patski107's Content

There have been 9 items by patski107 (Search limited from 23-August 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#93484 Removing Orphans

Posted by patski107 on 05 April 2019 - 12:01 PM in Discussion

I don't want separate trees. I need to remove/delete people and I'm trying to find the most efficient way and not have to go to each individual person and delete them. I thought there was a way in RM to select a person and their ancestors. I'll do more research.

Thanks

Pat

#93478 Removing Orphans

Posted by patski107 on 04 April 2019 - 04:21 PM in Discussion

Hi Renee,

Thanks for responding. I do all my work in Ancestry. If I go to my tree and sever the relationship between Mildred and her parents, when I sync my tree with RM it will create a separate tree for all the people who became orphans when I severed the relationship? If it creates a separate tree when I sync RM with Ancestry all of the orphans will be gone?

I thought TreeShare was the name of the sync part of RM. How does TreeShare help identify them?

Pat

#93476 Removing Orphans

Posted by patski107 on 04 April 2019 - 09:58 AM in Discussion

Ancestry is where I do the bulk of the work on my tree and then I Tree Share with RM. I recently discovered an error in my tree that is going to require a lot of deleting. If I delete the person's parents then everyone before them will become orphans. Is there an easy way in RM to then select these orphans and delete them? And, when I Tree Share again with Ancestry will they be removed?

Thank you.

Pat

#90412 Person in Roots Magic Not Found in Ancestry

Posted by patski107 on 31 July 2018 - 10:25 PM in Discussion

I am having this issue again, and I don't have any duplicates in RM. I sync my Ancestry tree and in RM I have people that it says are not in Ancestry. When I go to Ancestry the person is there. If I add the person from RM to Ancestry I end up with a duplicate in Ancestry.  I've unchecked "Only show changed people" as Renee suggested. The people don't have multiple parents which Keith suggested could be the case.

Pat

#90083 Person in Roots Magic Not Found in Ancestry

Posted by patski107 on 13 July 2018 - 04:15 PM in Discussion

Thanks!

#90080 Person in Roots Magic Not Found in Ancestry

Posted by patski107 on 13 July 2018 - 03:05 PM in Discussion

Thanks Renee, I unchecked the box and there are duplicates on RM. How they got there is beyond me because they aren't duplicated on Ancestry. If all the information is correct can't I just delete one?

Pat

Uncheck the option "Only show changed people". Then look to see if you have a duplicate in RM that is already matched to that Ancestry person. If so you need to merge the duplicate in RM outside of TreeShare.

#90071 Person in Roots Magic Not Found in Ancestry

Posted by patski107 on 12 July 2018 - 08:12 PM in Discussion

I have synced my tree in Roots Magic with my Ancestry tree. In TreeShare I go down the list of people that have changes and come across one that shows they are in Roots Magic but not Ancestry. I go to show best matches and the person isn't there. I go back to my Ancestry tree and look for the person and they ARE in my Ancestry tree. I sync again just to be sure and I get the same thing. Apparently this person was in my tree when I set it up or they wouldn't be in Roots Magic. I do all my work in Ancestry and sync with RM.

Is this a known issue?

Pat

#90022 TreeShare for Ancestry

Posted by patski107 on 08 July 2018 - 06:48 PM in Discussion

Thanks Jerry, I appreciate the reply. I'm not sure I am comfortable with a totally automated transfer, but being able to select people and do it at once would certainly speed up the process.

Pat

With the present design of TreeShare, the original transfer of data from RM to ancestry or from ancestry to RM is very automated. And with the present design of TreeShare, all subsequent transfers of data are extremely manual and labor intensive. This design was completely intentional to try to avoid massive disruptions or errors that might accompany a more automated approach to subsequent data transfer.

I personally think that a fully automated approach could be quite safe if it only went in one direction, e.g., you did all your data entry in ancestry and transferred to RM or you did all your data entry in RM and transferred to ancestry. It's hard to know how safe an automated bi-directional transfer could be if major developmental effort went into making it safe. Both the TreeShare developers and the original TreeShare beta testers seem very supportive of the current design. So it's hard to know if the design will ever change or not.

Because RM is on your computer and ancestry is on the internet, a transfer from RM to ancestry is usually called an upload and a transfer from ancestry to RM is usually called a download.

Jerry

#90010 TreeShare for Ancestry

Posted by patski107 on 08 July 2018 - 10:43 AM in Discussion

I do all of my work on Ancestry.com and I am syncing my tree with Roots Magic (v 7.5.7.0). I appreciate the list of people who have had changes, are in Ancestry but not Roots Magic or in Roots Magic and not Ancestry, but it is VERY time consuming to add each person who is new to Roots Magic individually. I have several hundred changes to work through but right now I am most interested in getting the new people uploaded to RM. There doesn't seem to be a way to sort the list so that all the new people would be together. Not only would it be helpful to be able to sort the list, but also to select the new people and Add All.

If anyone has found a fast way to upload the new people to RM please let me know.

Thanks

Pat

patski107genealogy@gmail.com

gedmatch.com kit # T338857

https://www.ancestry...e/tree/88886076