seh0872's Content

There have been 2 items by seh0872 (Search limited from 28-November 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#94573 Thinking of switching to RootsMagic

Posted by seh0872 on 29 July 2019 - 12:12 PM in Discussion

Jerry, that's a fantastic update.  Obviously, my concerns about the ease or lack thereof of data entry and updates compared to Legacy are not abated, but the anticipation of a ground-up rebuild of RM due out "this year" is intriguing.  I experimented a bit with the synchronization between RM and Ancestry, and generally I like it quite a bit.  As stated, that feature, combined with the opportunity to disengage Windows from my computer, make RM worth further exploration.  I'll watch closely for more information about the upcoming release.

In the meantime, I'd love to hear others comments about how simple or involved it is to add facts to an individual in RM.

Thanks,

Scott

#94568 Thinking of switching to RootsMagic

Posted by seh0872 on 29 July 2019 - 07:57 AM in Discussion

Hello all...

I'm a long-time Legacy Family Tree user who has been thinking of switching to RootsMagic now that it natively runs on Mac.  While I have a Windows VM on my Mac, Legacy Family Tree is the only program I use on the Windows side, and between the performance drop and the cost/hassle of having to maintain Windows and Parallels, I'd much rather have a native Mac genealogy app.  I tried running Legacy through CrossOver but had poor results.

Up until recently, no native Mac apps could hold a candle to the flexibility or features of Legacy.  But now, with RootsMagic available for Mac (not sure if its native or via CrossOver, but it works well none-the-less) combined with the ability to synchronize my tree with Ancestry (a real plus), makes me seriously consider switching from Legacy to RM.

But, I'm concerned about a few things and wanted the RM communities opinion--particularly anyone who might have some experience with LFT.  I'll play more with the free version of RM to gauge how well I like it, but perhaps you guys could shed some light as well.

* The biggest thing I'm wondering about is the speed at which I can update individual's information.  With Legacy, I've gotten quite used to the keyboard shortcuts which are embedded in my memory, as well as other automatic features I can set such as automatically opening notes after entering an individual, or automatically opening the marriage data box when entering a spouse.  These little features are huge time-savers in a database that is approaching 125,000 individuals.  More significantly, however, seems to be the number of clicks I have to make to update an individual in RM. For example, if I create an individual and return to him/her later to enter his/her information (e.g. birthdate), it seems that I have to click "Add a Fact", scroll through the list of Facts, doubleclick the fact, then click the field in the popup and enter the data.  That's way too many clicks versus LTM, where I navigate to the person and dozens of entry fields are immediately there ... name, dates, places, alternate IDs, tags (which I know only exist in LFT), navigation buttons to sources, notes, hashtags, events, etc.  In short, while I haven't played around enough with RM7 to know for sure, it appears to be a significantly slower data entry system that LFT--which would be a no go for me.  Your experiences/thoughts?

I have a few other things I wonder about -- the loss of tagging and hashtags, no linking to Find-a-Grave, etc., but these are things I'll explore more as I play with the application.  But if it takes me 3x longer to update an individual in RM7 than in LFT, it won't matter anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Scott