Fleetz's Content

There have been 21 items by Fleetz (Search limited from 24-November 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#97923 Missing homepage photo on my RM website?

Posted by Fleetz on 11 August 2020 - 06:59 AM in Discussion

This problem has come up several times before. It seems to me like it's either an outright bug in the code or else it's a design flaw where the code is broken as designed. I hope that the problem is addressed sometime in the near future, like maybe about six months after RM8 is released.

Jerry

I agree Jerry. You are able to edit pretty much everything except up date the home page image from the site settings. Makes sense to allow image updates too I would have thought.

Ian

#97918 Missing homepage photo on my RM website?

Posted by Fleetz on 10 August 2020 - 04:00 PM in Discussion

Ok got to the bottom of this issue thanks to Jason from RM technical support. Posting this for others that might want to change the home page image. If you do you will need to delete the website and generate a new one with the image you want to display this time.

You can only select your home page image when you initially setup your website and not from the site setting page. Seems somewhat strange you can edit everything else from the site settings pages apart from changing the image for the home page?

What started all this palaver was my home page image disappeared. Gone for no apparent reason. So I went to add it back in. The image wasn’t in my online website for for days indeed during the times I have been posting. I was just about to delete the website and generate it again from new and the original image reappeared!

#97914 Missing homepage photo on my RM website?

Posted by Fleetz on 10 August 2020 - 02:26 PM in Discussion

I have checked out the only video I could find on the RM website about online publishing and found where there is reference to I inserting a homepage photo. It relates to RM6 and I am using RM7 but fundamentally its the same page only the Picture for home page with the browse button to enable navigation to the desired image is missing on my RM7?

Surely I can not be the only RM7 user that has the Picture for home page input field missing?

#97912 Missing homepage photo on my RM website?

Posted by Fleetz on 09 August 2020 - 05:15 PM in Discussion

What I can not seem to work out is from the Site Settings>Homepage there is check box against "Display photo before introduction" but no where that I can see where you can upload the photo you want to appear on the homepage???

#97911 Ancestry and Familysearch

Posted by Fleetz on 09 August 2020 - 04:24 PM in Discussion

Thanks Jerry.

The reason I ask a tree I have at Ancestry seems to expand by itself? In fact I am convinced of it as there are photos of ancestors that I have only ever stored in RM that now appear in Ancestry. There appears to be some harvesting in web hints going on?

I have never filled my Ancestry login details in RM and I only have web hints enabled?

#97908 Ancestry and Familysearch

Posted by Fleetz on 09 August 2020 - 12:56 PM in Discussion

I have internet sharing with Family Search and Ancestry off i.e not supplied login details.

I however have enabled web hints with Family Search, Ancestry and My Heritage. Is there any RM family data captured, stored and used by these in the companies when you select web hints?

#97898 Missing homepage photo on my RM website?

Posted by Fleetz on 08 August 2020 - 11:56 PM in Discussion

I have for last few years had a photo of my GGGrandfather on my RM web hosted family website home page. I just updated a bunch on new data and uploaded that to my family RM website and like I usually do I connect to the websites URL, login and check everything is OK. 

Well this check in time the GGG photo on the home page has disappeared and for the life of me I can not see where I am able to insert the photo? Its been a couple of years since I set the website up and its been fine but I can not for the life of me work out where the photo disappeared to and more importantly how to put it back??

I have not done any editing on the setting page and can not see where you can up load the photo for the home page. My grey cells are hurting trying to figure out how to get the photo back. I am just spinning my old wheels.

Can anyone turn on that light bulb for me?

Cheers,

Ian

#97831 Copying persons entry details?

Posted by Fleetz on 30 July 2020 - 06:27 PM in Discussion

Thank you all for heading me in the right direction.

The power of RM7 never ceases to amaze me!. :)

#97822 Copying persons entry details?

Posted by Fleetz on 29 July 2020 - 11:08 PM in Discussion

RM doesn't support it the way you describe. The best you could do would be to drag and drop the person from one database to the other after the first data entry. There would then be two copies of the person in the second database, and you could manually merge the two people. A certain amount of cleanup would be required, but it *might* be a bit easier than complete duplication of the data entry.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,

Definitely have to be careful how you use this drag and drop. Thank god for backups! Only now drag a person who does not exist in the other database and then link them to the appropriate field. Saves a bit of typing.

Cheers,

Ian

#97820 Copying persons entry details?

Posted by Fleetz on 29 July 2020 - 05:29 PM in Discussion

Don't believe this possible but not going to die wondering.

I am running two databases at the moment with some overlap of ancestors which I want both to reflect these overlap changes. At the moment I enter all the details b., bap., m., d., bur., and any associated notes for a person in one database and then have to retype and or cut,copy and paste from the entered database to the other one.

What would be really nice is if you could copy the data/notes etc from the manually entered person and paste that into the other database?

Is this at all possible?

#97596 Bloodline missing?

Posted by Fleetz on 20 June 2020 - 07:44 PM in Discussion

Thanks for turning the light bulb on. I must have chosen the do all function from my GGX13 Grandfather after I entered 99% of my ancestors back in 2017 so didn't recall doing them all individually. Must have selected color all ancestors and descendants when I initially set the colors otherwise I would have remembered doing it nearly 200 times.

For those like me who gets stumped go;

Highlight the person you wish to color

Go to tools

Select > Color Code People

Select > Desired color (clear color if that is what you want to happen, returns text to black)

Select > What you want to happen under the "For These People" color all ancestors, descendant or individuals from the person highlighted

Thanks again for  breaking the loop I was getting dizzy going around in circles...

#97589 Bloodline missing?

Posted by Fleetz on 20 June 2020 - 01:24 AM in Discussion

Bit of frustration I have just entered a 1st cousin twice removed linked him to parents and the blood line name color indicator doesn't show the blood line color indicator? I have another 1st cousin twice removed linked to the same parents and the blood line indicator shows no problem.

Been tearing my hair out for an hour looking for what I may have done different and can not see anything other that the entries are identical apart from the names. If I check the relationship calculator it confirms 1st cousin twice removed for both entries so the bloodline is connected but the indicator only show one is connected?

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Ian

#97584 Linking an adopted child to family member?

Posted by Fleetz on 18 June 2020 - 12:44 PM in Discussion

Hi Jerry,

Wisdom right there. Genealogy follows blood lines, family history records all family history adoption and foster care. I am definitely in the family history camp. Very important to tell those who don’t have blood line that they are important family members inclusive rather than exclusive. You have steered me through with clarity, thank you.

Regards,

Ian

#97578 Linking an adopted child to family member?

Posted by Fleetz on 18 June 2020 - 07:01 AM in Discussion

Thank you Jerry for your through and detailed reply all understood and if fact in your reply you answers questions I hadnt even thought about but will make entering the details a breeze.

The only Information I dont have is the fathers name of the adopted child, NULL is listed on the birth certificate. So he will be left blank I have the childs mothers name and original birth name and the adopted surname name give by my Great Grand Aunt which he kept for the rest of his life.

I wonder how one treats the recording of adopted members? Obviously the blood line is not there but the family name does and a strong connection through the actions of my Great Grand Aunt adopting him. She was 62 yo when she adopted him at aged 2 and at age 70 handed him back, I can only surmise age and possibly health lead to her having to hand him back so he had the appropriate care. My Great Grand Aunt was a spinster all her life.

I personally feel that even though adopted and the bloodline is not connected I should record his marriage and subsequent child and grandchildren in our history. I know it is my choice just wondering if there is right and wrong way in which our adopted relative is seen?

Thanks again for your detailed reply.

Regards,

Ian

#97576 Linking an adopted child to family member?

Posted by Fleetz on 17 June 2020 - 08:37 PM in Discussion

Hi All,

I have a Great Grand Aunt who adopted a child at the age of 2 and his name changed to our family name at the time of adoption (1914). I have recorded the adopted child in RM and recorded he was adopted but can not see how I can link my Great Grand Aunt back to the adopted child. 

In the adopted child record I can see "Parent" listed in a drop down menu arrangement but it goes no where and doesn't allow for any input. I am want to link the adopted child to my Great Grand Aunt but can not see how this can be done?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ian

#96944 How do I record a father who is disowned?

Posted by Fleetz on 06 April 2020 - 01:37 PM in Discussion

Jerry,

You make many good points.

I agree it’s easier to deal with these in written form than the locked down structure of an online database like RM. Not being critical of RM, it’s brilliant.

Maybe our discussions here might get picked up by the good folks at RM? End of the day what you, I and others have raised real world situations that RM does quite cover albeit they are very much the exception than the rule.

#96941 How do I record a father who is disowned?

Posted by Fleetz on 06 April 2020 - 06:19 AM in Discussion

Respect your point of view.

Unknown” I felt has connotations and felt “Private” was more respectful. End of the day neither will bring the father’s name forward which is my distant cousin’s prerogative. She was comfortable with “Private”.

I have listed her in citations against this particular entry so family members are going to be clear it is not for discussion. Unknown may have a family member coming forward with a name which frankly out of respect of my cousin I prefer not to know. Private infers case closed.

#96936 How do I record a father who is disowned?

Posted by Fleetz on 04 April 2020 - 09:51 PM in Discussion

In my situation my relative and indeed her eldest son made it very clear the father is not to be named, nor was I going to be given his name. He has for whatever reason been completely disowned. I fully respect their rights not to disclose.

My cousin a few times removed actual kept here maiden name and her son surname is as it should be in this case our family name. I have respected their right not to name the father. I have therefore named her son’s father name as “Private” and left it at that.

Been able to fill in many other family members from the contact which were willingly provided.

#96730 How do I record a father who is disowned?

Posted by Fleetz on 10 March 2020 - 03:50 PM in Discussion

I have been reaching out to family who I discovered through my research for them if interested to provide detail of their family and relatives where the trial of information was non existent.

I have just received some information from one such of our family where all the details basically have disowned the father and all members of our family side have reverted back to our family name. How do I respect and record this?

A distant cousin married a man whom I have his name however for whatever reason his wife (my cousin) and her family disowned him. All records provided have are in the our family name, here children and grandchildren bare our family name. I have no doubt that at some point after the divorce she has had her name changed back to her maiden name.

I recall my conversation with her son where it was painfully obvious a bitter and nasty separation occurred many years back. Was obvious they do not want to discuss the reasons why which I fully respect.

So now I have these relatives that only wish to be recorded by my cousins maiden name our family name. How does Rootsmagic indeed does Rootsmagic accomodate this situation?

#96639 RM7 program locking up after upgrade and using Family Search?

Posted by Fleetz on 25 February 2020 - 09:33 PM in Discussion

It gets worse Family Search appears to be a red herring, just trying to close the program down after skipping the back up freezes RM7. 

Is there any way I can roll back RM7 versions? 

INteresting when I close the program from Task Manager it shows the program as 32 bit, my laptop is 64.....not sure if there is a connection?

Anyway RM7 is now unuseable.....

#96638 RM7 program locking up after upgrade and using Family Search?

Posted by Fleetz on 25 February 2020 - 07:38 PM in Discussion

Hi,

Anyone else having program locking up after upgrading to 7.6.3.0 when using the Family Search function?

Just upgraded RM7 and for the first time tried to start using the Family Search interface from within RM. After I put my Family Search login details and go back to start using the Family Search feature it locks up the program and only recovery is CTL, ALT, Delete and end program from Task Manager.

RM7 7.6.3.0 works fine unless I login to Family Search from within RM. 

Anyone having the same issue?

Cheers,

Ian