JimDavis79's Content

There have been 19 items by JimDavis79 (Search limited from 24-September 19)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#98186 What to do when citation URLs change?

Posted by JimDavis79 on 21 September 2020 - 05:58 AM in Discussion

My practice is two-fold:  leave the URL as it was when I accessed it (just like leaving place names as they were on a particular date) and also grab a copy of the site information to a PDF that I use as a media exhibit supporting the source.  The first fact is like citing a book that is out of print and for which a copy cannot be found.

#98170 DNA usage in RM7

Posted by JimDavis79 on 17 September 2020 - 08:55 AM in Discussion

You're right about the lack of DNA support in RM7, though I believe other genealogy programs are equally bereft of useful features like matching.  What I do with my DNA information is capture it in a miscellaneous fact, with a brief description in the note, and with the full DNA report attached as a source media item.  You can then find it quickly.  

Note that no genealogy program is currently a DNA research tool; those functions exist outside of the programs.  On a philosophical note, I don't expect my genealogy program to capture every function of every aspect of family history research.  I extensively use external tools, such as complex time lines, LEEDs analysis, DNA reading, research log and task, even if there is some support built into the program.

#98016 Media: best way to organize on computer and in RM7?

Posted by JimDavis79 on 25 August 2020 - 12:45 PM in Discussion

There's a huge discussion at http://forums.rootsm...and-rootsmagic/.

#97800 Using Remote Desktop to access RM on remote PC

Posted by JimDavis79 on 26 July 2020 - 10:42 AM in Discussion

I have a new 32" 4K monitor with KVM switch so that this new monitor is either second monitor to Mac or main monitor to PC with RootsMagic (or 3rd monitor on my work PC!).    :)

Okay, I now have monitor envy!  My main computer attaches to a couple of 19" 4:3 monitors, and I thought that was the height of luxury!

#97678 Using Remote Desktop to access RM on remote PC

Posted by JimDavis79 on 06 July 2020 - 06:23 AM in Discussion

I have only used Remote Desktop for service calls, but what you contemplate should work.  Do be sure to secure the connection, as RDP is prone to hack attacks from within and without your home network.

Curious, though, why if you have a PC you wouldn't work on it directly?  Are you taking the Mac offsite and connecting back to home?

#97677 Anyone keep database and images on google drive?

Posted by JimDavis79 on 06 July 2020 - 06:18 AM in Discussion

Trying not to pile on.  I'm in the camp that works on multiple computers and stores backups locally and in the cloud.  I commend to your inspection a tool call Free File Sync to keep everything updated.  Works flawlessly, is donation-ware and is easy to run.  I back up every day with very little effort.

#97649 Ancestry and Familysearch

Posted by JimDavis79 on 30 June 2020 - 06:32 AM in Discussion

NEreswearcher, you're on the right track.  To disable the interaction, do these things:

-- click on Internet, TreeShare for Ancestry and make sure you're signed out.

-- click on Tools, File Options and WebHints.  un-check all the boxes.  While in File options, click on the left pane icons for Ancestry, Family Search and My Heritage, others if you have them.  In Ancestry, Disconnect from Ancestry Tree and un-check all options.  In FamilySearch, un-check all options and remove login info.  In MyHeritage, un-check all options.

I'm pretty sure that is all you can do, but others will correct me if I've left something out.

#97505 Sharing Facts from Certificates

Posted by JimDavis79 on 11 June 2020 - 07:04 AM in Discussion

Madge, no one has answered, so I'll offer my opinion, which is simply to do what you think is best. 

Using a birth fact as a stalking horse: if you want the birth of a child to appear in the list of Facts for the parents, then share the child's birth fact there.  The Timeline view for persons does already show births and marriages of related persons, if you check the various boxes in the Timeline View Options dialog.  The Individual Summary report also has options to display such information.  It may be that after experimenting with RM tools like these that you are able to make a clear decision on whether to go beyond the built-in functions with a sharing of the birth facts.  

Hope this helps!

#97504 Exchanging RM Photo properties with embedded metadata

Posted by JimDavis79 on 11 June 2020 - 06:54 AM in Discussion

I agree and I would add that, for many RM users, RM is their (rudimentary) DAMS,MAMS, CMS for things having to do with their family tree. Thus it is their metadata master. So would there be no benefit to being able to transfer the RM metadata for media files to embedded fields within those files?

For those users who have invested in DAMS et al software and effort in organising the files and embedding in them their metadata, would there be no benefit in being able to compare the embedded metadata with the RM metadata and transfer some in either direction?

Please forgive my delay in answering.  Yes, I do think there would be benefit in data transfer between RM and DAMS.  My further comments stem from years of software acquisition management in government and the private sector.  What I learned in trying to build an enterprise data exchange bus (three examples, but there are more) in a shipboard engineering system; for legacy applications at a worldwide IT company; and for a statewide student information system taught me:

-- the number of systems with unique data use grows with every inspection.  In this case, the starting list would be RM, the various DAM software, FamilySearch, Ancestry, and so on.  As soon as such a bus was announced, there would be a long list of unique connectors to develop.

-- it is nearly impossible to get the developers of individual systems to agree on a data exchange standard for such a bus.  Just look at the varying implementations of the GEDCOM standard, and then look at the interactions between the standards bodies for EXIF, IPTC and XMP.

-- the set of user requirements would be very long, and not complementary.  I've always used a Change Control Board with the votes belonging to paid users to prioritize what comes first and what gets done.  Even so, no one gets everything they want.

My gut says a limited implementation is possible, only if the developers make choices on what and how they will implement.  If, say, RM decided to implement the IPTC standard, creating and mapping fields from it to RM, then a utility could be fashioned.  That would take a lot of RM-funded effort and development time.  I'd rather RM focus on genealogy matters and RM functionality, leaving only a simple link to photos that I can manage much more easily in a dedicated program.

Again, all this is said gently, and I hope my words in no way offend those with different opinions.

#97445 Exchanging RM Photo properties with embedded metadata

Posted by JimDavis79 on 04 June 2020 - 06:06 AM in Discussion

Said gently, I do not expect my genealogy software to do every single thing that one might do in the process of chasing my crazy ancestors.  Examples of things I don't do in RM include mind maps, complex timelines, capturing details about places, grabbing details of web sites I encounter during research (see the tool Zotero), managing research logs, to-do lists, publishing stories (in part) and this topic, digital asset management.  I use an older version of Adobe Lightroom so that I don't pay continuing subscription fees, and there are many other choices.  Lightroom provides access to every field in the EXIF and IPTC standards and if used with .jpg files, embeds the data inside the file, where it is unlikely to be lost.  My opinion is that you should choose a metadata master and tolerate the inability of other software to do all things for all purposes.

#97275 Shout out for SQLite tools!

Posted by JimDavis79 on 17 May 2020 - 03:08 PM in Discussion

Want to raise a public Thank You! to TomH for his SQLite utilities and his willingness to help me get one to work!  Saved me a bundle of time by adding a particular fact to about 3000 people!  If you haven't tried them to solve a particular problem, do so.

Thanks, Tom!

#97071 Scanned files and RootsMagic

Posted by JimDavis79 on 21 April 2020 - 01:23 PM in Discussion

So, essentially, what I could do is use the RM ID as discussed, but add the "Ref No" fact (with an "early date" to sit on top of the person details, or no date to keep it at the end).  And wherever I may send data in the future, this "Ref No" would be transmitted.  

give the Ref ID a Sort Date of one (numeric 1) and it will sort to the top.

#97070 Scanned files and RootsMagic

Posted by JimDavis79 on 21 April 2020 - 01:16 PM in Discussion

The stable option is that there is a built-in fact type in RM called the Reference Number. Indeed, this is not just a standard fact type in RM, it is a standard GEDCOM tag that should be supported by most if not all genealogy software. It will be completely stable. However, the management of the Reference Number is completely manual. You will have to add it by hand to each person in your database, and there is no automatic guard against duplicate numbers. You will have to do manage that yourself. There is no prescribed format for a Reference Number. It can contain alpha characters in addition to digits, and indeed it can be any string of characters whatsoever. There is an RM option to display the Reference Numbers on your screen for each person just like there is an RM option to display the RM ID on your screen for each person.

Gerhard, this is the option I am pursuing, to wit, entering a Ref ID fact to every person.  As you go along, you might find it helpful to produce a report of all persons without a Ref ID fact, so you know where to concentrate your work.  I think that like you, I use an identifying number in file and folder names to separate (in my case) all the George Davis' that are candidates for my ggpa.  Once I put such a fact in all persons, I'll switch to displaying that instead of the RM ID, and the lack of one will clue me into the need to do so for other persons.

Best regards, Jim

#96988 Reorganize Multimedia Files?

Posted by JimDavis79 on 13 April 2020 - 09:10 AM in Discussion

Let me also point to a previous discussion of what folders to use:

I found the ideas in this discussion very useful in determining what folders I want to use.

#95940 Release Date for RM8

Posted by JimDavis79 on 16 November 2019 - 08:05 AM in Discussion

So, in short, RM doesn't want Mac users. 

Well, RM8 will have a native Mac version without the Crossover wrapper.  I've used both OS versions, and I'll be glad when the wrapper is no longer needed!  I assist new genealogy researchers, who are split about 50:50 between Mac and PC OS, so I'll be glad to wholeheartedly recommend RM8 to both.

#95928 TMG Focus Groups --> RM Groups?

Posted by JimDavis79 on 15 November 2019 - 06:58 AM in Discussion

emkaysmith, there is a way to do at least some of what you want to do.  Click Search > Named Groups > Manage Groups.  Click the green plus sign for a new group, then click Mark group.  You'll see a list of preformatted choice, plus one that says "Select people by data fields."  That brings up a window where you build a query based on info in various data fields.  If, for example, you've got "Church XYZ congregant" in a field, you can create a list based on that and give it a unique name.

These groups are not live, i.e., adding new people to the database that meet the criteria does not automatically add them to the group.  However, you can refresh the group, or add people singly as you work the data.

Like you, I'm a TMG emigre!

#95848 Jurisdiction Change

Posted by JimDavis79 on 04 November 2019 - 10:45 AM in Discussion

DoninRiver, I concur with Jerry in all respects.  In the past, my practice was to enter current names, but then what if they change in the future?  So, i'm going back to using names at the time the event occurred, and am correcting previous entries to historical names.

In case you don't know, latitude and longitude can be entered for specific places in the Edit Place window, or from the Place List.  Hope that's clear, please forgive if not.

#95833 Adding a person created by an affair

Posted by JimDavis79 on 03 November 2019 - 10:39 AM in Discussion

Scrollsawman, RM provides a way to characterize parentage.  In the "Edit Person" window, click on the Parents line.  You will see in the right hand pane drop-down lists for "Relationship to father" and "Relationship to mother."  The choices for the drop-down are: Birth, Adopted, Step, Foster, Related, Guardian, Sealed and Unknown.  Set up multiple parental relationships to display both the biological line and the social family line.

Example:  one person in my family has known biological parents.  However, this person was raised by the aunt of the man who had an affair with the biological mother.  After the affair, the biological father took one child to raise and the aunt raised two others.  No formal adoptions.  The biological parents divorced and each remarried.

hope this helps!

best regards, Jim

#95377 Elder vs Younger

Posted by JimDavis79 on 22 September 2019 - 07:45 AM in Discussion

When royalty reuses the name of a monarch, the number of the use of the name is appended to the name, despite there being intervening Generations. If you need to distinguish between two people with the same name, this might help.