38 AM in Discussion

In my preceding post, the example spaces were removed.
There were five and 10 spaces before the subchapters.

George

#38053 Publisher

Posted by Viking on 28 July 2010 - 06:36 AM in Discussion

Bill, thanks for the hint. I had thought about trying something like what you mention. I will experiment a little. What I want is to be able look at the TOC and easily find the contents and for it to look good, both from the Generated report and the PDF file I create. I don't want to try RTF or Text output and solve using word processors. I don't want to write the macros to automate the word processors.

I currently have indented the subchapters and it appears to help, but, it has it own drawbacks. An example of what I have done today is
"Parents" Family Group Report
Father's scrapbook
Mother's scrapbook
Parent's family scrapbook
"daughter/son" Descendants narrative
"daughter/son" scrapbook
"daughter/son" scrapbook
"daughter/son" family scrapbook
Report for all the children.

Start over with the Parents. In my case I have 13 Parents. (A large family)

With your Chapter idea. One possibility is:
Chapter xx "Parents 1" family and descendants
"Parents" Family Group Report
Father's scrapbook
Mother's scrapbook
Parent's family scrapbook
"daughter/son" Descendants narrative
"daughter/son" scrapbook
"daughter/son" scrapbook
"daughter/son" family scrapbook
Report for all the children.
It would be nice if the reports could be removed from the TOC.

I was hoping there was an easier way to cause the TOC to indent chapters/subchapters.The Chapter #s are not as important as the TOC indenting, the font size.

Thanks for your hints.
George/Viking

#38039 Publisher

Posted by Viking on 27 July 2010 - 01:23 PM in Discussion

Is it possible to easily have the word "Chapter" and the number to display when creating a Publisher Book and to also print in the TOC. It would also be nice to allow some formatting of the TOC, such as indenting, etc.I have a several books that are about 400 pages and about 175 chapters. The TOC would be easier to follow in Chapter x and Section X was allowed and also indenting was allowed.