victorengel's Content

There have been 8 items by victorengel (Search limited from 27-February 20)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#90344 People associated with place

Posted by victorengel on 29 July 2018 - 04:44 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

Really? I have to generate a report for this? Also, it looks like it works only for specific locations. Suppose I wanted to list everyone who has an event in a particular state or county. Any way to do that?

#90310 People associated with place

Posted by victorengel on 27 July 2018 - 06:17 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

Is there a way in RM to see all the people associated with a place?

#90306 Evaluating using free version - feature not reviewable?

Posted by victorengel on 27 July 2018 - 01:10 PM in Discussion

If you only fill out Section 2 with the Detail and Web Address RM cannot see it.  It needs a source in section 1 filled out. Then it can add the citation with the web address. It will appear on the Detail Text tab as a WebTag then.

The only way RM can see the Citation by itself is if the field "Other Information" is filled out. Then it will come into RM as a note. No other fields in the Citation area will come in with it. So to get those other fields you need to fill the Source out properly on Ancestry. 

Unfortuantely, I've been changing my citations on ancestry to remove the source for the display issue I previously stated. It's unfortunate that they have that issue there. It's really a pain. If I have multiple citations from the same source, on Ancestry, the display is meaningless, looking like multiple instances of the same thing. I've been advised that the simplest way to get around this is by not entering a source at all.

I was hoping RM would be able to download all my Ancestry information for a good starting point, but it looks like that is not going to be possible. I think I will continue what I was doing, which was to enter everything manually in Gramps. If I'm going to have to do manual intervention anyway, that seems like my best option.

Edit: I note that Source is NOT required on ancestry.com, so I'm not so sure you can really say that that is the way to do it "properly". Properly according to whom?

It would be great if there were an option to use the detail as the source if the source is blank.

#90305 MacOS Sierra & Update 7.2.2.0

Posted by victorengel on 27 July 2018 - 11:58 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

On the Mac menu under RootsMagic>About RootsMagic you will see version 7.0.1 (7.0.1) Copyright 2016. That is the latest CrossOver wrapper. 

On the RootsMagic menu under Help>About RootsMagic the version should be 7.5.7.0. 

Aha! So not in the Help menu (next to RootsMagic), but in the Help menu (below RootsMagic). No wonder it's confusing everyone.

Or another way: Click Help in the pixelated font, not Help in the easier-to-read font. :)

#90298 MacOS Sierra & Update 7.2.2.0

Posted by victorengel on 27 July 2018 - 09:11 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Yep. That's what I did. Fire up RootsMagic, select About RootsMagic from the RootsMagic menu at top, left right next to the Apple icon. This I just did again with same result: Version 7.0.1 (7.0.1). The download file I performed the initial installation from was downloaded 14 July, by the way. I will try uninstalling and installing again, but since my initial install was well after this thread started, I don't feel confident there will be a difference.

If I use the check for update menu item, I am told I'm using the most up-to-date version.

BTW, if I open the package contents and inspect the info.plist file (dated October 27, 2016), it has an entry with version 7.0.1. - several, actually: CFBundleGetInfoString, CFBundleShortVersionString, CFBundleVersion.

If I change the values for CFBundleShortVersionString to 7.0.3 and CFBundleVersion to 7.0.4, then when I open RM and select RM, About, it displays 7.0.3 (7.0.4), so it seems like the latest version has the wrong info.plist file.

#90297 MacOS Sierra & Update 7.2.2.0

Posted by victorengel on 27 July 2018 - 08:59 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Yep. That's what I did. Fire up RootsMagic, select About RootsMagic from the RootsMagic menu at top, left right next to the Apple icon. This I just did again with same result: Version 7.0.1 (7.0.1). The download file I performed the initial installation from was downloaded 14 July, by the way. I will try uninstalling and installing again, but since my initial install was well after this thread started, I don't feel confident there will be a difference.

If I use the check for update menu item, I am told I'm using the most up-to-date version.

#90287 MacOS Sierra & Update 7.2.2.0

Posted by victorengel on 26 July 2018 - 09:21 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

There are 2 software levels involved here. First there is the version/level that is shown when you use Get Info against the RootsMagic application in the Mac Applications folder. That is where 7.0.1 (or something like that) shows. Then there is the level displayed within RootsMagic itself once you start that application from the Application folder. This is where you should be seeing 7.2.2.0, or if you are at a lower level, you should be being prompted that a higher level is available and do you want to install it.

Is it relevant whether this is the paid or free version? I recently installed RootsMagic for the first time (maybe a couple months ago, maybe less) and am using the free version to evaluate. Today, when I fired it up, I got the message that an update was available, I followed the prompt to download and install, which it apparently did. However, going to RootsMagic, About RootsMagic displays 7.0.1. Is that because I'm using the free version?

#90286 Evaluating using free version - feature not reviewable?

Posted by victorengel on 26 July 2018 - 09:12 PM in Discussion

I'm new to Rootsmagic but have been using Ancestry for several years and have a large database there (just over 16,000 people at the moment). I'm evaluating other software, including Rootsmagic and Gramps. Gramps has a lot of features I really like, but Rootsmagic supposedly has the feature where nearly everything can be downloaded from Ancestry.com. I've tried that, and either there's a show-stopper issue, or else the item being downloaded is something that I can't find how to verify or is unavailable in the free version.

Looking through the FAQ it seems that my issue may be related to URLs in sources. Most of my sources that I'm interested in are created this way:

I edit a person in Ancestry, add the facts, then click Add Source. On the source screen, I add Detail and Web Address (which is usually a link on Norway's digital archive), then check all the relevant facts the source pertains to. I used to add Source (the #1 item), but I'd rather have the detail information display on screen when displaying the person, and that happens only if source is left blank, so that's what I do now.

Anyway, reading through the FAQ, if I'm following correctly, this sort of source gets imported into RootsMagic as a web tag. But how can I tell whether this actually happened? If export a GEDcom file from RootsMagic, these sources do not appear to be in the file. Also, I don't see a way to display them. Googling, I see information that they are available on the edit screen, which is only available in the paid version. If that's the only way to verify this data, then there's no way for me to evaluate the software without paying for it. Or is there a trial version as well as the paid version, perhaps time-limited?