Rick Landrum's Content

There have been 148 items by Rick Landrum (Search limited from 07-July 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#97583 Namefind blue-plus icon

Posted by Rick Landrum on 18 June 2020 - 12:41 PM in Discussion

Sounds like an Alternate Name fact has been added to an individual ?

Oh, OK that's got to be it. I was thinking more along the lines that it may have identified potential duplicates.

Thanks a bunch

Rick

#97580 Namefind blue-plus icon

Posted by Rick Landrum on 18 June 2020 - 10:45 AM in Discussion

This is probably a strange question to be asking as a long time user but, what does the blue icon with a white plus sign mean in the RM Explorer namefind utility? It apparently does not do or mean what I thought it did?? Couldn't find it in the help files.

Thanks

Rick

#97553 Ancestry web hints will not turn off

Posted by Rick Landrum on 16 June 2020 - 09:56 AM in Discussion

Problem Continues -

Today the issue was a little different. A phantom hint appeared in RM that could not be acted upon or opened. I went to Ancestry and I could see the hint, but could not open it in Ancestry. I came back to the hint about an hour later and tried it again. This time it opened and I was able to clear it in Ancestry. I returned to RM and the hint light had turned off. Something wierd is going on....maybe just a server processing backlog at Ancestry??

FYI

Rick

#97531 Ancestry web hints will not turn off

Posted by Rick Landrum on 15 June 2020 - 07:46 AM in Discussion

pstaveley,

Thanks very much, I was able to resolve the issue, at least for this one individual.

I had not looked at the problem from the Ancestry side. When I checked, I found that ANC had two pending hints, which were not showing up in RM. The count of pending hints was listed but the details would not come up. As soon as I cleared the hints in ANC the light went off in RM. Apparently there was a glitch in the API. I know this is a pain, but at least there is a workable solution.

However, something new must be going on. I was having no issues with this in the past, and now I have encountered several new cases in the last couple of days.

Thanks again

Rick

#97523 Ancestry web hints will not turn off

Posted by Rick Landrum on 14 June 2020 - 12:48 PM in Discussion

I have run into a new problem, for me anyway.

I have Ancestry hints turned on. I have a person in my tree where all of the Ancestry hints have either been accepted or rejected. The Ancestry hint stays pending (bulb stays lit). I've tried turning off Ancestry hints and back on. No change. I've accepted all hints, and I've rejected all hints, as a test. The same two hints still stay in pending status. Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

Rick

#97502 FamilySearch WebHint

Posted by Rick Landrum on 10 June 2020 - 03:36 PM in Discussion

Jerry,

With the additional understanding that you provided, I've had good luck closing out the FS "web hints". Thanks again.

Rick

#97498 FamilySearch WebHint

Posted by Rick Landrum on 10 June 2020 - 07:47 AM in Discussion

Do be aware that in a certain sense, there is no such thing in RM as Webhints for FamilySearch. What actually exists is Record Hints in FamilySearch for individuals in Family Tree. Those Record Hints in Family Search for individuals in Family Tree are being used to create a useful illusion of WebHints for FamilySearch in RM.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks, that makes sense. As usual you have done a great job of explaining it. I probably did not express my problem very well, but I am currently performing a 100% review of persons in my RM tree. I was trying to check each person to see if a new, or previously missed, web hint had presented itself. I had both Ancestry and Family Search web hints turned on. If a hint was present in Ancestry, and I already had the data loaded to my tree, then I would just accept the hint. This cleared the light for further review. However, if an FS hint was present, and I already had the data loaded, I could not find a way to clear the light. I would not want to reject it because it was valid. So, if I understand this correctly now, I would need to "accept" it in FS and that would clear the light in RM. I'll approach it that way and see if it fixes my issue.

Thanks again

Rick

#97496 FamilySearch WebHint

Posted by Rick Landrum on 09 June 2020 - 02:42 PM in Discussion

Oops, sorry - found it in the RM help

"To view the hints for a specific provider, just click the name of the provider in the WebHints list.  Clicking WebHints for FamilySearch, MyHeritage, or FindMyPast will take you to the provider's website to view, confirm, or reject the hint."

Thanks

Rick

#97495 FamilySearch WebHint

Posted by Rick Landrum on 09 June 2020 - 12:41 PM in Discussion

Question?

How do you (or can you) Accept or Reject a Web Hint from FamilySearch in Roots Magic 7?

I have been reviewing member data for my RM tree and I have Ancestry and FamilySearch web hints turned on. I haven't been able find how to reject a hint that is a non-match. As a result, the light bulb stays lit unless I turn off web hints for FamilySearch.

Thanks

Rick

#97422 Colour coding

Posted by Rick Landrum on 01 June 2020 - 03:13 PM in Discussion

I agree very much with the idea that color coding can be used many different ways, and that you can change over time. When I first started using RM, I tried to use color to differentiate between families, direct ancestors, etc.  I too ran into the problem that you can only have one color per person. After several years, I have changed my approach and have begun to use color and groups in combination for various projects. For example, I am currently working to perform a complete review of all the data associated with the members of my tree. First, I created a set of "visual cues" to the status of my research of a person. I use "red" to denote that I am actively researching the person. Next, if I consider my research to be "compete", but I still have some "housekeeping" of the data to finish, I change to "Yellow". Finally, if I have completed my review of the data for the person, I then change to "Green". The change is very easy using Tools/Colors. If you view the tree on the Pedigree or People views, for example, it is now very easy to pick out which persons I still need to work on. 

I have also created Groups for the three research status categories. 1) Research considered complete - Green, 2) Data Cleaning required - Yellow, and 3) Actively researching the person - Red. You can then use the "automated color coding by group" feature to change the color for a group, or you can change each person as you go.

To make it even easier to review a given family, I have created Groups for Direct Ancestors in a given family line. (Example: Smith Family-Direct Ancestors). Once you have added the tree members to each family group, you can view a given family group in the People view and sort the members alphabetically. This makes it very easy to concentrate on a given family. The research status of the members will be obvious based on the assigned colors. 

Hopefully this is helpful. Works for me.   :)
Rick

#97348 Adjusting Media Properties Description Font Size

Posted by Rick Landrum on 26 May 2020 - 07:36 AM in Discussion

Zhangrau,

Thanks very much for this info. It will be very useful when publishing.

Actually, I was asking with reference to the on screen fonts for the media properties description field for media in RM7. The on screen text appears quite small. I've experimented with the windows settings (although I really don't like to change my standard resolution), and all the RM font settings and nothing seems to help with enlarging the font to make it easier to read on screen. I have resorted to using the Windows Magnifier tool, but there again we are adding more mouse clicks. Maybe I just need new glasses - :)

Anyway, we'll see what RM8 has to offer in this regard.

Thanks again

Rick

#97338 Adjusting Media Properties Description Font Size

Posted by Rick Landrum on 25 May 2020 - 02:28 PM in Discussion

Anyone know how to adjust the RM7 media properties description font size?

I've tried to adjust all the database display font settings and nothing seems to affect the media description font size.

Appreciate any help on this.

Thanks

Rick

#97233 Posting Fiance to Tree

Posted by Rick Landrum on 15 May 2020 - 07:29 AM in Discussion

You just have to get over the usual meaning of "spouse". Essentially, it's any relationship strong enough to produce either a paper trail (e.g. marriage license, engagement announcement) or a child.

Got it....I think that was my problem. That and I had overlooked the "engagement" fact type.

Thanks

Rick

#97226 Posting Fiance to Tree

Posted by Rick Landrum on 14 May 2020 - 08:18 AM in Discussion

There is an Engagement fact that should work for you. It is a standard, built-in fact type. The note could say they were never married because of the death.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry.

My bad. With all that is going on these days, I guess I just missed it in the list. That will work fine.

Rick

#97223 Posting Fiance to Tree

Posted by Rick Landrum on 13 May 2020 - 04:07 PM in Discussion

Could use some help.

I have come across an unusual case. I'm sure it is not unique, but pobably somewhat rare. I need to post a person who was a "fiance" of a family member to my tree, but I have not found any guidance on how to do this. The couple had been dating for several years and planned to marry in the near future. However, the fiance became very ill and passed away before the wedding could take place. Although they never married, I still want to record the relationship because the person had become very close to the family. Currently, I just have it captured as a note.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks

Rick

#97204 Reorganize Multimedia Files?

Posted by Rick Landrum on 08 May 2020 - 03:34 PM in Discussion

I included it in my procedure for renaming citation media from Ancestry for two three reasons:

1. Debugging
  2. Identifying subsequent duplicates via a match of the name of a new download to that substring of a renamed file.
  3. Assured uniqueness of filename (thanks for reminding me, zhangrau)

The most basic link to an Ancestry media item looks like this:

https://www.ancestry.ca/interactive/8946/ONMS935_93-0459 

Maybe there is a shorter more direct path but I haven't found it. The downloaded file is named by default:

ONMS935_93-0459.jpg 

So you can reconstruct part of the link to the file on the Ancestry server from the filename but we're missing the intermediate level "/8496/". I don't know where you'd get that from.

Tom,

When I asked this question before, I thought I understood the answer, but apparently not. I've tried several times to access media on Ancestry by using the ANC.com media ID.  I've never been able to do it. Actually, I agree that the only apparent benefit of including the Ancestry media ID in my RM media file name is to help identify and correct duplications of files. For example, the same file may be attached to two or more persons in ANC, so if I download those people via Tree Share I'll end up with duplicate media in my media directory. I find this occasionally during my research. Since I can usually get back to the ANC media file by viewing the person's profile in my Ancestry tree, I'm just wondering, am I thinking about this correctly? 

Rick

#97162 Automatic updating of Ancestry using TreeShare

Posted by Rick Landrum on 02 May 2020 - 08:50 AM in Discussion

I would like my Ancestry tree to be in synch with my tree in RootsMagic at all times without having to manually add new people to the Ancestry tree or manually allow changes to go from RootsMagic to the corresponding Ancestry record.  It doesn't look to me as if TreeShare will do this.  Am I missing something?

If it were automatic then the two trees (RM and Ancestry) would always be in synch.  The way it is now I forget to use the TreeShare button to synch it up, and they get so far out of synch that I end up deleting the tree on the Ancestry side and replacing it with a new copy from RM.  There are two problems with this.  As the Ancestry tree gets behind, common ancestor information and ThruLines in the DNA tab isn't up to date, so I miss the benefit of Ancestry's ability to compare my tree with trees of people whose DNA I match, and when I finally get around to replacing the tree, all of this information in the DNA tab in Ancestry must be re-created.

Tcloster,

From my own sad experience, I would add an additional problem. If you replace your tree on Ancestry, with your latest RM tree, all of your hints will be recreated in Ancestry. This requires a 100% review to accept or decline in RM. That is if you use hints...

Rick

#97077 Showing multiple marriage events in a Family Group Sheet

Posted by Rick Landrum on 22 April 2020 - 07:54 AM in Discussion

Rick, you will need separate family group sheets, one for each family he made with different spouses. 

Thanks Renee,

That's what my testing showed. For my purposes, when using Publisher, I have started using an Individual Summary instead of a Family Group sheet. It provides enough detail for most of my family member readers.  Example, male ancestor was married three times. By selecting IS it shows all three marriages, all children, and details for the ancestor. If I had used FGS the husbands data would have been repeated three times.

Rick

#97069 Showing multiple marriage events in a Family Group Sheet

Posted by Rick Landrum on 21 April 2020 - 08:58 AM in Discussion

At the risk of seeming to crash in on this  thread.....

I have a question regarding multiple marriages and family group sheets as it applies to the Publisher function. I too have numerous multiple marriages in my tree (example - same husband, different wives). I have found that I have to use more than one family group sheet in publisher. One for each marriage. Technically this works, but it results in duplication of the husbands information, and adds to the page length of the report. Is this correct, or am I doing something wrong?

It does appear that a better choice may be to use the Individual Summary for the husband. Information about all spouses and children is included in that report. 

Rick

#97016 Renaming Ancestry Database

Posted by Rick Landrum on 17 April 2020 - 12:51 PM in Discussion

Thanks,

Figured out the issue. I had accidentally saved the wrong RM db to ancestry under the wrong name. Changing the name will not fix it, so I am just reloading the correct db with the correct name. My bad.

Rick

#97014 Renaming Ancestry Database

Posted by Rick Landrum on 17 April 2020 - 10:25 AM in Discussion

Need a little help

While In the process of reorganizing and cleaning up my RootsMagic databases, I renamed my primary active database. I then tried to find how to rename my Ancestry database to match. I can not find instructions to do this. RM says I am still connected to the same old database in Ancestry. Can you rename an Ancestry database? I guess I could reload my RM database to Ancestry, but wont that reset all my hints?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Rick

#97004 Reorganize Multimedia Files?

Posted by Rick Landrum on 14 April 2020 - 12:46 PM in Discussion

I included it in my procedure for renaming citation media from Ancestry for two reasons:

1. Debugging
  2. Identifying subsequent duplicates via a match of the name of a new download to that substring of a renamed file.

The most basic link to an Ancestry media item looks like this:

https://www.ancestry.ca/interactive/8946/ONMS935_93-0459 

Maybe there is a shorter more direct path but I haven't found it. The downloaded file is named by default:

ONMS935_93-0459.jpg 

So you can reconstruct part of the link to the file on the Ancestry server from the filename but we're missing the intermediate level "/8496/". I don't know where you'd get that from.

Thanks Tom,

Actually Idon't think I care about the source ID, but I had been including it in my naming of the file in case there was a reason/need to get back to it. I never have.

Rick

#97001 Reorganize Multimedia Files?

Posted by Rick Landrum on 14 April 2020 - 09:17 AM in Discussion

This is a very timely topic for me. I have been working to accomplish the same thing. I developed a naming convention set, with the help of some posts in this forum, and started naming new media in accordance with it. However, I still have many old files that have not been converted yet. I basically use "Surname-Given Name-Title (such as CEN or GM)-Source (such as FS, ANC, Etc)". I then use the windows directory search tools to find a file as needed. I do not save my files in sub-directories.

I do have one question. Is it necessary, or advisable, to include the Ancestory media ID (if that was the source)? I've never found a practical use for that information in RM, and I don't think you can search for the ID in Ancestry??

Rick

#96969 RM7 Publisher PDF's

Posted by Rick Landrum on 10 April 2020 - 06:46 AM in Discussion

You can add blank pages to the Publisher, and after generating the book edit it to insert the PDF pages.

Thanks Renee,

I have tested your suggestion, as well as Zhangrau's comments, and  I have found it does work for what I was trying to accomplish. One drawback that I did find is that any edits to the Text page in the completed book will disappear if you need to update and re-save the book. The changes would have to be recreated each time the book is updated. However, given that no tools currently exist in RM7 Publisher to handle PDF files, handling PDF images with after the fact changes to the book seems to be much better than converting the PDF to say a Jpeg in the RM7 data base. Depending on the size of the PDF (number of pages etc.) that approach can really take a lot of time.

Thanks again for your help.

Rick

#96961 RM7 Publisher PDF's

Posted by Rick Landrum on 08 April 2020 - 02:21 PM in Discussion

The whole question of multi-page documents is an interesting challenge. One of the virtues of the PDF format is that can act as sort of a container literally to "contain" multiple pages. This can be a delightful convenience because it is generally speaking easy to manipulate the multiple pages in the single PDF file because the single PDF file is - well it is single file from the point of view of your computer's file system. Having multiple pages in a single PDF file can be delightful until and unless the PDF file contains hundreds of pages each containing lots of images, at which point the single PDF file becomes so large as to be totally unwieldy and you might begin to wish that the images were not in a single large container.

It's not quite the same concept, but TIF files also have this ability to be a container to "contain" multiple images. We usually speak of multi-image TIF files instead of speaking as if a TIF file were a single container for multiple images. But it's the same concept with a different name.

For a long time, I was so enamored of this concept that I used multi-image TIF files a great deal with RM. A typical example would be for modern court house marriage records, where one "marriage record" might consist of three images - the marriage application, the marriage license, and the marriage return. So I would put all three images into a single TIF file, effectively containerizing the three images which collectively constituted one marriage record. I would link the TIF file into RM and be done. Happy, happy, happy.

Except that I eventually realized that there were two major problems with my plan. One problem is that Web browsers would not support TIF files and I wanted to start placing some of my data in the Web, including images. The other problem is that I came to realize that most software that supports a lot of different image formats including TIF will only show you the first of the multiple images. Such software will not even give you a warning that there are other images in the file that you are not seeing. So I decided to abandon the TIF format. Doing so has been a huge amount of work. You can't just replace one TIF file with one JPG file or with one PNG file. Doing that wouldn't be so bad. Instead you have to replace one TIF file with three JPG files or three JPG files and get them all linked into RM properly. Doing so is very labor intensive, and I rue the day I decided that TIF files were a great idea.

But the moral of the story is that I do understand the attraction of PDF files as containers for multiple images. As long as the number of images in the PDF container is relatively modest, it's a great tool. Except when it isn't, as when RM doesn't support it for Publisher. For Publisher, I think Renee's suggestion for inserting a blank page in the Publisher book and then adding the PDF images after the fact is probably a good idea. For the Web, I still don't think PDF is a good idea. I used to say (correctly, I think) that most Web browsers didn't support PDF files. I think most or maybe all Web browsers do now support PDF files in some manner.  But the way browsers support PDF files still doesn't quite meet my needs. For example, with JPG and PNG files, I can publish my data online with Gedsite and the image files work really well. There is a medium size thumbnail that the user of my page can click on to see a full size of the image. But with PDF files, there is no media size thumbnail nor any size thumbnail for PDF files. All that appears on my Web page is a link without much clue as to what the link is. So I'm still trying to stay away from PDF's as much as possible.

Jerry

Jerry,

The "container concept" is exactly what I was after by loading PDF's instead of individual image files. However, as I said, I did not anticipate the issues with Publisher and scrap books that I'm now in the middle of. I have yet to try and publish on a website, so I am pretty uninformed regarding the issues and pitfalls that might be waiting on me there. Anyway, adding PDF's to my "publisher" books using Rene's suggestion seems to be the best solution for me now. My method of distributing books to family members will be as a PDF saved on a USB drive.

Thanks for the input

Rick