BillieS's Content

There have been 8 items by BillieS (Search limited from 22-October 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#95132 Custom Reports

Posted by BillieS on 04 September 2019 - 08:05 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I want to produce an outline descendant list, and be able to choose from the all of the facts and events which items to include.. The list that I want to produce shows a persons full name, alternate name, and life span without exact dates (e.g. 1900-1975), and no other information . I haven't been able to find a way to customize the list from within RM. It can probably be done with SQLite, but it would be much easier to have it available in the program.

#95131 Changing fields on import

Posted by BillieS on 04 September 2019 - 07:52 AM in General Messages

Thanks Tom and Jerry.  I think that I'll keep my custom field rather than try to move the several thousand Hebrew names to "alternate name" - at least until I learn how to use SQLite.  That's definitely on my to do list.

#95126 Changing fields on import

Posted by BillieS on 04 September 2019 - 03:06 AM in General Messages

It looks like I'll have to keep the custom fact as is.

#95113 Changing fields on import

Posted by BillieS on 03 September 2019 - 08:30 AM in General Messages

I'm moving from an old version of Family Tree Maker to RootsMagic. In FTM there was no field for alternate names, so I created a custom fact (which is, but shouldn't be attached to a date) , and entered the alternate name in the place/description field, leaving the date blank. As RM can handle alternate names, is there a way that I can move the name to where it should be? And if so, can I then print a report that shows both names?

#95110 Creating gedcom files from text

Posted by BillieS on 03 September 2019 - 08:11 AM in General Messages

I changed the CHAR line to UTF-8  It worked!  THANK YOU! :)

The original software is Family Tree Maker 2005. I have a 2nd question, but it's a different topic so I'll send that separately.

#95107 Creating gedcom files from text

Posted by BillieS on 03 September 2019 - 07:27 AM in General Messages

My gedcom file was produced by a program that does not support Unicode. Despite this, I was able to enter Hebrew letters in one of the fact fields. When I exported the file to gedcom, the Hebrew letters came out in a different (Corsican) alphabet. The change that I had to make was to convert the letters one by one to the correct alphabet. 

I followed Jerry's suggestion using Windows File Explorer. In the original file, I changed the char at the beginning of the gedcom file from ANSI to UNICODE, and then letter by letter, using "replace" changed the Corsican letters into Hebrew, and saved the file. I was able to change the extension from .txt to .ged and import the new file. Sounds good, doesn't it?
When I opened the new file in RootsMagic, what should have been Hebrew text came up in a new form of gibberish! and it added letters. What in Hebrew should be מאיר came out as ×ž×�יר ×–×�ב. Even if you are not familiar with the Hebrew alphabet, you can see that there is a difference. 
What now?
I followed your instructions, and everything worked exactly as you said it would. In the original file, I changed the char at the beginning of the file from ANSI to UNICODE, and then letter by letter changed the Corsican letters into Hebrew, and saved the file. I was able to change the extension from .txt to .ged and import the new file. Sounds good, doesn't it?
When I opened the new file in RootsMagic, what should have been Hebrew text came up in a new form of gibberish! and it added letters. What in Hebrew should be מאיר came out as ×ž×�יר ×–×�ב. Even if you don't know the Hebrew alphabet, you can see that there is a difference.

#95099 Creating gedcom files from text

Posted by BillieS on 03 September 2019 - 01:34 AM in General Messages

I had to make a copy of gedcom file and make some corrections before importing the new file into RM. When I save it the suffix changs from .ged to .txt, and the file is not recognized by RM. So the question is: how to I save or create a gedcom file other than by exporting it from a genealogy program?

#95098 Search and Replace

Posted by BillieS on 03 September 2019 - 01:22 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I imported a gedcom file produced by a program that doesn't support Unicode. As a result, words that were typed in a foreign alphabet did not transfer properly. As a result, I have to make global spelling corrections. Using "search" I can easily find the words that need correction, but the current search and replace works only on specific fields and not on words or letters in other locations.  It would be of great help to be able to search for and replace individual letters throughout the database.