Rick Landrum's Content

There have been 164 items by Rick Landrum (Search limited from 14-September 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#95265 TreeShare failing to load RM data to Ancestry

Posted by Rick Landrum on Yesterday, 08:32 AM in Issues

Since this was an isolated issue I believe your problem was an upload on a bad day for Ancestry. I would do as you planned and get a new Ancestry tree. Cleaning your RM database first is always a good plan. 

Renee,

FYI

I have completed the replacement of both my RM data base and my Ancestry tree. This appears to have solved the issues. I'm not sure which was corrupted. However, of course, reconnecting to a new Ancestry tree reset all my hints. These now have to be reviewed and either accepted or rejected (again).  :rolleyes:

Thanks again for your help

Rick

#95218 Person Group Headcount

Posted by Rick Landrum on 11 September 2019 - 07:39 AM in Discussion

The problem is the hints only display as you are viewing the individuals. It would require to many resources to generate them database wide. That is why you don't find WebHints on the People view. If they are not all generated then we couldn't generate a report for all of them. 

Since the hints are generated on the Ancestry website they have the best capabilities of displaying them all.  Not sure if you looked in the right spot on Ancestry for "All Hints" by tree. Each hint has the name of the person and you can visit their profile from the hint. Once identified you could open RM to view their hints there and work on them. 

Renee,

Yes, I go to Trees/Manage Trees/My Tree/All Hints and work from there. This all works OK, but as you said  "you could open RM to view their hints there and work on them". This is "one person at a time" centered. I was looking for something that would allow me to create groups in RM and see the open hint light bulbs there for each member of the group. It appears that does not exist at this time, so I'll just have to flip back and forth between A.com and RM, person by person.

Thanks

Rick

#95211 Person Group Headcount

Posted by Rick Landrum on 10 September 2019 - 03:12 PM in Discussion

No there isn't a report on WebHints. To look at all the Ancestry hints together their website will do that for you. 

I have used the Ancestry tool, which allows searches by name, but it is rather clunky when you are trying to ID tree members with open hints in RM. Some sort of report, with group creation capabilities, would be very helpful. Otherwise, searching for open hints in RM is basically a visual, one by one, process.  Clearing hints, if you are using hints in your research, is critical to keeping the sync between RM and Ancestry (or other platforms) current. I try to attack these by family groups and the lack of a report hinders that effort.

Thanks

Rick

#95204 Person Group Headcount

Posted by Rick Landrum on 10 September 2019 - 08:15 AM in Discussion

I would quibble with the "works great" characterization. I would say that it works but that it's pretty clunky. I don't understand why the list of groups can't just include the counts. The counts should appear there, all the time, every time. The counts are just too hard to get.

Jerry

Jerry,

I actually agree with you, but the statistical report for a group beats what you would have to do to get the count by other methods. I use groups and flags to keep track of my research status by family. My flags are placed in the prefix field, which I do not use otherwise. For example, {W} means research in work, etc.

Rick

#95189 Person Group Headcount

Posted by Rick Landrum on 09 September 2019 - 03:01 PM in Discussion

Is there a way to get a headcount of the number of persons in a group?

(I know how to generate a text file, import to Excel, and get it that way, but looking for something more direct in RM)

Thanks

Rick

Oops, never mind......it popped up two seconds after I posted

Use Reports - List - Statistics - by group

Works great

More to the point - - is there a way to get a report of persons by group who have open hints (specifically Ancestry hints)?

Thanks

Rick

#95183 TreeShare failing to load RM data to Ancestry

Posted by Rick Landrum on 08 September 2019 - 10:16 AM in Issues

Right, just a copy (disconnect the copy from the existing tree) then upload as a new Ancestry tree. See if it has the same issue then. 

Renee,

While working with my RM tree this weekend, I decided to run one additional test concerning the TreeShare failure to load data to Ancestry.

After running all the database tools, and scanning my PC for any virus or registry issues, I created a new (from scratch) test database in RM. I manually (not copied or drag and drop) used details for a husband and wife and entered them into the new database. I created new folders for both media and backup. I also placed copies of some media into the new media directory.  I reset all the file locations to point the new database to these folders.

Next, I connected the new database to Ancestry and created a new Ancestry tree. Everything should have been completely separate from both my old database and my old Ancestry tree. Almost immediately there were webhints for Ancestry. I worked those through WebHints and cleared them all. This cleared them in Ancestry as well. I then used TreeShare to compare my RM and Ancestry data, and moved data both from RM to Ancestry and visa versa. As far as I can tell, everything worked perfectly. It is also running a lot faster, maybe just because of the small test size. I also tried pulling the media from my old media directory, as well as the new one, by changing the paths in properties, but this seemed to have no affect. It is possible that something may also be wrong with my media directory, but that seems unlikely. I think it is a database problem.

This makes me think that something is either corrupted in my old RM data base, or in my old Ancestry tree, or both. I believe I need to recreate my whole RM data base, not by copying the file, but rather by drag and drop, and also possibly recreate my media directory. Then reset all my folder settings in RM. Finally, I can connect the new database to a new tree in Ancestry. 

I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks
Rick

#95174 TreeShare failing to load RM data to Ancestry

Posted by Rick Landrum on 06 September 2019 - 09:21 AM in Issues

Right, just a copy (disconnect the copy from the existing tree) then upload as a new Ancestry tree. See if it has the same issue then. 

Renee,

OK I have completed the test. The same issue exists with the dummy RM database and the new test Ancestry tree. There are just some facts/events that either the sources, media, or notes will not transfer from RM to Ancestry using TreeShare.

I appreciate your help, but I have a work around that I have been using, and I guess I will have to continue to use in these cases. I go to the Ancestry tree first for the person I am working, and I work all the hints there. I either ignore or accept them to close the hint. This closes the hint in RM as well. I then return to the person in RM and use TreeShare to sync my RM tree to my Ancestry tree. When I do this the data transfers to Ancestry OK. If I do not close the hints first, the data will not transfer.

(BTW there were some 6-7 pop up error messages that occured while I was connecting the dummy RM tree to Ancestry. The messages did not state what the error was, only that it was sending a report to RM ??

Thanks again

Rick

#95155 TreeShare failing to load RM data to Ancestry

Posted by Rick Landrum on 05 September 2019 - 12:14 PM in Issues

Yeah, that would be the normal process. I wonder if you happened to hit Ancestry at a time it was having issues when you made that new tree. Experiment with a copy of your database and make a new tree and see if the same issue happens. 

Renee,

I'm assuming by experiment you mean make a copy of my RM database and give it a dummy name, then connect it to Ancestry and make a new tree with that name?Just want to be sure this will not cause Ancestry to reset hints on my actual database. I guess not since I am not disconnecting it.

Rick

#95150 TreeShare failing to load RM data to Ancestry

Posted by Rick Landrum on 05 September 2019 - 08:44 AM in Issues

It does seem to be tree specific. How did you reconnect your database to an existing tree?

I'm probably using the wrong terminology. I "connected" my existing RM tree to a new Ancestry tree (using a similar name). I thought that was what you had to do.

Rick

#95148 TreeShare failing to load RM data to Ancestry

Posted by Rick Landrum on 05 September 2019 - 08:15 AM in Issues

Renee,

Ticket has been opened

One additional thought....this problem seems to only occur when trying to move data from RM to A.com and not the other way around. It also does not seem to be a problem when dealing with new hints or hints that were never acted upon in RM before I reconnected my database to A.com. This seems to imply that it does have something to do with A.com's process for "resetting" hints when an RM database is disconnected and then reconnected to A.com.

Thanks

Rick

Renee,

FYI - The last few days I have been working on a new branch of my tree in RM. For each "new" person added I have been able to search and maintain Ancestry with TreeShare and WebHints with no issues. I am becoming more convincd that the issues I have been having are related to members of my tree prior to the time of reconnection of my data base to Ancestry.

Rick

#95141 TreeShare failing to load RM data to Ancestry

Posted by Rick Landrum on 04 September 2019 - 02:22 PM in Issues

Open the Edit Person screen and the very first row is the Person row where you enter their name. It also has the general notes, media and sources attached to it. 

Renee,

Ticket has been opened

One additional thought....this problem seems to only occur when trying to move data from RM to A.com and not the other way around. It also does not seem to be a problem when dealing with new hints or hints that were never acted upon in RM before I reconnected my database to A.com. This seems to imply that it does have something to do with A.com's process for "resetting" hints when an RM database is disconnected and then reconnected to A.com.

Thanks

Rick

#95116 TreeShare failing to load RM data to Ancestry

Posted by Rick Landrum on 03 September 2019 - 10:14 AM in Issues

I haven't been able to recreate this, but am seeing an issue with Accept/Rejecting Ancestry hints in RM. But I can move data. 

Renee,
I hate to keep beating this drum, and with RM ver 8 coming it may not matter anyway, but I still find that if there are Ancestry hints that have not been accepted/ignored/rejected then TreeShare will not transfer data from RM to Ancestry until these hints have  been cleared first.

Something must have changed on the Ancestry side because clearing the hints in TreeShare, or WebHints does not clear the hints in Ancestry. If I go to Ancestry and work the hints there first, then RM will show the hints cleared. TreeShare will then move data to Ancestry.

I don't know if having reconnected my RM tree to Ancestry, which causes Ancestry to reset hints, has anything to do with this or not, but I'm consistently seeing this on every tree member I work.

FYI
and I promise to drop it going forward  :wacko:

Thanks
Rick

#95092 Find A Grave

Posted by Rick Landrum on 02 September 2019 - 09:22 AM in Discussion

How are RM users capturing and recording Find A Grave ID#s? Are you just adding the # as a Fact?

I have a master source for FAGM, (I sat up a field for the FAGM memorial number in the source citation) 

I select it when I am entering the FAGM memorial as an RM citation

I look up the person on FAGM and bring up the record

FAGM has a "save to" button that appears just below the person's basic info

You can save the record details to your clip board and then past them into the details view of the RM source

(you can also save to Ancestry from the same button)

It goes really fast and saves all the necessary info with  minimum retyping.

Rick

#95091 TreeShare failing to load RM data to Ancestry

Posted by Rick Landrum on 02 September 2019 - 07:53 AM in Issues

Does that restore on Ancestry all the links with parents, siblings, spouses and children and both sides of spousal events (Marriage,...)?

Tom,

Yes, as far as I have been able to determine, all relationships are restored. I have only used this method [delete a person from Ancestry and then re-add through TreeShare] in those cases where multiple changes to a person's RM profile have made it difficult to correct/resync the person's record in Ancestry. By deleting the person from Ancestry and then re-adding from RM, all RM data is perfectly transferred to Ancestry. However, the old problem of having to clear the Ancestry hints comes up again, because Ancestry will reset them all from scratch.

FYI

Rick

#95065 Exception Error - Ancestry Hints

Posted by Rick Landrum on 30 August 2019 - 03:31 PM in Discussion

Released 7.6.1 this morning that resolved the WebHint issue. 

FIXED: FamilySearch ordinance counts and icons weren't working right
FIXED: Ancestry WebHints couldn't be accepted / rejected properly

Renee,

From what I can tell this seems to have resolved the Ancestry hint problems I have been having. It is possible that this was the issue and not the fact that I reconnected my RM tree to Ancestry. Of course the reset hints still require review and reacceptance, but at least the hint tools are workling correctly now.

Thanks again

Rick

#95053 Exception Error - Ancestry Hints

Posted by Rick Landrum on 30 August 2019 - 07:14 AM in Discussion

Thanks Tom,

I have book marked this for future reference since I'm already going down the "hint review" road.

Rick

#95042 Exception Error - Ancestry Hints

Posted by Rick Landrum on 29 August 2019 - 01:18 PM in Discussion

The connection to the Ancestry tree is inside the database. So it won't matter what computer you are working on. 

Thanks Renee. Good to know. I was thinking of reinstalling RM because of the freezing problems with TreeShare. However, that seems to have been resolved. At least it has not recurred lately.

My other problem (not being able to update Ancestry from RM through TreeShare) is still an issue. As I knew would be the case, when you reconnect your RM tree to Ancestry, Ancestry resets (or reopens) all the hints you have previously worked. I tried to reaccept/or reject these hints using WebHints, but the action would not take. RM still showed the hint open (bulb on) and I have had to do it on the Ancestry side. RM will then display the correct hint status. This has to be done for every person (hint) in the tree.

In addition, if an event/fact/note/or source needs to be replaced or changed, TreeShare will not transfer the data from RM to Ancestry unless the Ancestry hints (that were reset because of the RM tree being reconnected to Ancestry) have been reaccepted/ or rejected first. In other words you have to reassociate sources, notes, and media to each fact or event where you previously accepted an Ancestry hint.  This means essentially "starting over" with each person in your tree where Ancestry hints are involved.

I am currently reviewing all members of my RM tree, against my Ancestry tree, and I am re-accepting/rejecting all hints that were reset by the re-load of my RM tree. This then allows me to share data from my RM tree back to Ancestry, once again.

I have noticed that any new hint (not acted upon prior to the database reconnection to Ancestry) seems to work fine. This indicates that there is some sort of broken links caused by the reconnection hint re-set.

Had I known just how big of a problem all this was going to be, I never would have re-loaded my RM Tree to Ancestry. Anyone thinking of doing this should carefully consider the consequences.

Thank you for your help
Rick

#95009 Exception Error - Ancestry Hints

Posted by Rick Landrum on 27 August 2019 - 10:47 AM in Discussion

I can't recreate this. The Ancestry WebHints won't appear in the Person List so what view are you on when this happens?

When you cleaned your computer did you disconnect from the internet first and stay off while scanning?

Sorry,

I was in the pedigree view and going to the hint bulb from there.

No, I did not disconnect first, but I have done this recently disconnected. I can repeat the process and disconnect while scanning.

Another question - can I reinstall RM 7 and point the new install to to my old database and media folders?

Would the reinstall break the link to my Ancestry tree?

Thanks

Rick

PS -

Ran the PC clean process and scanned PC for viruses and malware with internet turned off. Also ran RM database tools again. Found nothing, but have not had the error recurr so far.

Thanks

Again

#95006 Exception Error - Ancestry Hints

Posted by Rick Landrum on 27 August 2019 - 09:30 AM in Discussion

Looking for suggestions to cure recurring exception error in RM.

The following error pops up when clicking on an open Ancestry hint (light bulb) from the pedigree view in RM:

"Exception Eaccess Violation in module RootsMagic.exe, Read of access FFFFFFF9"

This freezes RM until I click on the "OK"  in the error dialog. RM then closes and I have to restart.

I have done the following:

Ran all the RM datatbase tools

Cleaned PC

Checked for virus/malware

Restarted PC

None of this helps.

For what it is worth, a whole series of issues with RM related to either Ancestry Hints or TreeShare have persisted on my PC every since the last Windows 10 update. No other programs or apps seem to be affected, only RM Ancestry interfaces.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

#94933 TreeShare failing to load RM data to Ancestry

Posted by Rick Landrum on 25 August 2019 - 08:45 AM in Issues

OK, I'll keep watch and capture some detailed specifics to forward

Rick

Renee,

Quick update

1st - the problem with the Yearbook error  has not recurred for me since the RM update, Thanks

2nd - the problem with TreeShare not accepting updates from RM to Ancestry continues.

As a test I selected one person with some updates that needed to be made to check what happens. First I made sure all updates were completed on the RM side. Next I accepted all of the 7 Ancestry hints open in RM. When I checked, Ancestry still showed all 7 hints hints open, so I went into Ancestry and accepted all of the hints. 

Next, I tried to make the source and fact note updates to Ancestry from RM in TreeShare. Nothing happened. Ancestry would not accept the changes.

It appears to me that when you reload your RM tree to Ancestry more than just the hint links are broken. Any data updates made previously also seem to be messed up in Ancestry. Essentially I have to completely start over syncing my RM tree to my Ancestry tree manually. TreeShare will not do it. To confirm this, I created a new "dummy" person in RM and went through the steps of adding and then updating through TreeShare to Ancestry. I created a birth death and burial fact for the person. Two of the three sources loaded in error (completely different records). The third would not load at all. All attempts to load corrections through TreeShare failed to load.

I have run all of the RM database tools, reloaded my RM tree to Ancestry, and re-accepted the Ancestry hints that were reset to "open" as a resulted of reloading my RM tree. None of this helped.

I am at a loss as to what to do next. At this point TreeShare is basically worthless to me.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

#94925 TreeShare failing to load RM data to Ancestry

Posted by Rick Landrum on 24 August 2019 - 08:17 AM in Issues

I haven't been able to recreate this, but am seeing an issue with Accept/Rejecting Ancestry hints in RM. But I can move data. 

OK, I'll keep watch and capture some detailed specifics to forward

Rick

#94915 TreeShare failing to load RM data to Ancestry

Posted by Rick Landrum on 23 August 2019 - 02:03 PM in Issues

Does that restore on Ancestry all the links with parents, siblings, spouses and children and both sides of spousal events (Marriage,...)?

Tom,

Yes I think so, but I have not thoroughly tested that far. I really don't want to have to resort to that. It was just an effort born out of the frustration caused by TreeShare not working. Other than the issue with the open Ancestry hints blocking a transfer from RM to Ancestry,  I have not been able to identify a cause. Until this problem is fixed, I am resorting to opening both Ancestry and RM at the same time, flipping back and forth between them, and copy/pasting data that needs to transfer to achive a sync. In other words I'm back to where I was pre-TreeShare. But at least it is reliable. Just another "TreeShare work-a-round"........ :wacko:

Rick

#94896 TreeShare Crashing

Posted by Rick Landrum on 22 August 2019 - 03:20 PM in Issues

We are not sure yet why some users are getting this error. So far we haven't been able to reproduce it with our trees. Can you open a support ticket so we can test the download. 

https://support.root...us/requests/new

Renee,

For what it is worth, I'm getting this error as well. It pops up when I try to access TreeShare from a person in RM. When the person selection list appears, the error will pop up. Sometimes I can click on the "ok" in the error message and TreeShare will keep on working. Most of the time TreeShare will freeze until I click on the "ok" and then RM will shut down.There is no particular person, it just seems to be at random. Wonder if this is related to the other TreeShare problems I have been posting about?

Rick

#94892 TreeShare Crashing

Posted by Rick Landrum on 22 August 2019 - 02:33 PM in Issues

Getting exception error and then screen freezes and need to use Task Manager to kill RootsMagic. This is happening every time I try to open TreeShare.

Application Error

Exception Exception in module RootsMagic.exe at 000649BB

invalid GUID Picture (TanMediaPointer.ID)

Ran all the database tools, no help.

Any ideas?

No, none, but I'm getting the same error. Started right after the most recent Windows 10 update was pushed, along with all manor of other issues between RM and Ancestry. I also have run all the data base tools but no help. My TreeShare has been all messed up and I had to reload my RM tree to Ancestry to get it going. This "of course" reset all my hints which are all having to be reworked. Please share if you discover anything.

Rick

#94889 TreeShare failing to load RM data to Ancestry

Posted by Rick Landrum on 22 August 2019 - 10:37 AM in Issues

Was it all facts for the person or just those on the Person row that it effects?

Renee,

Seeking second opinion........

As previously stated, I had to reload my RM tree to Ancestry because TreeShare was freezing. That "of course" reset all the Ancestry hints. In the process of reviewing persons in my RM tree, I was re-dispositioning all the hints, in some cases rejecting or ignoring them because I already had the information. As I reviewed the hints , I found some data that needed to be changed or updated in my RM tree. When I tried to use TreeShare to update those changes back to Ancestry, they would not update unless I had already cleared the hints in Ancestry. As a result of all of this, I tested a different approach. Once I had completed the review and made any needed changes to RM, I deleted the person from my Ancestry tree, then used TreeShare to re-add the person from RM to Ancestry. This "of course" resets the Ancestry hints for that person again, and I have to run through them and turn them back off, but all my RM data for the person loads back to Ancestry perfectly, thus resyncing my RM and Ancestry trees for that person.

Am I missing something that will cause other problems if I use the approach?

Thanks

Rick