NEreswearcher's Content

There have been 38 items by NEreswearcher (Search limited from 26-October 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#98322 Photo locations

Posted by NEreswearcher on 20 October 2020 - 12:29 PM in Discussion

I have not made extensive use of images in RM7 because of its single threaded restriction, that appears to be fixed in RM8. I only use images as a primary image for an individual but I have found the fix broken links to be very useful and easy to use on my limited images.

I have a directory structure for all my "vital" sources and can open them as I need them on an additional screen at the same time I am editing my RM database. I can even cut and paste if my sources are renderable.

I hope RM will make several changed to images in V8 including allowing me to include as many images as I want with any person or fact in my database and output them in reports etc as I  want them in any and all reports that RM has. Maybe we can not do that for charts as that would become unwieldy and clutter the chart. Also if I have an image It would be nice if RM would allow me to select the image editing/display program that works best for me.

#98309 Rootstech 2021

Posted by NEreswearcher on 16 October 2020 - 11:01 AM in Discussion

I just signed up for the virtual Rootstech 2021. RM has showcased RM8 in the last two. Will RM be presenting RM 8 in this virtual conference?

#98297 Pedigree chart improvement

Posted by NEreswearcher on 14 October 2020 - 06:39 AM in Discussion

I have hesitated adding my 2c  but I have had similar issues with RM  charting and I have found a solution that works for me but outside of RM.

I have been using FamilyHistorian V6 for my charts. I get several basic benefits from FH charts that I have not found anywhere else.

1. While GEDCOM standards get in the way of  clean data transfer I have found that all the data needed for charts are transferred without  hitch.

2. I get the ability to chart everyone in my database without a restriction of how many generations away they are so I get to see third cousins if I want. I can map out all the people I want that are affecting  particular family group beyond what RM allows.

3. The output from FH charts are of a sufficient quality that I can create a JPEG or PDF file of sufficient quality that I can go to my local printer and get a chart for a fraction of the cost of going with online genealogy printers.

4. I can also modify the output of the chart in many ways, so many that I have not even researched some of the modifications yet.

5. I was also trying to map out medical history to try to correlate DNA analyzed medical conditions with actual observed medical conditions. I was able to add these items to my chart, including special fact types and associate them with symbols so that I get a nice chart showing hereditary medical issues on a nice concise chart.

Anyway this is just what I found that works for me and does not mean I am leaving RM anytime soon or ever. I have found that RM provides too many other benefits to give up.  You can get a trial version of FH at their site an use it for 30 days before purchasing. https://www.family-historian.co.uk/

#98295 Has the forum been closed?

Posted by NEreswearcher on 12 October 2020 - 03:57 PM in Discussion

I started programming in 1972 and I have not found anything better than a well attended and reactive forum like the RM site. I have tried Facebook but gave up on that since it was so unstructured that, like others, have found it is poor at providing useful information in an easily retrievable way.

I have also tried a groups.io interface with another vendor and while it does provide good information it still can not hold a candle to the RM forum format. I will try the RM group.io just to see what I may be missing.

I hope this forum never goes away since user support will suffer greatly.

#98171 DNA usage in RM7

Posted by NEreswearcher on 17 September 2020 - 09:49 AM in Discussion

Jim,

I agree that a genealogical program cannot be expected to do everything. However it would be nice if RM also supported an autosomal test as well as the Y and Mitochondrial test. What I was hoping to do was be able to tie various people together that link through DNA. I would probably share a DNA match between myself, the other match and then the common ancestor.

I may create my own fact type and place the DNA data in the note field. Perhaps as private but still contemplating that.

DNA can only go so far and then it is up to the individual to do the old fashioned research. Just linking a new person or line into mine is only the beginning. I want to know who these new people are and what their lives were like.

#98166 DNA usage in RM7

Posted by NEreswearcher on 16 September 2020 - 10:46 AM in Discussion

Up to now I have not had any reason to pursue DNA since every person's genealogy that I have viewed so far has had significantly less data than I have had.

I was wondering if I do get my DNA tested how will RM7 help me? So far I see one fact that addresses DNA but it only records DNA data for that person. That data does not show up in a narrative report, group sheets, or individual summaries. I also see no way of sharing that DNA test even if the Mitochondrial or Y test are an exact match.

How should I record DNA in RM7 and how will that help me?

#98147 RM field size/limits vs GEDCOM

Posted by NEreswearcher on 11 September 2020 - 10:12 AM in Discussion

Thanks all

I have also tested field lengths and found exactly what Jerry is saying. The long description field with no use of CONC or CONT  results in a violation of GEDCOM as Jerry points out.

I would like to make more use of the description field to put in actual data for an event that exceeds the 90 character limit. The lack of an RM restriction will cause many people problems later on. I actually would like the description field to work just like and in addition to the note field. I know this does not work well with GEDCOM but at some point the GEDCOM issues need to be addressed.

It looks like there may be no restriction on the note field size unless there is an addressing problem as we go over the 32,768 limit but I can mostly work with this limit and structure my notes making use of privacy flags to separate genealogical data from actual notes. Private information can be selected or rejected at output time so my notes will not appear in a final report.

when is 8 going to get here. Rhetorical question

#98143 RM field size/limits vs GEDCOM

Posted by NEreswearcher on 10 September 2020 - 04:27 PM in Discussion

If I confine myself just to RM I tried both of your examples; Occupation and Description.

I was able to put close to 1,000 characters in the description field as a test. RN did not object and put out the entire 1,000 in a narrative report..

I was also able to exceed the 120 characters in the place field.

I have yet to try an Gedcom export so i'm not sure yet how RM deals with the larger size fields.  I have  also tried large amounts of text in the note field with no ill effect in RM. Don't know yet what happens in GEDCOM but I would hope that RM would restrict content if needed.

My main concern is the note field and how large that can be. RN has some shortcoming on storing event data and I was thinking that structuring the note field may give me what I need

OK back to additional testing.

#98141 RM field size/limits vs GEDCOM

Posted by NEreswearcher on 10 September 2020 - 01:43 PM in Discussion

I know I have looked at this in the past but I can't seem to find the info now. Has anyone looked at all the fields that RM uses and map them to GEDCOM fields?

For instance how big is the description field and how is that exported to GEDCOM? It seems that RM will allow more data in description than the corresponding field in GEDCOM allows. That is my memory which may be compromised at this point.

Of particular interest would be all the fields that appear on any RM screen that holds user data.

Sorry if this is a redundant question since I seem to remember this from some time ago.

max Size RM      Max size Gedcom

Date:                                 ??

Place:                                ??

Place Details:                    ??

Description:                  32,768

Note:                             32,768

#98140 Need larger Pedegree chart

Posted by NEreswearcher on 10 September 2020 - 12:37 PM in Android

Renee,

Thank you. Most of the application is still usable but I will need to adjust to not having a pedigree view.

I would assume that if I have a tablet with an IOS system then I would probably use the full RM package. If I have a Surface with Windows I would also use the full application. I have tried on my phone but I have decided not to pursue that device.

#98138 Need larger Pedegree chart

Posted by NEreswearcher on 10 September 2020 - 06:55 AM in Android

John,

I have my RM database on my Samsung tablet and while it works differently from the PC version it would work very well on my research trips. I often need to look up items to verify that what I am looking at is actually the correct person.

The problem that I have is I generally like to work from a pedigree chart and the version that shows on my tablet ( 10.1 inches) is too small to read without a magnifying glass and unlike other applications on phones and tablets I can't seem to enlarge the chart. I was hoping someone would have had more experience with this application than me and show me where I am missing something and show me how to expand the pedigree chart.

#98135 Need larger Pedegree chart

Posted by NEreswearcher on 09 September 2020 - 10:29 AM in Android

I was very interested in RM7 for my Android tablet. When I downloaded and installed it the pedigree chart was pretty much unusable for my eyes. I tried to enlarge the type or display like all tablet apps seem to do to no avail with RM7.

I thought I would see if there was an update that might fix this issue and looked at the version on Amazon. My version ( a couple of years old) is 1.4 and the one on Amazon says it is 1.01. No help there.

Does anyone know if it is possible to expand the pedigree charts to make then readable?

#97892 Rootsmagic 7 and 8 Silence

Posted by NEreswearcher on 07 August 2020 - 04:45 PM in Discussion

Jerry,

I have many photos that go along with a fact like the image of a family home, image of a gravestone, a battle map for an event during the civil war, an image of the person at say 1 year, again in High school, College etc. The list goes on.

I have never intended to have RM print out my source documents as you point out they come in all varying shapes and sizes. I am working on a ways to create image output for print, keeping like sized images together for ease of printing and storage. I have been working with computers since 1972 and yet I feel more secure with printed images for long term archival to supplement my digital images. We have images that go back 400 years so I think they will last if I print correctly on archival paper and ink.

What would genealogy be without challenges.

#97887 Rootsmagic 7 and 8 Silence

Posted by NEreswearcher on 07 August 2020 - 08:10 AM in Discussion

I have been a user of TMG since it's inception in the early 90s. I was able to assign an image to any fact that I wanted and those images would be included in the output for any report that contained the data for the event.

That way I could make a much more informative and readable report.

As it is now I must output a report to an RTF and then one by one include images into the report - very time consuming. The one program that does handle images better than others is FamilyHistorian and they have a couple of enhancements that TMG did not have like having a group picture and selecting only a portion of that image to associate with a person or event.

#97884 Backup of Images

Posted by NEreswearcher on 07 August 2020 - 05:39 AM in Discussion

Jerry,

It appears that the media is OK but the images are unreadable. I still get  nice directory listing but when trying to open the TIF files they cannot be read the software just clocks and eventually times out or I have to cancel the process. I  tried opening the images with the same software which create them and they are till unreadable.Other images that I stored for my wife's genealogy appear to be OK. The CD I stored the images on is an optical format and I thought that they would be relatively safe from corruption, unlike the magnetic media we also use. I don't have a clue why these are unreadable, they were stored in a climate controlled area with no undue influences from outside sources.

My original thought was that everyone should be prepared for this kind of occurrence and have multiple copies in multiple places.

#97877 Backup of Images

Posted by NEreswearcher on 04 August 2020 - 10:42 AM in Discussion

This is just a heads up for people. I have many many backup copies of all my images so no data has been lost but I did run into a very disconcerting situation. 

In 2010 I made several backup copies of all my images to be stored in multiple locations. I wanted to use a lossless format and chose TIFF. After 10 years I wanted to verify that the images were there and perhaps I had missed an image on my online storage.

The files are now unreadable after trying multiple machines,  multiple operating systems, and multiple editing program including Photoshop CS5.

This is just a heads up that too many copies is not overkill.

The good thing is the images that I had saved for my wife are still readable. Whew

#97876 Rootsmagic 7 and 8 Silence

Posted by NEreswearcher on 04 August 2020 - 10:33 AM in Discussion

Has anyone put together a list of enhancements for RM8? There have been many demos gong back at least 1.5 years to my knowledge and it may gh=have been possible for someone to record what changes were contemplated without violating any tester agreement.

I am debating if some "capabilities" in RM7 are in fact worth it in RM8. Images are one such feature that is not very useful, in my opinion, in RM7 but if RM8 were to treat images like most of the other genealogy software programs then it would make sense for me to start using the limited capability in RM7.

#97766 Descriptive Notes

Posted by NEreswearcher on 19 July 2020 - 10:33 AM in Discussion

I am a little late to this discussion but I have had the same questions over the years. The first question you should ask and get an answer to is who should see this information, how they should see it and when.

If you are going to share your database or to leave a note to future genealogists then adding a person may be the way to go. There are some shortcomings here because you can add a person, make them the focus person and they would always come up as the first person in your display, but the information that you have for that person would probably be buried in a fact type which would require at least two mouse clicks to get to.  I would also use a unique name like Read Me A-First so that this person will sort to the top of the list. You may need to alter the “A” to some other character to get it to sort to the top of your list.

I have tried a slightly different approach when at the grandparent level I have some generic information about that particular surname, from a coat of arms to general history about the name that does not apply directly to any one person. I select the appropriate grandparent and then add an Anecdote fact (one of my own) type and place all my data in the note field and put the date before the grandparents birthdate so it will come out first. RM will give an error on this since you will have a fact before the birth which RM sees as an error. This seems to work for my purposes.

If your desire is to have generic information in a report scenario there are several options there. If you use the publisher you can build many pages for your report including a text only page which you can position wherever you want and put any test that you want. This way if you deliver a “printed’ output then your database explanation would be one of the very first pages to be presented. I have not experimented with this idea when creating a webpage but I assume that there would be a similar solution there.

I agree with Jerry’s explanation in that data moves using the GEDCOM format will probably result in potentially some lost data of some sort and that will be problematic until all the software packages get in sync and create and interpret GEDCOM the same.

#97741 New Pargraph in narrative reports.

Posted by NEreswearcher on 16 July 2020 - 09:31 AM in Discussion

I was using Notepad but I also have a hex editor that I got from Microsoft that I sometimes use. I do not ave Notepad++ but I should look into that.

I have noticed that Microsoft products in general seem to bloat their output. I have converted several word and excel documents to HTML and they go way out of their way to be a generic fit for anyone but the code is very voluminous so I understand your point about editing before MS gets their hands on the file.

I have looked at the other genealogy programs that I have and they don't do any better at formatting than RM. In one of my less lucid moments I even thought of importing back into TMG since they were very robust in this area. That would be a bad move in my opinion. Just fanciful wishing I guess.

#97737 New Pargraph in narrative reports.

Posted by NEreswearcher on 15 July 2020 - 05:12 PM in Discussion

Jerry,

I also use notepad to do some of my editing but as of now based on what I see in notepad and all the control characters I think I will do my best in RM and then work on the rest in Word. So far that has worked as well as I can expect. There are many changes that need to be completed in Word since we only get a single image exported with each person and I have many more photos to add and place so I will only do that when I am satisfied that I have done the best that I can in RM.

I have also used PersonalHistorian for some special projects that only seem to work there. I have wanted to tell a complete story of a single family and with RM I select the group of people and export that to PH and then all events are intermingled and chronological which makes telling a story of multiple people much easier.

Anyway if we wanted this to be easy we would have selected another endeavor.

#97734 New Pargraph in narrative reports.

Posted by NEreswearcher on 15 July 2020 - 01:01 PM in Discussion

Robert & Jerry,

Thank you for the suggestions.

I tried this out and I was able to get a symbol that looked like a paragraph mark into the narrative report but when looking at the resultant RTF file I see the following codes for that new symbol:  \'b6\loch\f0 

When inserting a paragraph mark in word 2010 I get this code in the file: \par

Definitely not the same and Word does not recognize the RM inserted alt-x0182 as any kind of a control sequence however it does display the paragraph symbol.

I guess the best solution at this time is to follow your advice and format my output as best I can or insert a unique code for an RM paragraph and do a global change in word. I've looked at my copy of FamilyHistorian 6 and it does not do any better at formatting output. A possible chance for RM to get ahead?

#97712 New Pargraph in narrative reports.

Posted by NEreswearcher on 14 July 2020 - 03:28 PM in Discussion

Jerry,

Some good suggestions but by your answer I assume that RM does not make a distinction between new line and a paragraph in their reports other than what I have already found so I guess I will need to adjust accordingly perhaps using some of your suggestions. It seems like it would be a simple change for RM to allow us to select which character to use and then insert the selected character as they do now with the new line.

I have not tried it but is it possible to insert a real paragraph marker into my own sentence structures?

For now I will get back to cleaning up my own data and see if RM8 makes a difference.

#97710 New Pargraph in narrative reports.

Posted by NEreswearcher on 14 July 2020 - 02:18 PM in Discussion

kbens0n,

The question was not how the data would be separated  when it comes out of RM but what control characters that it use to achieve the effect. A new paragraph ( Dec 182 ) is not a new line / line feed character ( Dec 10 or . hex A). An rtf file with a new paragraph code should be ( Dec 182) not a new line ( Dec 10). Word processors treat those two control character differently and they will not format the new line the same as a paragraph thus rendering the capabilities of a word processor useless.

Example: If you want to indent the first line of every paragraph word 2010 does not recognize what RM is putting out as a paragraph

#97708 New Pargraph in narrative reports.

Posted by NEreswearcher on 14 July 2020 - 10:47 AM in Discussion

I am attempting to clean up all my output from RM7 and I have run into a question that I thought was on the forum but I don't see it now.

When printing a narrative report I have the option of having all the facts for a person come out as a continuous stream of characters or I cn select new paragraph after each fact, etc. When saving the report to an rtf format the output seems to not be the same as the option would infer.

If I bring the rtf into a word processor (MS word) and display all the control characters I see:

(Paragraph symbol)

First Generation

(Paragraph symbol)

(Paragraph symbol)

1.  Sir Std Fact Types "Stdy" Smith Esq was born on 1 Jan 1900 at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Birth Note He was adopted on 2 Jan 1900 at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Adoption note He was christened on 3 Jan 1900 at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Christening note Stdy emigrated on 1 Jan 1904 from Poland at 50 Main St.. His destination was the USA via Germany He was educated  between 1919 and 1923 at University of Michigan, 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan  earning a BA in history. He was described as dark haried and about 150 # on 1 Jan 1920 at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Description note Stdy graduated on 1 Jun 1923 at Ysilanti University at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. He graduated MagnaCumlaude with a degree in electrical engineering He was ill on 1 Jan 1930 at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan.  early onset osteoporosis On 1 Apr 1944 he was a  ship welder at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. his extensive traing got him the job Stdy immigrated on 1 Jan 1945 to North Carolina at 50 Main St.. to take a job at Research Park He lived at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan on 1 Jan 1948. in an old historic home He owned a dutch colonial on 1 Aug 1948 at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. The property plans are listed here. Stdy retired on 1 Jan 1958 at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Retirement note He died of cardiac arrest on 2 Jan 1960 at the age of 60 at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Death Note He was cremated on 3 Jan 1960 at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Cremation Note Stdy was buried on 4 Jan 1960 at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Burial Note He signed a will on 31 Jan 1960 at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Will Note He had his estate probated on 1 Feb 1960 at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. His will was probated and left the following: Personal Note for Stdy

(Paragraph symbol)

If I select new paragraph after every fact I get:

(Paragraph symbol)

First Generation(Paragraph symbol)

(Paragraph symbol)

(Paragraph symbol)

1.  Sir Std Fact Types "Stdy" Smith Esq was born on 1 Jan 1900 at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Birth Note

He was adopted on 2 Jan 1900 at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Adoption note
(new line)
He was christened on 3 Jan 1900 at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Christening note
(new line)
Stdy emigrated on 1 Jan 1904 from Poland at 50 Main St.. His destination was the USA via Germany
(new line)
He was educated  between 1919 and 1923 at University of Michigan, 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan  earning a BA in history.
(new line)
He was described as dark haried and about 150 # on 1 Jan 1920 at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Description note
(new line)
Stdy graduated on 1 Jun 1923 at Ysilanti University at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. He graduated MagnaCumlaude with a degree in electrical engineering
(new line)
He was ill on 1 Jan 1930 at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan.  early onset osteoporosis
(new line)
On 1 Apr 1944 he was a  ship welder at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. his extensive traing got him the job
(new line)
Stdy immigrated on 1 Jan 1945 to North Carolina at 50 Main St.. to take a job at Research Park
(new line)
He lived at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan on 1 Jan 1948. in an old historic home
(new line)
He owned a dutch colonial on 1 Aug 1948 at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. The property plans are listed here.
(new line)
Stdy retired on 1 Jan 1958 at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Retirement note
(new line)
He died of cardiac arrest on 2 Jan 1960 at the age of 60 at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Death Note
(new line)
He was cremated on 3 Jan 1960 at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Cremation Note
(new line)
Stdy was buried on 4 Jan 1960 at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Burial Note
(new line)
He signed a will on 31 Jan 1960 at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Will Note
(new line)
He had his estate probated on 1 Feb 1960 at 50 Main St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. His will was probated and left the following: Personal Note for Stdy(Paragraph symbol)

(Paragraph symbol)

It appears that RM knows what a new paragraph is but uses a new line after every fact when a paragraph character after every fact was requested.

Formatting in a word processor without the Paragraph character presents many problems

Am I seeing this correctly and is there a way to fix this? 

P.S. disregard the actual names etc. as this was just a test and the control characters did not show up when copying to the forum.

#97650 Ancestry and Familysearch

Posted by NEreswearcher on 30 June 2020 - 07:15 AM in Discussion

Thanks Jim,

I checked with what I had done and i further got rid of MY Heritage. That probably was not necessary but I don't have their subscription so I don't think I a missing anything.

Thanks again.