Holly Kilpatrick's Content

There have been 14 items by Holly Kilpatrick (Search limited from 11-April 20)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#83000 question about alternate names in sentence templates

Posted by Holly Kilpatrick on 08 April 2017 - 08:02 PM in Discussion

I haven't yet tried the SQL script above, I've been off down many other rabbit holes.  But I am quite frustrated by the inability of RM to use the woman's married name when she is married.  I am finding my users get really confused (and sometimes I do also).  It is not only with death and burial events, but also directory listings, and census events that say "in the household of " and give her maiden name, even though she is a 65 year old widow with 10 children, even though her obituary is in her married name.  It causes viewers on the website to scroll up and down, trying to figure out if they got on the wrong page by mistake or what.  To make it more confusing, manually typed text, such as newspaper articles, obituaries, etc, of course use the married name.  So from event to event, the woman's last name keeps flipping back and forth.  

If I had a wishlist for RM, my very first item on the list would be the ability to put a flag on each event, "use married name" if desired.  Then I could check that flag for every event that happened after she was married.  

#82877 Gedcom missing a marriage

Posted by Holly Kilpatrick on 27 March 2017 - 01:41 PM in Discussion

I finally figured it out.  The clue was the privacy settings in the GEDCOM.  In the Gedcom the only thing I change is Privatize Living People, Don't print Facts. These two husbands, although they were long dead, did not have birth or death and were still marked living.  So I unchecked that, and voila!  The other marriages appeared.

Thanks so much!

Holly

#82867 Gedcom missing a marriage

Posted by Holly Kilpatrick on 27 March 2017 - 09:51 AM in Discussion

Does anyone have an idea of why one of two marriages for a woman would not get exported into the Gedcom?  This is not happening to everyone, but I have found it with two different women.  In both cases, both the husbands are definitely included in the Named Group being exported.  I can't find a common denominator to give me a clue why these marriage events are not exporting.  Help!!

Holly

#82630 question about alternate names in sentence templates

Posted by Holly Kilpatrick on 27 February 2017 - 06:56 PM in Discussion

The "Like" feature is disabled.

I created a SQLite script that may suit your purpose. It's at Names - married name in death sentences

Tom, this looks like I may be able to use this script.  I will try it on a copy of my database.  Thanks!

Holly

#82611 question about alternate names in sentence templates

Posted by Holly Kilpatrick on 25 February 2017 - 12:09 PM in Discussion

Jerry and Tom, I tried to click Like on both your answers but for some reason it said I have reached my quota of positive votes for the day  :mellow:   Since I haven't voted today (or maybe ever) I guess my quota is zero.

I don't remember how TMG made that happen.  It would be nice if there were an option to use a variable [MarriedName] in the sentence, and for a husband it would have no impact.  Then there might be a handful of weird circumstances that needed cleanup.

Jerry, I can appreciate that from a genealogical point of view, there is a good case for sticking with the maiden name.  Some societies do/have done that also.  But for the general reader, it is confusing.

For now, I added a line in my "Using this Database" section to explain what to expect.

#82606 question about alternate names in sentence templates

Posted by Holly Kilpatrick on 24 February 2017 - 07:41 PM in Discussion

I am another recent RM adopter from TMG.  I love RM in most ways.  But I have been trying to search this topic about making the sentence use the married name of the wife for death and burial sentences.  Is it still the case that -- say the wife is named Laura Mason, she marries Pratt, at death I want her sentence to say "Laura Pratt died" and "Laura Pratt was buried"  -- the only way I can do this is to customize the sentence and manually type it in?  Manually go correct very single  wife in the database, to make the sentences correct?  Or has some alternative been provided?

#82172 Description Window

Posted by Holly Kilpatrick on 17 January 2017 - 07:23 PM in Discussion

I just checked for some long descriptions, and I see one that exported into the Gedcom that is 361 characters.  So it must be more than 250 but I won't try to push it.

#82171 Description Window

Posted by Holly Kilpatrick on 17 January 2017 - 07:11 PM in Discussion

Thanks, Renee.  I was trying to use Desc where possible because it is explicitly included in Sentences, but it seems that the Note, if any, is always appended anyway.  So I will just use Note more.  And I will double check any long Descriptions for truncation in my Gedcoms for Gedsite.  

I understand the rationale, not to encourage long entries.

Yes, Jerry, I use Notepad a lot also, very convenient.  

Thanks!

Holly

#82162 Description Window

Posted by Holly Kilpatrick on 17 January 2017 - 01:30 PM in Discussion

Is there a way in RootsMagic to open the Description field in a little window for editing, the way the Notes window opens with Ctrl/N ?  

With a long description text, it is hard to review it, or to get to a specific part of it to copy and paste, in the one-line field.

Thank you,

Holly

#81850 Question on Customized fact sentences

Posted by Holly Kilpatrick on 23 December 2016 - 06:05 PM in Discussion

Tom, thank you so much, that was very helpful.  I was able to get a list with that script.  Haven't checked it yet, but it looks like all the expected culprits, so I think it is what I need.

Holly

#81835 Question on Customized fact sentences

Posted by Holly Kilpatrick on 23 December 2016 - 12:01 PM in Discussion

Is there some view in RM, or some query in SQLite Expert where I can list Person, Facttype where the sentence for that Person/Facttype is a local customization?

I am cleaning up TMG data, and it seems like the direct import brings in all my Facttypes (Tags) and their sentence templates, and when the sentence has a local customization at the person level, the customization is there.  I am trying to find a way to identify those records with local customized sentences, without checking every one manually.

Thanks,

Holly

#81776 Long text in fields

Posted by Holly Kilpatrick on 20 December 2016 - 02:24 PM in Discussion

IN Any Source template,

Citation Manager...

<snip>

I know each of us work differently, but this is my procedure.. I did not answer the lenght of the fields, but when I split actual research and my comments into the two sections.  Then I had enough room.  Tom H  is probably right on the size.... :P

Hi, Nettie,

I was talking about the fields in the source template, rather than the individual citation for an individual.  But I am just learning RM, and I looked up the screens and tabs you are talking about, and it was helpful to see all the options.  At this point, it will be a while before I am entering research in RM -- I have some work to do just to get my TMG data over there.  But I am excited about learning RootsMagic, it really seems excellent.  After so many years of using TMG, and there is a certain feeling among TMG users that other software programs were somehow "lesser", but I am not seeing that at all with RootsMagic!  I am loving what I am seeing.

Holly

#81770 Long text in fields

Posted by Holly Kilpatrick on 19 December 2016 - 06:36 PM in Discussion

Right now I am looking at Sources -- fields on the Master Source list in TMG.  Since I had customized sources, I am grabbing text from fields that aren't on the Source Template, and stuffing it into some field that is on the template and is empty, or appending it to some other field.  Just so I get all the data over there, and I can clean it up at my leisure.  But now you have me worried that some of these fields may truncate -- ?

#81768 Long text in fields

Posted by Holly Kilpatrick on 19 December 2016 - 06:01 PM in Discussion

Hi,

I am a new user, converting over from TMG.  I am checking the data in my test import.  I wonder if there is a keystroke to "pop up" a field that has more text than fits in the visible portion of a field.  In TMG there is a keystroke to pop up the field in a dialog box so you can read all the text, wrapped, without scrolling.  I looked for Shortcut keystrokes in Help, but did not see this.

Thanks,

Holly