Darn9999's Content

There have been 22 items by Darn9999 (Search limited from 30-October 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#92208 Free Minor Update for the Mac RootsMagic

Posted by Darn9999 on 23 December 2018 - 03:33 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

After I installed the updated version I opened a tree, selected an individual and clicked on Media to see the media assigned to that individual. My system (running Mojave 10.14.3 Beta) hung and I had to Force Quit, a small window remained on-screen notifying that the Gecko package needed to be installed and provided a link for the installation. After selecting the link the package installed and I've not seen the error since BUT I've not had much opportunity to use the system since either.

#92198 Free Minor Update for the Mac RootsMagic

Posted by Darn9999 on 22 December 2018 - 06:18 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Had the same but if you go here:

http://rootsmagic.co...d/RootsMagic-7/

the download will be the updated version. Note the previous comment - you may need to manually install wine gecko. 

#92186 Free Minor Update for the Mac RootsMagic

Posted by Darn9999 on 21 December 2018 - 10:40 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Should have added the Access violation occurs on shutdown:

Address 011152A7 in module RootsMagic.exe. Read of address 00000638

#92185 Free Minor Update for the Mac RootsMagic

Posted by Darn9999 on 21 December 2018 - 10:34 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Followed the guide and completely uninstalled the previous version before downloading the new one.

Two problems in the last five minutes:

1) Access violation

2) Wine Gecko Installer - Wine could not find a Gecko package.

The second issue occurred when I opened an individual's details and then clicked on Media Album. Now the system is non-responsive (I mean the buttons depress on screen but nothing happens) and the only way out is 'Force Quit'.

:-/

David

#91204 macOS Mojave and RM7

Posted by Darn9999 on 29 September 2018 - 05:22 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Just to be clear, the public version of Mojave gave no problems. The re-install I mentioned yesterday was to the latest Beta version.

#91200 macOS Mojave and RM7

Posted by Darn9999 on 28 September 2018 - 03:41 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

Perhaps next time I won't comment. Overnight updated to the latest beta and once again had to re-install RM7 as it was locking up :-/

#91181 macOS Mojave and RM7

Posted by Darn9999 on 27 September 2018 - 01:01 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Using it on my iMac from time to time. I'd like to say without problems but let's just say without serious problems. During the beta cycle I re-installed it twice including when I received the 'final' version of Mojave.

#91059 macOS Mojave and RM7

Posted by Darn9999 on 14 September 2018 - 05:33 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Agreed. I just wish RM developers would be more open with us.

#91055 macOS Mojave and RM7

Posted by Darn9999 on 14 September 2018 - 04:44 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Thanks, I'd forgotten how flaky RM can be, a re-install cured it.

I'm currently using Family Tree Maker in parallel with RM and I must admit that I'm enjoying the stability. That, and the continuous stonewalling about when we can expect a proper Mac version, is likely to seal my migration to FTM. I mean how hard can it be to share with your customers your planned timelines. Many other companies do it quite successfully and in the end the customer feels part of the process.

#91053 macOS Mojave and RM7

Posted by Darn9999 on 14 September 2018 - 12:00 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Mojave went to version 10.14 last night and with it the problems return. Minimise the RootsMagic application and on screen appears a small window, 2" x 1", nothing in it. Click on the Red close button and nothing happens. Return RootsMagic to full screen and its not possible to work on it. :-(

#90604 How to record a parent - help please.

Posted by Darn9999 on 10 August 2018 - 12:46 PM in Discussion

I'll take a look, thanks.

#90602 Fan Chart

Posted by Darn9999 on 10 August 2018 - 11:26 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Interesting idea. I perhaps should have said I'm on a Mac but that doesn't matter as I should have my old copy of FTM around here somewhere.

Who knows, given the stone-walling we get about the timeline for the full Mac version of RM I might be persuaded to stay with FTM.

Thanks for your suggestion.

#90600 Fan Chart

Posted by Darn9999 on 10 August 2018 - 10:50 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Hi guys,

Has anyone any recommendations for a program that will create a fan chart from RM7 data? I know there's a third party service available but what I'm looking for is something I can play with locally while my tree is developing.

Thanks,

David

#90428 How to record a parent - help please.

Posted by Darn9999 on 01 August 2018 - 11:40 AM in Discussion

Thanks guys, that clears that up for me.

#90425 How to record a parent - help please.

Posted by Darn9999 on 01 August 2018 - 11:05 AM in Discussion

Thanks for the prompt response and a good way forward.

Trying it on a test Tree I think it's just the standard field names that I'm going to have to accept e.g. Spouse, because although I mark them as unmarried it still uses the term but with all the notes and proof behind it can work.

The only thing that doesn't seem to work correctly is the Pedigree Chart. If I move forward a few generations and run a Pedigree Chart the system ignores the birth father and follows the family line through the father by adoption. Though to be honest I'm not sure which line I want it to display at the moment.

#90414 How to record a parent - help please.

Posted by Darn9999 on 01 August 2018 - 02:16 AM in Discussion

I'd really appreciate some input from users on the best way to document some information.

In 1852 a young woman gave birth to a son, the father was not named on the birth certificate which records the birth in a Poor House. Three years later she married and both took the husbands family name.

Step forward 166 years and with Y-DNA it's possible to show that the father was effectively the woman's employer. The 1851 Census shows the woman living as a servant in the household of the father who was married with a wife and two children.

Now if I map the son and his mother then add the father, Roots automatically shows the man and woman as 'Spouse' which is not correct. I can add the subsequent marriage and show the link to the son as 'Adopted' though I guess in that era it would have been an informal arrangement.

I'm sure this is not a unique scenario and I'd welcome the opportunity to know how others have mapped the situation.

David

#90402 macOS Mojave and RM7

Posted by Darn9999 on 31 July 2018 - 03:41 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

But, tonight with the release of Beta 4, RootsMagic is accessible again!

#90254 macOS Mojave and RM7

Posted by Darn9999 on 25 July 2018 - 10:21 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

p.s. from the screen 'MDI Child' the only way out has been to 'Force Quit'.

#90253 Using App to Edit

Posted by Darn9999 on 25 July 2018 - 10:20 AM in iPad / iPhone / iPod

Renee it's a lovely idea and I appreciate that your company is not a big one but at the same time you don't manage customer expectations. Five years ago the request went on the enhancement request list, the users had no visibility of when it would appear. Now you suggest waiting for a native Mac version but again give no idea about when it could be expected. Are we looking at one month, six months, a year, another five years?

RootsMagic is a great program and you've a lot of happy users, many of whom would be happy to help as beta testers in order to bring these things to market. Just give us some visibility, please.

Regards,

David

#90252 macOS Mojave and RM7

Posted by Darn9999 on 25 July 2018 - 10:12 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Unfortunately a new install does not appear to work in this instance. Having removed the old version then downloaded and installed again, first the logo appears but then the screen freezes with screen name RootsMagic 7 - [MDI Child] featuring a red circle with a white cross on it.

Guess my use of RootsMagic is over until Mojave is finalised :-(

#90233 Using App to Edit

Posted by Darn9999 on 24 July 2018 - 08:30 AM in iPad / iPhone / iPod

It's five years since this request was added to the 'enhancement request' list so I guess that means it's not going to happen and we need to consider an alternative software suite.

#90232 macOS Mojave and RM7

Posted by Darn9999 on 24 July 2018 - 08:26 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

Same problem here, used Mojave build 18A336e. Problem report sent to Apple.