1shellback's Content

There have been 9 items by 1shellback (Search limited from 19-October 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#86909 Relationship to Root Person in Custom Reports

Posted by 1shellback on 20 November 2017 - 11:25 AM in Discussion

Thanks again Jerry. I've accomplished what I need and expressed in my first note in this chain in Feb 2016 - to list all my relatives in one specific cemetery. I've done it manually for the 140+ individuals involved, but I don't want to repeat the process for a dozen more cemeteries. There ought to be a better way. Since PAF already does this, I can always expert from RM to PAF and run the report there.

I'm dealing with a large (to me) database of ~64k individuals, so selecting all ancestors and their descendants results in the need to delete individually thousands of folks - not something I want to do once, let alone several times.

Renee Zamora says improvements to the handling of Relationships is "on the list", so we'll just have to wait. Thanks again,

/Peter

#86896 Relationship to Root Person in Custom Reports

Posted by 1shellback on 20 November 2017 - 06:47 AM in Discussion

Jerry - Thanks for your clarification... I suspected my list of Events (birth, marriage, death, etc.) was a non-standard list. My relationship event must have come from an outside source on some import I'd done in the past. I suspected something was funny, since several are mis-spellings that I did not create.

Beyond all that, I'm puzzled how to create a Custom Report with a column that lists a relationship (to a root person or other base). For example, "My Relatives Buried in XXX Cemetery".

Suggestions?

/Peter

#86895 Relationship to Root Person in Custom Reports

Posted by 1shellback on 20 November 2017 - 06:45 AM in Discussion

Jerry - Thanks for your clarification... I suspected my list of Events (birth, marriage, death, etc.) was a non-standard list. My relationship event must have come from an outside source on some import I'd done in the past. I suspected something was funny, since several are mis-spellings that I did not create.

Beyond all that, I'm puzzled how to create a Custom Report with a column that lists a relationship (to a root person or other base). For example, "My Relatives Buried in XXX Cemetery".

Suggestions?

/Peter

#86889 Relationship to Root Person in Custom Reports

Posted by 1shellback on 19 November 2017 - 03:52 PM in Discussion

Running RM 7.5.4, I want to create a custom report with "Relationship" as the last column. However, I'm finding that yes, the column is created correctly but no, the data for the column is not filled in even though I've specified "Relationship" as the data to insert in the report configuration. If I manually copy the Relationship Indicator text (from the lower left corner) into each person's individual record - the Relationship event, then the proper text appears in the report as long as the Root person is not changed. This may be a "Dynamic" constraint that Jerry Bryan described in another post, but here an "Autofill" option sure would be nice.

I understand Relationship changes are "on the list", but I hope it won't be too long. This sounds kind of basic and helpful to many if done.

#82911 Relationship to Root Person in Custom Reports

Posted by 1shellback on 29 March 2017 - 10:14 AM in Discussion

Renee - Now that we're getting closer to public release of the new RM version with all the Ancestry integration, can you give us a "sneak peak" into the Relationship corrections & enhancements Cina indicated might be coming too? I still would like to produce a Custom Report with a Relationship Indicator column that includes more direct & indirect relation ships than is currently possible, i.e. wife of 3rd cousin once removed, etc..

#81534 Relationship to Root Person in Custom Reports

Posted by 1shellback on 03 December 2016 - 05:43 PM in Discussion

Thanks Renee. After an enlightening discussion with Cina in your Support group, it was agreed there were indeed inconsistencies in the reporting by the Relationship Indicator that the development team was already aware of and that there were several ideas currently under consideration for improvements. I appreciate your assistance.

#81502 Relationship to Root Person in Custom Reports

Posted by 1shellback on 30 November 2016 - 04:24 PM in Discussion

Yes  Renee, clearing and resetting relationships didn't help. Exiting and restarting the program didn't help. I'm running Version 7.2.1.0 (23 May 2016) on a Windows 10 PC. My database contains 60K+  names if scale could matter.  /Peter

#81481 Relationship to Root Person in Custom Reports

Posted by 1shellback on 29 November 2016 - 03:09 PM in Discussion

While on the topic of improvements to the Relationship indicator, I can demonstrate that while a grandson back in my ancestry is correctly stated as a 5th cousin 3 times removed, and his father is correctly a 4th cousin 3 times removed, his father and all those further back are not related at all in the lower corner display. That's a problem - right? The Relationship chart is labeled correctly. 

#81480 Relationship to Root Person in Custom Reports

Posted by 1shellback on 29 November 2016 - 02:37 PM in Discussion

Renee - If you're confirming "non-blood" relationships is on the development list, what about adding specific kinds of relationships like ancestors, spouse of...,  uncles/aunts, cousins (1st - 10th selectable), etc., or any combination. Selectable both for the Kinship Report and other Relationship displays. Lots of flexibility...