jim.everhart@gmail.com's Content

There have been 3 items by jim.everhart@gmail.com (Search limited from 25-February 20)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#94026 Mass deletion or splitting a huge file in half

Posted by jim.everhart@gmail.com on 28 May 2019 - 04:00 PM in Discussion

I tried creating a group and included all in database. Then tried to remove all born before 1700. I get 9 and there are tons more? choices were born less than 1700?

#94025 Mass deletion or splitting a huge file in half

Posted by jim.everhart@gmail.com on 28 May 2019 - 01:32 PM in Discussion

Thanks The color coding is excellent Idea. I stumbled across a webinar on splitting a large database. My problem is the former genealogist went way overboard in English and French royalty in his own personal tree that has less than 1/10 of 1 % to do with the families of our members. We are trying to make our online tree more relevant for our members. Yes speed is a issue, The extra fluff is killing us. His family enters our area about 70 years ago. His original work has 1035 pages of problems according to Roots Magic. I never met the man, all I know is he used PAF-5 . Roots seems to be handling this file with no problems. Both FTM and Legacy balk when it hits 900,000 people.

#94022 Mass deletion or splitting a huge file in half

Posted by jim.everhart@gmail.com on 28 May 2019 - 09:49 AM in Discussion

I am working with a 1.2 million name data file that I need to either delete 300,000 names or split into 2 files. Is there a way to filter entries a date period? IE delete all prior to say a birth date of 1700. Or to prune the ancestors of a chosen person. The creator of this file died 5 years ago. It was donated to my Historical Society and the pre-1700 records are not needed by us. Manually choosing people and deleting the families one at a time is painfully slow any suggestions?