eringenealogy's Content

There have been 2 items by eringenealogy (Search limited from 20-August 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#92077 Recommendations for Fixing Treeshare Issue?

Posted by eringenealogy on 14 December 2018 - 11:07 PM in Discussion

Thank you, Renee! Sounds like maybe I was overthinking this. I will give that a try. Appreciate the help. 

#92041 Recommendations for Fixing Treeshare Issue?

Posted by eringenealogy on 12 December 2018 - 10:31 PM in Discussion

I realize the syncing between RM and A.com is an ongoing topic of conversation. I understand the pros and cons and more or less how it currently works. However, I did not do my due diligence originally when I uploaded my RM tree to A.com. And now I am in a bit of a pickle, trying to figure out how to fix what I have done.

I originally uploaded my RM tree (2 of them actually) to A.com and got very excited about working in A.com. So I have made lots of changes to the A.com trees but never synced back to RM. Now I have thousands of changes that need to be synced, for which I don’t currently have the time or the patience to do manually.

I would like to keep using RM and actually would switch from what I have been doing with A.com as my primary database to using RM as my primary database and then syncing back to A.com (regularly to keep it manageable). I find some of the tools in RM very useful and unavailable with A.com.

The best way I can think to “fix” this is to disconnect the RM tree from the A.com tree and then download the A.com tree, since it now has many new people, facts, sources, etc. and add it as a new file in RM and doing the Treeshare again, essentially abandoning my old RM file.

My concern is whether I will lose any data in this process. I understand the WebHints may be “reactivated” for those hints already accepted on A.com (is my understanding correct?). I think I can live with that, but given much data will have gone from RM to A.com and back to RM, will things get even messier than they already are?

I did find that when I originally imported the trees into A.com from RM, the sources were really messed up. I have been working on cleaning on those up on the A.com tree, but it is still a work in progress. Some of the issue is surely of my own doing as I have not been consistent in how I record sources over the years. But I don’t want to either lose sources entirely or lose the clean-up I have already done.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. And sorry if this is a question that has been rehashed many times. I have read a lot about similar concerns but am having a hard time wrapping my head around the best solution (likely because there really isn’t one).

Happy Holidays!