zhangrau's Content

There have been 196 items by zhangrau (Search limited from 20-February 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#92993 sharing place details with renamed place

Posted by zhangrau on 18 February 2019 - 10:49 PM in Discussion

1 - I don't believe there is any way to share place details among multiple places. You'll have to re-enter them for each main place variation.

2 - I consider the GEDCOM counter to be just a form of progress bar. In fact, it always ends on a "decade" count, instead of the actual count. For example, if the database has 423 individuals, the GEDCOM count will stop at 420. If you want accurate counts, go to File > Properties.

#92974 Including Repository info in the Bibliography

Posted by zhangrau on 17 February 2019 - 12:47 PM in Discussion

Here's my latest update to my custom Source Template: ! Book (with Repositories)

I have added a Catalog field to hold the ISBN or Library of Congress number, and Call Number fields for each of the Repositories.

The first screen cap is of the Source Template [Edit] view; the second screen cap shows the Master Source List using this template.

By the way, the Place for my GJDG Collection repository varies depending on where I was living at the time, so the Repository List (showing my current location) may not agree with my location at the time I acquired any particular source. I've decided that I like being able to show that variance.

rm7-source-template-book-with-repositori

rm7-queen-emma-and-the-vikings-2.png

#92973 create Group by selecting for Source title

Posted by zhangrau on 17 February 2019 - 12:31 PM in Tips and Hints

In making updating revisions on my database, I had occasion to want a new Group made by selecting which individuals were linked to a particular Master Source.

I know that I could run a [Print] command in the Source List, but that result can't be used to create a Group.

I tried several times to use the Search by data field options, but none of my early attempts worked. Eventually I created a more complex search using four different criteria with OR boolean operators. I don't actually know which of the four criteria achieved what I was after, but this final search returned 68 results.

I then displayed the Group in People view, and sorted on the Last edited column.

Scanning that column, I could see that I updated individuals in that Group between 22 Feb 2006 and 27 Dec 2018.

rm7-select-group-by-source-title.png

#92972 Sort options

Posted by zhangrau on 17 February 2019 - 10:39 AM in Discussion

I handle this by entering an Alternate Name fact for every variation of a person's name that I find. Whether by name change, spelling error, or any other reason.

I group all of the Alternate Names after all of the other indivdual and family facts, and add Sort Dates to put them into my preferred order.

20190217-alternate-name-fact.png

#92818 One wish wishlist

Posted by zhangrau on 05 February 2019 - 06:17 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I don't think I'm alone in wanting to keep my software and data OFF the web.

Reasons:

- Security. Every couple of months there is another revelation  of data breaches. Privacy requires security, and the web just isn't secure.

- Inadequate web access. Despite all the hullabaloo from the tech giants, web access is NOT universal. This affects cell phone use and web use by computers. There are still LOTS of places that I visit with limited web access. Sometimes it is just not available, other times it is behind a pay wall.

#92787 New Version 7.5.9.0

Posted by zhangrau on 03 February 2019 - 08:47 PM in Discussion

http://forums.rootsm...update-history/

#92760 TreeShare Desktop & Laptop?

Posted by zhangrau on 02 February 2019 - 09:49 AM in Discussion

Yes, that's what she means.

#92702 Invalid Pointer During Tree Share update

Posted by zhangrau on 28 January 2019 - 09:18 AM in Issues

And for memory issues, a reboot is always a prudent move.

#92699 Treeshare - All "Changed Boxes" not clearing

Posted by zhangrau on 28 January 2019 - 06:51 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

rm7-post-image-to-forum.png

#92683 Problem in 'Notes'

Posted by zhangrau on 27 January 2019 - 10:07 AM in Discussion

Look at Help > Contents > Spell Checking

In RM 7.5.9.0 is this statement:

4.e.

Add to dictionary – Causes the reported word to be added to the dictionary. Use the Add to dictionary button if a correctly spelled word you use often is reported as a misspelling (e.g., your family name). If the word is not used frequently, you may want to select the "Ignore Once" or "Ignore All" buttons instead.

#92628 Wish List Items

Posted by zhangrau on 24 January 2019 - 10:08 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

For your 4th item:

File > Properties provides the total number of multimedia items, and the total number of media links.

#92613 Backup file - new name every backup

Posted by zhangrau on 22 January 2019 - 07:42 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Here's an example of how a photography program that I use names files:

20181231124359.jpg

very easy to decode:

YYYYmmddhhmmss = year month day hour minute second

#92596 Name Field in Source Templates

Posted by zhangrau on 22 January 2019 - 10:04 AM in Sentence and Source Templates

Use the /slashes/ to get RM to show the surname in the manner you prefer. I understand that it's not documented in the RM Help, but it WORKS.

#92589 Name Field in Source Templates

Posted by zhangrau on 22 January 2019 - 06:07 AM in Sentence and Source Templates

I routinely use the /slashes/ around the surname in the Author field of my Master Sources, and it works to properly delineate the name portions. This is particularly helpful when the surname has 2 or more portions, as in /de  la Vegas/.  I could not find a description of this behavior in the RM Help facility, although searching on "slash" did bring up a mention using slashes during adding an individual.....

#92523 Error message

Posted by zhangrau on 17 January 2019 - 12:53 PM in Discussion

Go to the menu:

Tools > File Options > WebHints and remove the checkmarks

#92420 memory hog

Posted by zhangrau on 12 January 2019 - 06:26 PM in Discussion

I'm running Win 10 and RM 7-5-8-0. I have 5 browsers loaded on my laptop: Edge, Chrome, Opera, Firefox and IE. I do NOT have tree online, so I have web hints turned off. I frequently have Edge, Chrome and Firefox (each running 3-10 windows - not tabs) and see no degradation in performance. The one web function that is a drag on performance is automated video (ads, embedded news videos, etc.) that stresses the video subsystem. I can tell when that is happening both because of the noticeable slowdown and because the cooling fan kicks on. Stopping the offending video, or closing the website with offending video ads, solves the problem as quickly as the fan can cool the overheating components.

#92407 Which file/database to use?

Posted by zhangrau on 12 January 2019 - 12:27 AM in Discussion

rm7-post-image-to-forum.png

#92396 stumped

Posted by zhangrau on 10 January 2019 - 05:20 PM in Discussion

A few years ago, I decided to use the RM Publisher as my means of sharing data with family. One of the main attractions of this method, to me, is that I can define an organizational outline of the Publisher Book that be easily updated, without having to worry much about the many details in the data collected. Just as importantly, the book is always as up-to-date as my database.

Because the Publisher Book cannot include multiple photos for each person within the narrative chapters, I started including Scrapbook chapters so that I could share image files with my readers. But, it soon became obvious that I was generating as many pages of media as the accompanying narratives. And that was making my reports intimidatingly long for readers.

So, now I produce two separate books for each project: 1 - the narrative reports; and 2 - the media Scrapbook. I've described how I do this in other posts, so I'm not going to elaborate here....

#92361 FamilySearch - Export Results feature

Posted by zhangrau on 07 January 2019 - 11:14 AM in Discussion

You could convert the downloaded Excel file into a GEDCOM, then load that into a new, blank RM database for further processing

http://forums.rootsm...dcom#entry86708

#92325 Media catagories

Posted by zhangrau on 03 January 2019 - 03:17 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

For file management during backups, I use a text-based program called ZtreeWin. Being text-based, it doesn't use a lot of graphic resources to display file information.

Most importantly, it makes incremental backups much more efficient. I can open side-by-side windows [F8] of a source and destination directory (which can be on separate drives - ie: internal and USB) then compare the two directories [Alt-C] to generate a list of unique/changed files, display that list [Ctrl-S], and then copy files & duplicate folders [Alt-C]. The file copy process is much shorter than a full copy via File Explorer, because it only addresses the unique/changed files - not the entire contents of the source directory.

#92273 Pictures degraded on Wall Chart

Posted by zhangrau on 31 December 2018 - 01:35 PM in Issues

Posting pictures:

http://forums.rootsm...-the-rm-forums/

#92264 RM User Conference

Posted by zhangrau on 30 December 2018 - 12:58 AM in General Messages

Fort Wayne (Allen County Public Library) also has an outstanding collection.

#92245 Missing sentence template for "Immigration to United States"

Posted by zhangrau on 27 December 2018 - 05:34 PM in Discussion

What if Renee is on a shorter web path to the server? My electrons never had a chance to get there first. <whatever>

Edited 28 Dec 9:42 am

I defer to Renee's diagnosis :)

#92232 Missing sentence template for "Immigration to United States"

Posted by zhangrau on 27 December 2018 - 12:13 PM in Discussion

Actually, you seem to be mistaken. There is an "Immigration" fact type that is built in, as a standard GEDCOM element. It has a sentence of "[person] immigrated< [Date]>< to [Place:plain]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Desc]>."

If you have an "Immigration to the United States" fact type, that was NOT a RM built in element, and that's why it does not have a sentence. You must have imported a GEDCOM file that used that custom fact type.

Go to Lists > Fact Types and scroll to your "Im U S" fact type, then use the [Edit] button to go in and add an sentence to the Principal role.

#92228 Displaying profile pictures

Posted by zhangrau on 27 December 2018 - 06:03 AM in Discussion

I don't think I understand your question.

Do you mean displaying the photo at the top of the Family View Page? In the Media Album for a person? In a printed narrative report?

From prior posts (by other RM users) about links to files and images, I understand that when an image is linked to the Media Album as a [File], then RM uses the Windows default program to open and display that image. If that's what you'd like, then you should understand that images linked as [File] will then NOT be displayed in the Family View nor in printed reports. You have to decide which is more important to you...