Glenn's Content

There have been 74 items by Glenn (Search limited from 13-December 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#55832 Register Report

Posted by Glenn on 18 January 2013 - 03:04 PM in Discussion

Hi Laura,

I'm just a bit curious about your marriage sentences (using Sutton/Cassada)
"John W. Sutton and Eliza Jane Cassada were married. John W. Sutton"

Why does the first of the spouses appear by him/herself after the sentence? :huh:

Glenn

#55815 Download and Install of RM6 fails

Posted by Glenn on 17 January 2013 - 12:00 PM in Issues

As of Jan 11, 2130 central, it still lists the latest upgrade as RootsMagic 6.0.0.3 Installer at:http://www.rootsmagi...tes/RootsMagic/

Hi Alfred, I had to borrow your "Oops" expression. I did see "central" but it just went flying by into the next century, 117 years from now! :rolleyes: :huh:

Glenn

#55317 Old Old Old Gedcom files and Getting Started

Posted by Glenn on 25 December 2012 - 11:08 AM in Discussion

Although I can't help you with the answers -_- , I just wanted to say Congratulations! What a wonderful Christmas present. :)
Your future work sounds like quite the adventure.

Best wishes and Happy New Year.

#55297 Citing Sources (newbie question)

Posted by Glenn on 23 December 2012 - 09:35 PM in Discussion

I am trying very hard to eliminate the source with the person as I have found over the years of using RM it is not a good process for me to use.

Great idea :) -- I like it. Are you making your changes "everybody-at-once" or just correcting the record as you open it for another change?

#55263 Publish Online website

Posted by Glenn on 21 December 2012 - 10:56 PM in Issues

==== Hmmm, John Dow could be a distant cousin of John Doe, you know how these name get misunderstood at times <_< ===

Sure! Census enumerators and intake interviewers at Ellis Island and other ports of entry wrote down what they heard.
Case in point: Mother’s cousin married Joseph Cornelius Bisig (b. 1899) and the census informant obviously gave the name as Joe C. as show on the census image
Josie Bisig 7/12 Relation to Head of House: Daughter
How interesting: I only did some C/P and the name ends up in this message as a hyperlink! :huh:

Oops! I just noticed you were making a statement, not asking a question! Sorry, Alfred ^_^

#54741 News Screen / Welcome Screen

Posted by Glenn on 04 December 2012 - 05:47 PM in Issues

Applause, applause, :) a win-win situation! Saves us the time we'd use in requesting support, gives you more time for your "real job", and saves us the time on wondering if we should click that "now ancient" check-for-updates button, :unsure: which I hope has done a disappearing act. :blink:
Just my :wacko: sense of humor!

#54276 Colouring ancestors

Posted by Glenn on 24 November 2012 - 01:17 PM in Discussion

. . .For instance, color yourself and all your ancestors red.
Color your father and all his ancestors blue
Color your paternal grandmother and all her ancestors green
Color your maternal grandfather maroon. . .

Wouldn't that leave just yourself red and just your father blue, etc?

#54273 Publish Online website

Posted by Glenn on 24 November 2012 - 01:00 PM in Issues

I have seen this issue with the overlapping pictures, and as far as I know it only appears in Internet Explorer. I'll be looking into this next week, so hopefully you'll be seeing an update next week or the week after with this resolved.

Is this enough of an issue to consider switching web browsers, or is IE "quick on the fix" like the Roots Magician?

#54214 Rootsmagic 6

Posted by Glenn on 23 November 2012 - 10:26 PM in Discussion

You can open RootsMagic 4 & 5 databases directly in RM6 and it will convert the file format. Once you have converted to RM6 the only way to go back to RM4 or 5 is through a GEDCOM. That is why it's especially import to create a backup of your database before converting.

I made a copy of RM5 to keep the original intact and named the copy: gpw V5 to open with V6 (COPY A) .

#54213 Sentence template fields in notes

Posted by Glenn on 23 November 2012 - 10:05 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Hmm. . . Since you mentioned cycling, I just wonder if the cycling could be randomized.

Name twice; he/she 3 times; name once; he/she once; name 3 times

As you can see, I'm not the best randomizer!
:wacko:

#54063 County Check, Places, Geocoding et al

Posted by Glenn on 22 November 2012 - 12:12 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Search for "_County," replace with "," if I understand your question. Then repeat the process using _Parish. Of course, remember not to use quote marks (") in the real search.

Underscore "_" = null space

#54061 RM 2 GO MODE

Posted by Glenn on 22 November 2012 - 11:28 AM in Discussion

Thank you, Alfred

". . .If you later hand move the files to a different folder, or change the name of your program
folder. . ."

Why I didn't think of that I'll never know! :rolleyes: Too big a hurry, I guess. :wacko:

#54025 RM 2 GO MODE

Posted by Glenn on 21 November 2012 - 11:25 PM in Discussion

I see the "rotating" Update Available arrow at the opposite side of the screen from the relationship indicator. :)
However, when I try to click it, I get the message that I am running in To-Go Mode :huh:, and to "Update your desktop copy of RootsMagic and then run RootsMagic-To-Go to update this copy."

I'm pretty sure it is related to creating new folders for RM V6: Backup, Data, GEDCOM, Multimedia, Reports and RootsMagic 6 where I will be keeping the V6 program.

So, I guess my first question is "How to follow the instructions" for which I am clueless! :rolleyes:

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody. :) :)

#53694 Websearch and Ancestry

Posted by Glenn on 09 November 2012 - 12:53 PM in Discussion

Ancestry is working and has been working fine for me in RM 5.0.4.1. Right now Ancestry Message Boards is returning a Check Back Soon message from Ancestry.

Thanks, Laura, for this bit of news. I've been working on a duplicate-email message-problem, but I was wondering why I hadn't been getting their standard messages about surnames of interest.

#53664 Death Fact/Marriage Fact

Posted by Glenn on 07 November 2012 - 08:32 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

. . .you could costumize the sentence. . .

Your sentence is only a week late for Halloween, poor thing! ^_^
Sorry Laura, but I couldn't resist!

#53663 File merges

Posted by Glenn on 07 November 2012 - 05:45 PM in Discussion

I would like to see the ability to take different files and merge them into a master file if a common ancestor is found in both files. For example, I have a Thacher file and a Martin file. Both have a Hezekiah Gorham with identical birth, marriage and death dates. The biggest difference is the the Thacher file has more verified primary sources in it than the Martin file. I would like to merge the Thacher file into the Martin file.

This is probably a case of semantics, but wouldn't you want to merge the file with the least "verified primary sources" [Martin] into the one with more? That could be offset if the Martin file had "a ton" more records than the Thacher file: i.e.:
Martin file: primary sources -- 20, individuals -- 2500
Thacher file: primary sources -- 50, individuals -- 1500

#53347 Old Registration Keys

Posted by Glenn on 20 October 2012 - 10:06 AM in General Messages

Prior versions are still supported -- they're just no longer updated.

Thanks, Romer for the clarification. :)

We would much rather not have to support older versions of the software.

Renee:
I'm guessing your "druthers" are based on time taken away from the active version and not that supporting older version is more difficult.

#53310 Old Registration Keys

Posted by Glenn on 18 October 2012 - 11:47 AM in General Messages

Renee: I thought (there I go again :rolleyes: ) that once a new version was out, the old one ceased to be supported, period.

IBPete: IMHO, Renee and RootsMagic are very generous with their permission(s).
Also, why would your friends want an "antique", especially Version 3, if they intend to sharpen their genealogical knowledge and usage?

#53227 Can't login to FamilySearch - they made a change?

Posted by Glenn on 13 October 2012 - 04:13 PM in FamilySearch Family Tree

Your understanding of Ancestry.com is incorrect. It is your responsibility, as a user, to read the Terms and Conditions of every website you access. By doing so, you educate yourself with the facts, right from the source, and you prevent yourself from assuming, or spreading, mis-truths and half-truths. For Ancestry.com, that means clicking the appropriate link at the bottom of any Ancestry web page.

By submitting User Provided Content to Ancestry, you grant Ancestry, its parent company and all of its affiliates, a transferable license to use, host, sublicense and distribute your submission to the extent and in the form or context. . .
This is where I got my "disinformation" and crossed wires by trying to remember -- it sounded so ominous(?) Not the word I'm looking for. . .
. . .Ancestry acquires no title or ownership rights in or to any content you submit and nothing in this Agreement conveys any ownership rights in the content you submit to us.
. . .and this is what you were conveying -- Thank you.

As for ACDC, I can assure you that there is no relationship between an Australian heavy-metal band and the LDS church. ;)

Sorry :( -- “. . .my understanding of Ancestry” should have been worded “. . .Ancestry.com (AnCDotCom)” because I was aware of the band and didn't mean to connect them to the LDS church.

#53203 Can't login to FamilySearch - they made a change?

Posted by Glenn on 11 October 2012 - 04:42 PM in FamilySearch Family Tree

Romer

The left "semi-pane" contains the User Name and Password boxes with the sign-in button.
The right pane contains headings FamilySearch Web Site and More Great Products. Below these headings are thumbnail-and-word links to each of these places.

I'm not too sure if I'll be adding to the web site at least until all the bugs are resolved; also because of my understanding of Ancestry (which I asked about at least a year ago) that they assume ownership of all that I had uploaded to them. I also understood that ACDC was related to LDS.

On a side note: "I wish I had thought of this earlier when New FamilySearch had first notified that they were beginning their incremental roll out."

"All forum members: Check once daily and post here as soon as you have access to nFS. Then maybe we can determine when the rest of us will have access!"

Well, it would have been interesting to have seen if there were any special directions, i.e., By cities within States and with states in alpha order or order of admission. :rolleyes:

#53198 Can't login to FamilySearch - they made a change?

Posted by Glenn on 11 October 2012 - 02:51 PM in FamilySearch Family Tree

When I went to http://www.new.familysearch.org/, and used my user name and password, I got a Welcome page with four tabs.
1. Home
2. Me and My Ancestors, where I found
Start of a family tree with three boxes started:
Glenn – add or find wife;
Father box – add or find husband, add or find wife
Child box – add or find child
Summary box for myself containing
Person identifier: L89H-P22 which I’m guessing has the same purpose as the record number in RM DB’s
Name & Gender (filled in and “clickable”) with edit buttons for each; Contributors – “glenn3” for each, also “clickable”)
The rest of the page has similar actions comparable to RM DB.

When I went to https://familysearch.org/, I got a search page with boxes for first and last names; plus search by life events, relationships and batch number.

I took a cursory look at “Do I need to register”, but I didn’t see any reason I would need to since I was able to search at http://www.new.familysearch.org/ above.

#53144 Place notes

Posted by Glenn on 10 October 2012 - 11:15 AM in Discussion

Hi Laura,

I thought I may have gotten a litte too focused :( ! Glad you helped me get out of the (focus) spotlight. Thank you. :)

#53118 Place notes

Posted by Glenn on 09 October 2012 - 03:46 PM in Discussion

You can create a person, APPENDIXES:. Link this person as the last child of the beginning person.
Link children to APPENDIXES:

Appendix A - Smithville, James County, Arkansas. [Put your notes in the person [General] note]
Appendix B - First Baptist Church, Smithville, James County Arkansas

Then save the Narrative report as a .rtf or text file and clean up the Appendix part of the report.

Hi Laura:
Is your "beginning person" Record #1 and his/her "grandchildren" are as many appendixes as you need?

Record #1 in my DB is yours truly, so:

1: Glenn
11: First dau
12: 2nd dau
13 - 15: 3 sons
16: APPENDIXES
161: Appendix A - Smithville. . .
162: Appendix B - First Baptist. . .

#53060 Form of Marriage

Posted by Glenn on 05 October 2012 - 12:05 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Sentence:
[Husband] and [Wife] were married< [desc]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>< [Date]>.

Description:
by common-in-law

by his/her partner's mother/father? Are they "duly authorized"? :huh:

#52873 Private Facts

Posted by Glenn on 22 September 2012 - 03:10 PM in Discussion

I don't think so.

But, it isn't too much of a chore to down arrow through the fact list while watching the right pane under Include to see if a "No" ever shows up.

Much agreed with your assessment. It didn't take that long with my new blank No-GED-Facts DB. So, it should be just as quick with my main DB -- Maybe quicker if my memory is correct and I've never changed any switches. :)

Much obliged,