Dan Yaklin's Content

There have been 31 items by Dan Yaklin (Search limited from 21-January 20)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#97803 Media File Name Being Changed

Posted by Dan Yaklin on 26 July 2020 - 02:15 PM in Discussion

I created a cop of my database, then created a Sharable CD. I did not have any issues with Media in my copy of the database. So I really don't have any idea what caused the original problem was.

#97793 Media File Name Being Changed

Posted by Dan Yaklin on 24 July 2020 - 11:29 AM in Discussion

I am pretty certain I was not looking at the database in the Sharable CD folder. It was my original database that got corrupted. I guess I can try making a Sharable CD again. Maybe I will make a copy of my database first, so if it messes up I won't fix all the links again.

#97792 Media File Name Being Changed

Posted by Dan Yaklin on 24 July 2020 - 11:23 AM in Discussion

Sorry, it created the Sharable CD folder in my RM folder where my RM databases reside. Yes in the Sharable CD folder there was a Pictures folder.

#97790 Media File Name Being Changed

Posted by Dan Yaklin on 24 July 2020 - 09:37 AM in Discussion

The Sharable CD was created in in my RootsMagic database. No I wasn't opening the Sharable CD database. I was opening the original database. I do know that some of my media is being used more than once. I am not sure if those are the images that got the extra stuff added to the file name in RM.

I did not see any corruption in the Pictures folder that was created in the Sharable CD folder.

#97784 Media File Name Being Changed

Posted by Dan Yaklin on 22 July 2020 - 07:19 AM in Discussion

I did not use TreeShare on this database nor did I reopen a older database. The only thing I did to the database was attempt to create a Sharable CD. I tried a couple of times, because I was not sure it created a Sharable CD the first time.

Let me be clear, the actual media file names are not being changed. What is being changed is the media file name in the RM database. I was able to fix all of the links again by using the Search and Replace. There were several variations of errors in the file name in RM database. The ones I described above and also I saw some instances of XXX_1.jpg, where the actual file name was XXX.jpg. I had the same issue with pdf file where XXX.pdf was changed in the RM database to XXX.pdf (2).pdf.

#97778 Media File Name Being Changed

Posted by Dan Yaklin on 21 July 2020 - 02:29 PM in Discussion

I have run into an issue with one of my RM databases. The database was originally restored from a backup on another computer. I had media link issues with this database and I spent a couple of days fixing all of the links in the database. Typically the link file name in the database would be something like xxxx.jpg (2),jpg. I corrected all of these links and had all broken links fixed.

Today I went into the database and found that all of my links are broken again. When I look at the link file name they all seem to have the same issue. They look like xxxx.jpg (2).jpg. Some are like yyy.jpg (2).jpg (2).jpg (2).jpg. I don't understand what caused this. Using the fix broken links will not resolve this issue, because the link file names in RM have been changed.

The only thing I have done to this database since fixing all of the broken links is try to create a Sharable CD. It created the Sharable Cd files but there was no data in the Pictures folder because the links were broken.

Any idea what caused this and how can I fix it without having to manually go in and change each link?

#97673 Help with where to make notes for a person

Posted by Dan Yaklin on 05 July 2020 - 12:07 PM in Discussion

I was doing a complicated bit of research for two brothers.  The issue became which one was where when.  Can you say confusing!  So I made a note about this traveling and put it in each brothers notes, the note space by the individual's name.  When researching one, I could quickly look at the note for information instead of going back and forth between them.  Unfortunately, they are part of a large tree, and when I printed a book the notes were forgotten, making the story about the individual look as though I had combined them into one person.  

Is there a better place to put such a note?

Thanks for your help.

#97645 Trim Database

Posted by Dan Yaklin on 29 June 2020 - 12:27 PM in Discussion

Thanks.

#97643 Trim Database

Posted by Dan Yaklin on 29 June 2020 - 11:28 AM in Discussion

For me, since my database is so large, it is easier to just find the people born after the certain date, and delete their link to their parents. But I haven't found an easy way to generate a list of everyone born after a certain date.

#97639 Trim Database

Posted by Dan Yaklin on 28 June 2020 - 04:28 PM in Discussion

Is there an easy way to delete everyone in my database who was born after a certain year?

Dan

#97271 Spouse order in Narrative Reports

Posted by Dan Yaklin on 17 May 2020 - 08:42 AM in Issues

Thank you very much.

#97251 Spouse order in Narrative Reports

Posted by Dan Yaklin on 16 May 2020 - 03:47 PM in Issues

When I print out out narrative reports, I am having a problem with the order of multiple spouses and their children. The second spouse is printing first with her children and then the first spouse is printing afterward with her children. Is there some way to reverse the order? it seems to me the first spouse should print first and then the second spouse.

#96630 Tree Share Notes

Posted by Dan Yaklin on 24 February 2020 - 10:31 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

When syncing trees on Roots Magic for Mac and Ancestry, fact notes do not appear to sync between the two trees.

Does anybody have any ideas why this might be the case?

Dan

#96477 TreeShare with Ancestry

Posted by Dan Yaklin on 30 January 2020 - 04:59 PM in Issues

When I download a tree from Ancestry using TreeShare, in the name field in Ancestry are source documents that do not download to RootsMagic file.  The icon for sources is pink in Ancestry and blank in RootsMagic and there does not appear to be a method to sync this field.

Any ideas?

#96119 Shared Facts

Posted by Dan Yaklin on 16 December 2019 - 01:20 PM in Discussion

OK thanks for the help.

Dan

#96115 Shared Facts

Posted by Dan Yaklin on 16 December 2019 - 10:08 AM in Discussion

It appears that that might be the problem. What happens if you type a name in that is not exactly spelled the same as the person in the database? It doesn't seem to add a person to the database. It seems like it just doesn't link anywhere. It would be nice to have a popup saying this person is not in the database.

Dan

#96110 Shared Facts

Posted by Dan Yaklin on 16 December 2019 - 08:47 AM in Discussion

I am running RM7 on a Mac and am having an issue on a particular fact that I have shared with several people. This particular fact is not appearing in the person pages of the those people it has been shared with, although it shows on the share screen for that fact as being shared with several people.

I have run all of the file database tools and restarted RM7, but the shared fact is still not appearing in the person pages of people it was shared with.

Any help will be appreciated.

Dan

#95934 Out of Memory

Posted by Dan Yaklin on 15 November 2019 - 12:47 PM in Discussion

That makes sense. Thanks

#95931 Out of Memory

Posted by Dan Yaklin on 15 November 2019 - 09:34 AM in Discussion

Running File>Database Tools after a fresh start did not make a difference. Changing from "Footnotes printed at the bottom of each page" to "Endnotes printed at the end of the document" generated a report in a reasonable time.

Is there an issue with printing footnotes on each page?

Dan

#95927 Out of Memory

Posted by Dan Yaklin on 14 November 2019 - 09:22 PM in Discussion

I am trying to generate a modest descendant narrative report in a RootsMagic 7 database. The report is for 4 generations. I have tried on a Mac and the process seems to hang, without generating the report. I moved the database to a PC with 32 GB of RAM and tried to generate the same report. It ran for minutes and finally came back with a popup that says "Out of Memory". In looking in task manager I have plenty of memory available.

I have another much larger database, and I can generate a 18 generation descendant narrative report in a few seconds on the PC.

What could be the issue here?

Dan Yaklin

#95791 Print Source Text and Source Comments

Posted by Dan Yaklin on 25 October 2019 - 10:12 AM in Discussion

Thanks for your insight.

#95790 Capability to Print Source Text and Source Comments in Narrative Reports

Posted by Dan Yaklin on 25 October 2019 - 10:07 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I would like to see the capability to print Source Text and Source Comments in Narrative Reports.

#95788 Print Source Text and Source Comments

Posted by Dan Yaklin on 25 October 2019 - 09:44 AM in Discussion

So what would the purpose be of having a Source Text and Source Comments fields if they can't be printed in a Narrative Report?

Also does anyone know if this capability might be included in RootsMagic 8?

#95781 Print Source Text and Source Comments

Posted by Dan Yaklin on 24 October 2019 - 12:18 PM in Discussion

Is it possible to print the Source Text and Source Comments found under the Master text tab in a Free Form source in a Narrative Report? If so, how is it done?

#95735 Source Issue

Posted by Dan Yaklin on 17 October 2019 - 05:08 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

Yes I did a compress before exporting.