BrianRenaud's Content

There have been 8 items by BrianRenaud (Search limited from 19-November 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#94527 Can't delete [Unknown] [Unknown] person

Posted by BrianRenaud on 20 July 2019 - 10:20 PM in Issues

Also, FWIW, [Unknown] doesn't show up in the People view, even though it still shows in the sidebar Name Index.

#94524 Can't delete [Unknown] [Unknown] person

Posted by BrianRenaud on 20 July 2019 - 06:37 PM in Issues

FWIW, right clicking on Unkown entry (as child in family view) and selecting Manual Merge produces error popup "Access violation at address 0138C815 in module 'RoogsMagic.exe'. Read of address 00000000."

I assume this is just some non-defensive [sloppy] programming dereferencing with checking for null pointer, rather than an actually useful fact, but including for completeness.

#94523 Can't delete [Unknown] [Unknown] person

Posted by BrianRenaud on 20 July 2019 - 06:32 PM in Issues

Is it no parents or blank parents?

Try to unlink the child from the non-existent parents and unlink from non-existent spouses

I sometimes find that a phantom child has been created by Treeshare and in order to remove that child I have to unlink them from the parent(s).

I believe it's no parents. (In family view, I see the RM light grey "+Click to add father", "+Click to add mother" prompts.

Unlink from Parents runs without a message, but doesn't seem to do anything. Unlink from Spouse produces an error popup "There is no spouse to unlink".

#94522 Can't delete [Unknown] [Unknown] person

Posted by BrianRenaud on 20 July 2019 - 06:27 PM in Issues

Drag'n'drop is lossy in undesirable ways. Have a look at this fb discussion for alternatives: https://m.facebook.c...155696234617921

Hmm, link produces a "Content Not Found" page. Maybe because I'm not (yet) a member of the RootsMagic Users FB group?  Or did the link get corrupted in the copy/paste process?

Also, I agree that I'd like to avoid drag and drop replication of the database.  I guess I'll just live with the entry if nothing else works.

#94521 Can't delete [Unknown] [Unknown] person

Posted by BrianRenaud on 20 July 2019 - 06:20 PM in Issues

And definitely run the Database toos to be sure your file has not been corrupted.

Thanks. I started RM, ran through each of the File->Database Tools (all four completed with no problems), exited, again started RM. The Unknown entry was still there and still won't delete.

#94520 Can't delete [Unknown] [Unknown] person

Posted by BrianRenaud on 20 July 2019 - 06:17 PM in Issues

Will it let you add a fact to the person or their name? Then see if you can delete them. 

Yes, I can add a fact to the person. But no, it will still not let me delete them. (Or more precisely, I can do the Delete, but nothing appears to happen.)

#94507 Can't delete [Unknown] [Unknown] person

Posted by BrianRenaud on 18 July 2019 - 04:10 PM in Issues

If there IS a RIN:

After selecting the [Unknown] [Unknown] record in the side bar menu

Then re-select that record in the main view (Family View would be my preference)

Edit > Delete > Person

Thanks. There is a RIN. I selected in the sidebar, then selected in main (Family) view and chose Edit->Delete->Person. However, nothing appeared to happen. No message, but the entry was still there. I also tried adding the Unknown entry as a child to myself and deleting it, but that also didn't do anything.

Does/can RM do any logging that might clarify what's happening.

#94505 Can't delete [Unknown] [Unknown] person

Posted by BrianRenaud on 18 July 2019 - 02:09 PM in Issues

After some Treeshare sessions with Ancestry, and some deleting of inadvertent duplicates, I ended up with a person [Unknown] [Unknown].

No parents, no children.

When I highlight this "person" in the name Index, they show up as a child with no entries for Father or Mother.  If I double click that child, the popup shows no facts.

I don't seem to be able to delete this "person". I've started/stopped RM7 and  run the Database Tools sequence (a few times).

Any suggestions for how I might remove this person entry?

thanks - Brian