MacRooter's Content

There have been 26 items by MacRooter (Search limited from 23-August 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#85797 Marriage Dates Not Always Displaying Correctly

Posted by MacRooter on 02 September 2017 - 07:15 AM in Issues

Rob

It sounds as though you have had more problems with your db marriages than I!  I think you may be right when you say it might be best to download your db from Ancestry again.

When I was trying to sort out my problems with incorrect marriage dates showing I also discovered a few phantom spouses.  I eventually managed to get rid of them but can't be sure exactly how I did it.  I have a feeling that I unlinked all children from the parents first, then unlinked the father(s) and mother(s) from each other before "rebuilding" the marriages and families.  Might be worth a try, if you don't want to go to the trouble of downloading your entire tree again.

I have also noticed that my marriage list has quite a few missing MRINs - presumably these relate to the marriages I had to delete to get round the erroneous display problems.  The missing MRINs do not trouble me unduly though I did wonder whether this might be corrected if I were to download my tree from Ancestry to a new db.  To be honest, I'd far sooner put up with a few missing MRINs than have to deal with people apparently marrying long before they were born.

For what it is worth, after sorting out my earlier problems I don't go anywhere near the TreeShare button until I have carried out my new marriage routine.  First, I enter the spouse and marriage fact on Ancestry and check that this has been correctly applied to both parties to the marriage.  I then add the spouse and marriage fact in RM.  Only then do I dare to use TreeShare to synchronise RM with Ancestry.  Since I adopted that procedure, I have not noticed any erroneous marriage data being displayed.  I hope I haven't spoken too soon! 

#85425 Marriage Dates Not Always Displaying Correctly

Posted by MacRooter on 20 August 2017 - 02:19 AM in Issues

Thanks very much for your replies Rob and Tom.

I have printed a marriage list and there are some incorrect entries there which I will need to sort out.  One of these is one of the marriages which was shown in Family View for a completely different couple.

Quite by chance, I discovered yesterday afternoon that the parents of an individual not affected by the marriage problem were displayed three times in the "Facts View".  I have no idea how that happened.  After unlinking the individual from his parents three times, I added the parents again and everything looked normal.  I am not sure whether/how that issue was connected to the problems I was encountering with marriages but marriages I have added since now display correctly in Family View.  Here's hoping I haven't spoken too soon...

Thanks, again, for your help.

#85414 Marriage Dates Not Always Displaying Correctly

Posted by MacRooter on 19 August 2017 - 04:59 AM in Issues

Thanks for your reply, Rob.

My issue is not entirely the same as yours though we both seem to have problems with the way RM handles marriages!

I added a spouse to an individual in my database by clicking the "Add Individual, Spouse, Child" toolbar button > Spouse > New Person.  After adding the new person's name and clicking "OK", I added the date and place of marriage as "1915" "Bermondsey, Surrey, England" then clicked "Add marriage event.  On returning to Family View, I noticed that the marriage date and place was showing as "1730 Norfolk, England".  The 1730 Norfolk marriage relates to another couple in my database, but not to the home person.

After running all four database tools and restarting RM, I repeated the process using the same spouse and marriage details.  This time, Family View displayed the marriage details as "1808 Lowestoft, Suffolk, England".  That marriage applies to yet another couple in my database but, again, not to the home person.  Unfortunately, I did not check whether any additional marriage facts had been added to those party to the 1730 and 1808 marriages.  

Like you, I use RM to synch back and forwards with Ancestry (not Family Search).  As I noticed the error, I did not carry out a synch.

I deleted the spouse and marriage details, ran all four database tools and restarted RM again.  This time I double clicked on the female to whom I wished to add the spouse and added a marriage fact.  The correct marriage details then displayed in Family View.

I am not sure whether the issue is down to the toolbar button not functioning correctly or whether it is due to the fact that I had been using RM almost non-stop for several hours (perhaps I have broken it!).

I have tried to replicate the problem this morning by using the toolbar button to add a spouse and have failed miserably.  The correct marriage details are showing in Family View.

#85406 Marriage Dates Not Always Displaying Correctly

Posted by MacRooter on 18 August 2017 - 10:03 AM in Issues

Is anybody having intermittent problems with incorrect marriage dates being shown in Family View after using the toolbar button to add a spouse?

Having successfully entered several marriages in RM today by using the toolbar button to add a spouse, I have had two instances of Family View incorrectly showing the details of marriages for other people in my database.  I have run database tools and restarted RM but the problem persists if I use the toolbar button to add a spouse.  If I add a marriage fact to one of the parties to the marriage, then add date, place and spouse that way, the marriage details are correctly displayed in Family View.

I am not sure whether the problem is actually with the toolbar button or whether it is related to my computer.  I am running RM 7.5.2.0 on Mac OS 10.11.6.

#85265 June 30 version not working on Moto G4 Play

Posted by MacRooter on 10 August 2017 - 11:42 AM in Android

I have just updated the Roots Magic app on my Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo and it is working again!

My thanks to Renee and Development for sorting this out.

#84977 TreeShare Name Sources

Posted by MacRooter on 28 July 2017 - 06:08 AM in Discussion

Thanks, TomH (and Renee).  A very useful document.

#84955 TreeShare Name Sources

Posted by MacRooter on 27 July 2017 - 12:33 PM in Discussion

Thanks, TomH.  Unfortunately, the link you provided doesn't work for me.  I keep getting a message saying that I don't have permission.

Please do not worry about it, though.  It is enough for me to know that a RM rewrite is needed!

Thanks for your help.

#84952 Redundant hints from Ancestry

Posted by MacRooter on 27 July 2017 - 08:31 AM in Issues

Rick

Yes, that looks like the best solution for now.  Let's hope that RM can come up with a solution in due course.  A function along the lines of that suggested by TomH sounds like a very good idea.

#84949 TreeShare Name Sources

Posted by MacRooter on 27 July 2017 - 07:58 AM in Discussion

Thanks, TomH.  I did search for an answer to my query before posting but could not find one.

#84943 recording unknown names?

Posted by MacRooter on 27 July 2017 - 04:06 AM in Discussion

I do similar to what Renee does.

Me too - at least until now.  I rather like zhangrau's method.

#84942 TreeShare Name Sources

Posted by MacRooter on 27 July 2017 - 04:02 AM in Discussion

When using TreeShare I have often noticed name sources on Ancestry which are not in RM.  Unfortunately, using the "update name in RM" option does not appear to work.

Apologies if this has already been reported.

#84941 Individual summaries not displaying multiple marriages correctly

Posted by MacRooter on 27 July 2017 - 03:52 AM in Discussion

Thanks very much, Jerry.  I'll give that a try if the problem arises again.  Sounds as though the method you describe would have been a lot quicker than unlinking.

#84940 Redundant hints from Ancestry

Posted by MacRooter on 27 July 2017 - 03:46 AM in Issues

Rick

I think that what you describe is the same or at least similar to the issue I have been experiencing.

I prefer to use the Ancestry website to review hints and to attach facts and sources to those in my tree on the Ancestry website as this also enables me to separately download source documents and store them in individual files on my computer.  I then use TreeShare to update my RM file.

Yesterday, after entering a few bits of information into RM, I needed to upload my tree to Ancestry again.  Shortly after doing so, like you, I started getting the Ancestry hints again.  I also thought that these were redundant given that the vast majority of my sources had come from Ancestry in the first place.  However, I decided to look at some of my ancestors' profiles on the website and discovered that the sources uploaded from RM, despite originally being from Ancestry, were shown on the site under "Other Sources" rather than under "Ancestry Sources".  I imagine that Ancestry hints depend on what, if anything, appears under "Ancestry Sources".

I am not sure whether this is something that Development can fix or whether it is for Ancestry to deal with.  Either way, I would hope that something can be done to get the Ancestry website to correctly recognise its own sources even if they do come from other programmes such as RM. 

#84938 Individual summaries not displaying multiple marriages correctly

Posted by MacRooter on 27 July 2017 - 03:18 AM in Discussion

I have not been able to find any posts about this problem so I hope I am not duplicating something which has already been reported.

I noticed yesterday that an Individual Summary for an ancestor who married twice was showing the marriages in the wrong order despite the fact that the marriages had partial dates of "1829" and "Jul 1862".  Although I cannot be certain, it may have been that I had entered the second marriage into Roots Magic first.  Is there an issue with the way in which RM sorts marriages for Individual Summaries?  All other facts appear in strict chronological order.

I eventually unlinked both spouses and all children from my ancestor.  I then added the first marriage and children again before adding the second marriage.  The individual summary then showed both marriages in the correct order.

#84823 Roots Magic 7.5.1

Posted by MacRooter on 25 July 2017 - 03:07 AM in Issues

Hi Renee

Problem solved!  I successfully upgraded RM 7.5.0.0 to 7.5.2.0 on my Mac this morning.  I achieved this through the update alert within the programme and not by downloading from the website.

Many thanks for your help with this.  Please also pass on my thanks to Development.

:)

PS  I didn't actually see your post of yesterday until after posting this.

#84740 Roots Magic 7.5.1

Posted by MacRooter on 22 July 2017 - 08:11 AM in Issues

Thank you for the tip, RobJ.  That got me to the downloads page.  Unfortunately, the 7.5.1 update still didn't work.

Fingers crossed that Support will remedy the problem in the coming days.  Meanwhile, I am just going to try and be a little more patient....and get on with some family history instead.

#84738 Roots Magic 7.5.1

Posted by MacRooter on 22 July 2017 - 07:35 AM in Issues

Thanks, Renee.  I believe I have tried that method, too, but decided to have another go - just in case.  Unfortunately, the link you have given gives a "404 File or Directory not found" error.

#84702 Roots Magic 7.5.1

Posted by MacRooter on 21 July 2017 - 04:37 AM in Issues

Thanks Renee.  I have now managed to update RM 7.5.0.0 to 7.5.1 on Windows 10.  UK settings were intact.  So far, no luck with the update on my Mac, though

#84630 Roots Magic 7.5.1

Posted by MacRooter on 17 July 2017 - 11:30 AM in Issues

Renee

Thank you very much.  I am in the UK.  Judging from comments on http://forums.rootsm...date-installed/, other UK users seem to be having the same problem.

#84629 June 30 version not working on Moto G4 Play

Posted by MacRooter on 17 July 2017 - 11:27 AM in Android

Thank you, Renee

#84627 Update 7.5.1.0 Problem showing update installed

Posted by MacRooter on 17 July 2017 - 11:24 AM in Discussion

TomH

Good thought, but that didn't work for me on Win10.  I have the same problem on my Mac

#84597 Update 7.5.1.0 Problem showing update installed

Posted by MacRooter on 17 July 2017 - 07:39 AM in Discussion

Same problem for me, too.  Alive and well...in the UK.

#84570 Version 7.5.1 -- Duplicate Sources -- How to go forward

Posted by MacRooter on 16 July 2017 - 02:40 AM in Discussion

I am relatively new to Roots Magic so am still exploring its features.  The other day, I did notice that there are options within RM to "merge" and "auto merge" sources (Lists > Source List > Automerge or Merge).  I wonder if that might be the answer to your problem.

Might be an idea to first set up a test tree with a couple of duplicate sources to see if a merge solves the problem for you.  If you decide to try this out on your main tree, don't forget to do a backup first - just in case.

#84569 Roots Magic 7.5.1

Posted by MacRooter on 16 July 2017 - 02:26 AM in Issues

Thank you for all your replies to my post.  I must admit that I am relieved to learn that I am not the only one with this problem.

I have again tried updating RM 7.5.0.0 through the update offered within the programme and also by uninstalling it and downloading and reinstalling it on my Mac.  All to no avail.  I am still well and truly stuck on version 7.5.0.0 with no sign of any of the new features which version 7.5.1 promises.

I have tried the same process on Windows 10 - again, without success.  As mjashby suggests, I think the only option open to me now is to wait for Roots Magic Support to resolve this issue.  Fingers crossed!

Thanks, again, everybody.

#84523 June 30 version not working on Moto G4 Play

Posted by MacRooter on 15 July 2017 - 06:08 AM in Android

Renee

Could you please add Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo to your list of devices?  I updated the Roots Magic App a few days ago and am also getting the "Unfortunately Roots Magic has stopped" message when I try to open the app.

Thank you.