Fleetz's Content

There have been 62 items by Fleetz (Search limited from 05-December 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#86753 MyRootsMagic URL something screwy?

Posted by Fleetz on 09 November 2017 - 02:04 PM in Discussion

Thanks Renee that link works fine.

I will use this URL instead of the "myrootsmagic" one in future.

#86722 MyRootsMagic URL something screwy?

Posted by Fleetz on 08 November 2017 - 02:08 PM in Discussion

The URL is http://sites.rootsmagic.com/FleetwoodHistory/ for a Publish Online site in RM7.  The URL changed between RM6 & 7 sites.

To add further confusion Renee if you follow the link you show above I get;

Not Found

The requested URL /FleetwoodHistory/site/Â was not found on this server.

Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu) Server at sites.rootsmagic.com Port 80

#86707 MyRootsMagic URL something screwy?

Posted by Fleetz on 06 November 2017 - 03:51 PM in Discussion

I just used myrootsmagic.com/FleetwoodHistory using google chrome and safari on my iPad and it works fine.

Likewise if I use sites.rootmagic.com/FleetwoodHistory both browsers work fine.

I have two laptops one doesn't like myrootsmagic URL the othe likes either URL's

#86705 MyRootsMagic URL something screwy?

Posted by Fleetz on 06 November 2017 - 03:40 PM in Discussion

Now that has me confused.

I have been using myrootsmagic.com/FleetwoodHistory and on some devices this URL works fine on others you get the error message?

I have noticed on the devices the above URL works on it changes the URL to sites.rootsmagic.com/FleetwoodHistory.

Renee to be clear are you saying the sites.rootmagic.com/FleetwoodHistory will work on all devices? IOS, PC, MAC?

I have only ever used RM7.

Regards,

Fleetz

#86669 MyRootsMagic URL something screwy?

Posted by Fleetz on 04 November 2017 - 01:51 AM in Discussion

I do not use that function, but, when you had problems a previous time your URL supposedly used myrootsmagic.com (not just rootsmagic.com)

http://forums.rootsm...nvalid/?p=84562

Thanks Kevin,

I vaguely thought I had visited this before. Could not find anything in a search (obviously not good at that).....

Yet another seniors moment. (blush)

All sorted.....

Regards,

Fleetz

#86665 MyRootsMagic URL something screwy?

Posted by Fleetz on 03 November 2017 - 08:15 PM in Discussion

I have published my database using the RM Publish Online facility.

My understanding is that all I need as a URL is rootsmagic.com/"name created for the online publishing" whenever I put this URL in I get 

Server Error
404 - File or directory not found. The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Yet when I put in sites.rootmagic.com/"name created for the online publishing" it connects to the online database without any issue, enter the password and all good access is approved.

My actual online database name which is password protected is FleetwoodHistory I wonder if members here get the above server error message when trying what I believe is meant to be the correct URL of rootsmagic.com/FleetwoodHistory or the password prompt?

Any thought or suggestions welcome.

Thanks and regards,

Fleetz

#84937 Deleting unknown spouse?

Posted by Fleetz on 27 July 2017 - 01:31 AM in Discussion

Feedback for those like me finds themselves with an extra spouse that won't delete.

I unlinked all the siblings from James and the correct spouse. Once I did that and went back and selected James again in family view the siblings were still which was from the first incorrect spouse so I unlinked them. I then unlinked the correct spouse to be sure and then linked her back up again with James.

Then with James showing only one spouse being the correct one I added all the siblings back and now all is good with the world.

Thanks for all your input and assistance.

Ian

#84935 Deleting unknown spouse?

Posted by Fleetz on 27 July 2017 - 12:10 AM in Discussion

I can confirm the "clean phantom records" does not work.

Looks like I am going to have to delete and rebuild this part of the database.

#84929 Deleting unknown spouse?

Posted by Fleetz on 26 July 2017 - 07:31 PM in Discussion

Definitely need to fix this now seeing duplicate siblings for James the father, the incorrect spouse is not visible nor is the correct spouse when viewing the online publishing.

I will give clean phantom records failing which I will delete James and his correct spouse from the database having first unlinked all their siblings then re-enter all their details and relink their siblings. Hopefully that will sort it out.

#84922 Deleting unknown spouse?

Posted by Fleetz on 26 July 2017 - 04:47 PM in Discussion

If you have a new father to add you should be able to click on the unknown father and add them in that spot, then add the children to the couple.

Hi Renee,

Thanks.

No the father was known and in the database first, then the spouses added. Do I need to unlink all the siblings from the correct spouse then delete the father and added spouse and re-enter them or will a clean phantom from the tools menu fix it?

Regards,

Ian

#84918 recording unknown names?

Posted by Fleetz on 26 July 2017 - 03:42 PM in Discussion

Thanks Folks,

So there is no right or wrong way just your preferred way. I like that. There are options just what you prefer the best.

Appreciate all the different ways of recoding the missing spouse. I am recording unknown as either [Unknown] or [my family name] depending on the couple. I have 10 females and 4 males thus far recorded this way.

It certainly tidies up the database and is an easy flag to see who is missing complete records. All suggestion would work well thou.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Regards,

Ian

#84917 Deleting unknown spouse?

Posted by Fleetz on 26 July 2017 - 03:27 PM in Discussion

Hi Renee,

Yes there were siblings but I disconnected the children from the father but only after I had deleted the incorrect spouse. This is probably where I have come unstruck.

I am still understanding how RM program "thinks". It makes sense now to have disconnected the parents first, deleted the spouse, then add the correct spouse and then link the children to the correct parents.

On my iPad ATM won't get to PC till later today, will "Clean Phantom Records" sort this out or will I need to do something else to tidy this up?

Regards,

Ian

#84878 Deleting unknown spouse?

Posted by Fleetz on 25 July 2017 - 10:55 PM in Discussion

I have just found I put the wrong spouse against a family member so I deleted her. She is not part of our family tree. When I pull up the record of the name I associated this deleted spouse with to it shows that he has has 2 spouses with the second one being unknown.

I have been trying to delete the second unknown spouse to no avail? There doesn't appear to be any blank names in the database list so I am wondering how I can delete the blank spouse record?

The original spouse I deleted no longer appears on in the database....

Ian

#84877 recording unknown names?

Posted by Fleetz on 25 July 2017 - 10:48 PM in Discussion

When I have an unknown surname for a SPOUSE I enter a placeholder-style surname.

For example, if Johnny B. Goode is married Suzie M. (no known surname), I enter her display name as Suzie M. [Goode]

The use of square brackets is a clear indicator that more research is needed. The placement of the spouse's surname within the brackets gives an indication of relationship, and prevents an increasingly large number of [Unknown] surnames.

I also use the square brackets for privatized given names, as in [Living] or [Unknown] or [Private].

Thank you!

#84875 recording unknown names?

Posted by Fleetz on 25 July 2017 - 10:05 PM in Discussion

I have about 14 predominately last names that are unknown in my database. Should I record "unknown" in the surname field or leave it blank? Is the a protocol I should be following?

Thanks,

Ian 

#84636 Tree name invalid?

Posted by Fleetz on 17 July 2017 - 12:27 PM in Discussion

It should upload a compressed image as long as it was added with the file type Image in RM.  If you have republished the website and you now have really tiny images its best to delete the website and add it again. You can reuse the the website name. Just make sure its completely deleted first.

Thanks Renee......much appreciated.

#84626 Tree name invalid?

Posted by Fleetz on 17 July 2017 - 11:24 AM in Discussion

Cheers Renee

Lastly on the publishing online is there anyway I can change to picture and or where RM Publisher online looks for where it is located? When I setup the publish online I pointed to photo however RM doesn't like probably the file format or size or something as it just shows up as a very small what looks like a broken picture as it tries to load the image.

So I would like to firstly confirm what type of image RM is happy to load and then be able to re-point to where to look for it. I have scratched around trying find where the image pointer is in the online Publisher but for the life of me can't find it??

Regards,

Ian

#84566 What have I done - Pedigree view?

Posted by Fleetz on 15 July 2017 - 09:22 PM in Discussion

Sorry think I have it sorted. This morning was the first time I was able to review the database as apposed to the last 10 odd days of just banging chronological data in. When you are doing the data entry the pedigree view is following the data being entered so I was able to navigate easily because I wasn't going backward and forward. Rather just incrementing relatives as I went.

So now I am reviewing if I selected the next in line in my side of the family i can navigate from youngest to oldest and visa versa. I suppose my learning curve is back on the rise as I go from inputting to reporting. 

The journey continues... :)  

#84564 What have I done - Pedigree view?

Posted by Fleetz on 15 July 2017 - 08:40 PM in Discussion

I am at a loose end to work out what I might have done. I can no longer navigate from one end of the pedigree view to the other? If I start at the oldest descendant and start to navigate to the youngest I always seem to hit a branch that runs out. The red arrow that allows you to navigate therefore disappears and I can not seem to set the family line that goes from the youngest to the oldest or oldest to the youngest descendants? RM seems to chose a line that runs out.

I can navigate through from youngest to oldest and visa versa using the family view. All the people are in the database. I suspect it is a setting however I can not see the forest for the trees at the moment. 

Hope someone might be able to throw some light on where I have come unstuck?

Regards,

Ian

#84562 Tree name invalid?

Posted by Fleetz on 15 July 2017 - 06:55 PM in Discussion

Ok finally finished the long haul of putting in the family database into RM7. Overall a good experience. How looking at the publishing online.

Thanks for the "no spaces" this was the cause it would not upload and publish. Any after it uploaded I got a confirmation window pop up with the URL. Put the provided URL in (http://myrootsmagic.com/mychosenname) but continually got a 403 Forbidden Access denied from my browser. So I went back in to RM online to see if there were any settings or something I might be able to do to correct this. Anyway whilst there there is a little magnifying glass that is "view this website" so I click on this and it opens up the online website OK however the URL it put is sites.rootsmagic.com/mychosenname

The other thing is it doesn't publish the photo I pointed to, is there any particular format it must have and or file size?

Lastly i was lead to believe that there was a basic security level that enables selected access with a password, I can't seem to find anything like that. Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Ian 

#84371 PDF wall chart

Posted by Fleetz on 11 July 2017 - 11:06 AM in Discussion

Anyone using Charting Companion from Progeny to create their large printed charts?

Looks like an interesting addition to compliment RM and extends the charting options considerably. Still looks to be compatible with RM7.

Interesting is a video that Bruce did on CC he mentions that it was an available program to buy via RM from the "other" in the online shop. Doesn't appear to there now?

Progeny states that it is compatible from RM 4.0 upward. Just wondering why CC doesn't seem to be mention in this thread a an option for printing large wall charts via PDF?

Ian

#84369 Names not appearing in left hand pane?

Posted by Fleetz on 11 July 2017 - 10:11 AM in Discussion

I was hoping you could see a pattern. With a pattern we could figure out why this is happening. I know we have all seen this at times and it is annoying. The index simply doesn't refresh and rebuild indexes fixes it. If  you can spot something that can be repeated it will help us narrow this down.

I will keep and eye out to see if I can find any pattern. It definitely is random as I am seeing at the moment. I have about a hundred names I am putting in today and tomorrow so I will see if there is anything that is repeatable. These types of issue are frustrating from both user and programmers perspective. Knowing that you folks at RM are keen to get on top of it once you know what the cause is, is very reassuring.

I have only been using the program for one week. The first day or so was very much about getting my head around the program, the folks here on the forum have been very helpful so nice to have a community supporting your product as they do. That said apart from what I have reported which I have been able to work around the inputting of data once you get your head around the program is very good. I have I putted 250 odd people and supporting data in the last 3 or 4 days. It helped that I have a well constructed database which I have created in Microsoft Publisher so it was more about data entry rather than research. Just keep banging the known data in.

What I have found and the beauty of RM as being a structured program is that as much I have spent time creating a database manually on a good number of occasions I have missed in my manual database from finding out maybe a place of birth, or a date which would head me off to do a mini research to get that missing bit of info that RM was asking if you had. So I am definitely making a tighter more complete and without any doubt a more manageable database as I migrate from my manual to automated with RM.

When I set out 6 months ago I thought I might finish up with 4 or 5 A4 pages of names and data. Upto 25 now and counting. So time to migrate, well past time but the manual way has been an interesting journey.

Sorry to bore you with all that. Just wanted to let you know in spite of a few minor issues I am very impressed with my experience with RM todate.

Will start getting more into the output side next week, the iOS app, online publishing and hard copy printing charts and reports. So no doubt more questions coming the forums way. Thanks again for all the assistance to date, it is appreciated.

Ian

#84349 Names not appearing in left hand pane?

Posted by Fleetz on 11 July 2017 - 02:32 AM in Discussion

Hi Renee,

it does seem to matter where I am adding the person in they don't appear in the in the sidebar. I have been entering some details either in pedigree mode and right click then "Add" or in family mode. Doesn't seem to matter the new names don't appear in the sidebar.  If I rebuild the index they appear. If I close RM and reopen the names appear. If I look at a relative that is associated with the person that is missing they are there and I can edit them. 

I had been selecting a known associate person in timeline and am able to see the person and edit that "missing" person. They are not missing as such they obviously are in  the database just not in the sidebar after entering a new person.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Ian

I should add Renee that it doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes the names will appear in the sidebar. However my experience is more often than not they don't appear.

#84348 Names not appearing in left hand pane?

Posted by Fleetz on 11 July 2017 - 02:26 AM in Discussion

How are you adding the person?  That could tell us in what area we need to focus. I know with TreeShare it should be adding them to the sidebar. It was working during beta testing at least. What you might need instead is to rebuild your indexes. Go to File>Database Tools and run all options there in consecutive order. The Rebuild Indexes tool is what you need, but its good to run all periodically. Skip the Compact File tool if you haven't done a fresh restart before running the database tools. 

Hi Renee,

it does seem to matter where I am adding the person in they don't appear in the in the sidebar. I have been entering some details either in pedigree mode and right click then "Add" or in family mode. Doesn't seem to matter the new names don't appear in the sidebar.  If I rebuild the index they appear. If I close RM and reopen the names appear. If I look at a relative that is associated with the person that is missing they are there and I can edit them. 

I had been selecting a known associate person in timeline and am able to see the person and edit that "missing" person. They are not missing as such they obviously are in  the database just not in the sidebar after entering a new person.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Ian

#84288 Font type and size in notes?

Posted by Fleetz on 09 July 2017 - 03:47 PM in Discussion

Thanks folks for the input into outputting report fonts and sizes and their relationship within a GEDCOM file.

I will hop fully start playing around with reports and PDF outputs sometime this week as I complete inputting the family database from my cumbersome Microsoft Publisher database to RM7. Managing all those ancestors around for 6 months solid in Publisher has been a journey in itself. Put in, edit, shift one word and reformat the text.

Spent a week solid so far transferring the data which has also included the RM7 learning curve. Still have probably another 150-200 ancestors to put in and then more to learn then on the reporting and output to print outcomes. Already been in touch with a British company that offers a GEDCOM to PDF service. You have probably seen me asking some questions on the forum about PDF, reports, charts, GEDCOM so I thank you all for furthering my knowledge.

Also been in touch with my local printing shops to find out what they require from me to print a large graphical plot.

So no doubt I will have some more questions coming up from you experienced folks on how best to get the best reports outcome. So I hope you don't mind some more questions coming the forums way.

Thanks for your assistance it has been much appreciated.

Regards,

Ian