gac3rd's Content

There have been 4 items by gac3rd (Search limited from 12-November 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#92211 Event order in Narrative Descendants Report

Posted by gac3rd on 23 December 2018 - 10:53 PM in Discussion

Jerry, thanks for your response. I had no problem with the sharing working and producing a result that was at least marginally acceptable.

It was the effort involved with setting up the sharing, and the thought of having to repeat this effort from scratch for a couple of hundred marriages, that brought me to my knees. Prehaps I completely messed up, but the work needed to share a fact seemed incredible to me. And the fact that I had to start from scratch with every marriage .... And for no reason. Making sharing easy, and setting up up so it can be repeated is not that hard. This may have been my fault, but I did not see an easy way.

A complete aside: You made a remark in a different post that writing a narrative from a list of ill defined facts is a nontrivial problem. True. It is conceptually hard, but it dawned on me that it is a translation problem. It is amenable to large samples and machine learning. If the Google decided it was worth the money, and they ordered the Google translate team to tackle it, an acceptable product would be produced in short order.  Hopefully, this ability will migrate downward to us mere mortals, and someone will assign it as a sophomore project in a programming class. :)

Thanks for your efforts. Have a good solstice season.

#92192 Event order in Narrative Descendants Report

Posted by gac3rd on 21 December 2018 - 02:53 PM in Discussion

Jerry, thanks for your suggestion. I appreciate it.

It worked in placing the marriage where I wanted it, but it also left the marriage where I did not want it. I could deal with that. The thing that gave me pause was that sharing a fact was quite labor intensive.

Perhaps I missed the obvious, but to share a fact I was faced with a choice of (i) a very cumbersome search for surname, given name, or (ii) scrolling down through a list of around 6000 names. The thought of doing this for hundreds of marriages made me start looking for other possible solutions.

Don't mean to mention any forbidden words, but Family Historian 6 produced a workable report straight from the box. Not the format I might choose for myself. But it is pretty readable, and I think can be massaged into shape using Word.  I have a few tens of hours into RM over a month of use, not to mention the $30 or whatever it was, and I never managed to get to this point.

Since my basic information in on Ancestry, it makes sense to use Roots Magic to export the media files, but at this point it appears I will likely use FH to do the reports. I sure it will prove to have its share of frustrations, but at least for me at this time it seems workable.

Thanks again for the help. RM has a great forum.

#92159 Event order in Narrative Descendants Report

Posted by gac3rd on 19 December 2018 - 01:41 PM in Discussion

Complete newbie. Trying to do a narrative descendants report by using the suggestions in Jerry Bryan's excellent post.

http://forums.rootsm...ge-2#entry92079

Would like the facts to appear in chronological order, rather than some facts (ie marriage) appearing after the death of the person. I gather this is because  family facts appear after personal facts in RM reports.

http://forums.rootsmagic.com/index.php?/topic/13385-timeline-out-of-order/?hl=%2Bnarrative+%2Breport+%2Bevent+%2Border#entry62485 

In Jerry's example report, events seem to appear in chronological order.

Is there a magic work around within RM7 to make this happen? One possibility is to use, say,  MS Word to rearrange after the fact. But of course it would be much nicer to have an option to sort in chronological order, ignoring personal and family.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

#92078 Preparing an RM Descendant Narrative Report for a Family Reunion for This Year

Posted by gac3rd on 14 December 2018 - 11:19 PM in Tips and Hints

Thank you very much for this post. I am a new RM user, and my primary purpose is to generate descendant reports. So far, I have found RM to be a bit frustrating. Your format is much better than the first cuts with RM defaults. Thanks for sharing and giving me a point of departure for creating something that suits me.