zhangrau's Content

There have been 218 items by zhangrau (Search limited from 21-September 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#91109 How are you using Shared Facts?

Posted by zhangrau on 19 September 2018 - 07:59 PM in Discussion

It sounds to like you are describing the use of Life Capsules in Personal Historian.

http://www.rootsmagi...onal-Historian/

The only real negative issue with RM's Shared Facts are that they are not a standard GEDCOM element, and so would not transfer well to other genealogy programs. But there are definitely RM users who like to use Shared Facts. I use only a few Family Facts, and those are NOT the same as Shared Facts.

My habit means including a separate individual fact for each person involved in a common event - your suggestion to use Shared Facts --- I don't know if I'd want to go that direction. But I also do not use Personal Historian, so I can't comment on the ease or complexity of generating stories with that program.

#91106 How are you using Shared Facts?

Posted by zhangrau on 19 September 2018 - 06:49 PM in Discussion

Can you edit your post and put it in a readable color??

#91105 Access Violation at address 0059441B ??

Posted by zhangrau on 19 September 2018 - 06:45 PM in Issues

32K records is not a very big database, in absolute terms. SQL can handle a billion.

I find that when I go several days between Windows reboots, and have 4 browsers open (each with 5-10 windows), I run into memory errors and things act weird. But I've been using RM for 15 years, and have only rarely had an access violation error. When I completed the type of maintenance that Renee suggested, things were back to normal.

On Windows, RM runs much more effectively (faster, fewer memory issues) with 16 GB of RAM. 8 GB and 12 GB aren't quite enough. My database has over 424K records, and I learned many years ago that I can't afford a computer fast enough that it will always be faster than me. So, I always have various tasks that take longer than I'd wish....

#91100 Access Violation at address 0059441B ??

Posted by zhangrau on 19 September 2018 - 02:06 PM in Issues

That error message doesn't give enough info for a certain answer.

What version of Windows?

How much RAM?

How many records in database?

How long since last reboot?

Even these questions may not pinpoint a cause....

#90974 RootsMagic 7 for Mac

Posted by zhangrau on 04 September 2018 - 08:50 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

Yes. There are some differences in mouse clicks and hot keys, but if you use the menu system, it is the same on both PC and Mac.

#90940 Reports > Publisher needs some sort & filter tools

Posted by zhangrau on 02 September 2018 - 09:51 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

I have been creating Reports > Publisher books for a number of years. I think I have over 125 of them defined in my current RM7 database, and the lack of any kind of sorting or filtering tools for the book titles (including subtitles, maybe adding keywords?) has become apparent.

So my wish is for some kind of search/filter to be added.

Thanks.

#90926 RootsMagic 7 for Mac

Posted by zhangrau on 01 September 2018 - 09:50 PM in RootsMagic for Mac

Like most software, RM7 does not ship with a printed manual. The Help files are a great resource - Try selecting Help > Contents.

Also try going to http://rootsmagic.com/

In the Learn section you'll find a wide variety of materials.

#90877 please increase the range of acceptable years in Sort Date

Posted by zhangrau on 29 August 2018 - 06:03 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

I do use the -i suffix -- quite frequently -- especially in ordering same-day events and in my sequencing of Alternate Name facts. I think I've rarely used a suffix over 50, and had no idea that its limit was so large.

By the way, 2^64 = 18,446,744,073,709,600,000

Assuming each whole number is a day, that means RM should be able to handle a span of

50,503,050,084,075,900 years of 365.26 days

That range would surely meet my current needs !!!

#90874 please increase the range of acceptable years in Sort Date

Posted by zhangrau on 28 August 2018 - 10:42 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Thank, TomH, that is what I've discovered through attempts to use outlying values.

As I said in my original post, for the purpose of a couple special projects that I'm working on, it would useful to me if that range was wider. I realize that would require a small shift in the programming object which controls dates, and that is what I'm wishing for in the upcoming version.

#90867 please increase the range of acceptable years in Sort Date

Posted by zhangrau on 28 August 2018 - 02:10 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

Huh?

#90857 please increase the range of acceptable years in Sort Date

Posted by zhangrau on 27 August 2018 - 09:48 PM in RootsMagic Wish List

As I'm working on some special features of my genealogy project, I've tumbled across a limitation that doesn't make sense tp me. I'm not a programmer, but I know enough about programming and mathematics to wonder why this limitation should exist.

RM7 allows me to specify an event date as 13 Jan 5000, but then revises the Sort Date to 13 Jan, without a year.

I know that the programming languages I learned in the 1970's used single- and double-precision variables, essentially 8-bit and 16-bit binary numbers. An 8-bit binary can store the value of 255; a 16-bit binary can store the value of 65535 (which Excel converts to 04 Jun 2079). Excel can also display years up to 9999 before it's function returns an error value at 10000.

Can the new programming environment for RM8 address this limitation?

#90835 Entering names of royalty

Posted by zhangrau on 26 August 2018 - 10:24 PM in Discussion

Historically many countries did not require surnames for much of their histories.

KFN is absolutely correct. Historical accuracy requires leaving the Surname field blank where the contemporary persons and culture did not use surnames. I have seen a number of databases that used the "of Place" construct in the Surname field to distinguish John of Stafford from John of Northamptonshire. Since genealogists need systems to assure proper identification and accuracy, I have sometimes used that construct, as well. In fact, I believe that some people used that construct before the adoption of surnames, also to provide unique identification.

In my research of European royalty, I have imported chunks of contributed GEDCOMs, visited many libraries, bought and borrowed a lot of books, and consulted several different encyclopedias. As I stated before, those published genealogists and historians DO NOT use a single, standard system for identifying individuals.

Since titles of nobility and royalty were conferred upon a newborn child, an adolescent, a victor in a battle, a reigning monarch, etc., etc. it is quite common for a single individual to have MANY titles. I dare anyone to prepare a complete list of the titles of England's Henry VIII .... I am sure I've never seen all of his titles in one coherent and chronological list.

In England, the members and descendants of the House of Tudor are generally identified with the Tudor surname. Similarly, the descendants of Hugh the Great (895-956), in France, are typically grouped as the House of Capet, and most are known by the Capet surname. Non-ruling branches of the family, known as cadet lines, include those descended from non-ruling sons or from females and are identified as de Nevers, de Lusignan, de Champagne, de Lorraine, etc., etc.

I use the Alternate Name fact generously when documenting those people. For example, Louis IX (previously discussed) has 69 Sources and 14 Alternate Names; while Charlemagne has 120 Sources and 29 Alternate Names. I typically use the Sort Date to order the list of Alternate Names in a sequence that makes sense to me. My readers have yet to complain about my approach. This practice has allowed me to clarify under which name the individual was known in each of the different sources. If anyone ever decides to backtrack and double-check my research, that seems pretty important to me -- elsewise, why bother tracking citations, sources (a bibliography), and repositories.

#90830 Entering names of royalty

Posted by zhangrau on 26 August 2018 - 04:30 PM in Discussion

Charlemagne (742-814) is an agglomeration of the Latin "Carolus Magnus", meaning "Charles the Great" (https://en.oxforddic...ion/charlemagne).

As such, it is neither a given nor surname, but more akin to a nickname.

Charlemagne's grandfather was Charles "the Hammer" (689-741), usually referred to as Charles Martel by published historians. He earned the sobriquet Martel (marteau and martel being French words for hammer) as a result of leading the Frankish forces to victory at the Battle of Tours in 732 (https://www.britanni...le-of-Tours-732). The descendants of Charles Martel have used the Martel surname until the present day. A quick search at Ancestry.com yielded over 186K records for the surname Martel associated with the keyword "Quebec".

There is simply no good way, in RootsMagic, to record Louis IX as published historians would do. As you've probably noticed, in historical use there are royal titles used as prefixes, as suffixes, and some that are split between prefix and between the given and surnames. Having done years of research to document the familial connections between the European royal houses, I can assure you that historians do not subscribe to a single, standard way of expressing a royal name and title. This Britannica article doesn't seem to attempt to least all of the titles by which Louis was known during his lifetime. (https://www.britanni...graphy/Louis-IX) Other references might seem to settle on something similar to: King Louis IX of France for a shortish version of his name.

So, how do I list Louis? Fair question.

Prefix: King of France

Given: Louis

Surname: Capet

Suffix: IX

Nickname: Saint Louis

Yielding: King of France Louis "Saint Louis" Capet IX

Since I have over 10K members of the European royal families in my database, I needed to settle on my own standard method for documenting names within the RM system. I decided, years ago, that my method is understandable enough, and it doesn't bother me that my method doesn't duplicate the sequencing of published historians.

#90747 Shared Facts - Individual Roles

Posted by zhangrau on 22 August 2018 - 11:35 AM in Discussion

I don't use shared events/facts.

But wouldn't you edit the roles under Lists > Fact Type List ? Isn't that how the roles were originally created?

#90746 Master Source and Media file organization

Posted by zhangrau on 22 August 2018 - 11:27 AM in Tips and Hints

My work on Master Source Template design is at one. For years I have based all of my Master Sources on the Book, Basic format template. Since RM does not provide a Repository index (which was long ago available in FO and early RM versions), I decided to add 4 new fields to the Book template, making the Repositories a part of my Bibliography index.

rm7_master-source.png

#90734 Master Source and Media file organization

Posted by zhangrau on 21 August 2018 - 10:43 PM in Tips and Hints

22 Aug 2018

My database has over 420K records, 15K sources, and 24K media items. I sort my media into folders by type of event. Other RM users sort by person or family. My "census" folder has subfolders for EACH census year (from 1681 to 1956).

I also have begun a system of categorizing my Master Sources through the use of a prefix to the source name. Since the majority of my research comes from Ancestry.com, I don't add the prefixes to the names of A.com databases.

[bio] biography
[bk] book
[cem] cemetery
[cen] census
[cert] certificate
[dir] city directory
[encyc] encyclopedia
[gaz] gazetteer
[map] map
[nat] naturalization
[news] newspaper
[obit] death notice or obituary
[pk] personal knowledge
[plat] plat map
[tel] telephone directory
[tree] contributed tree or branch (usually via GEDCOM)

media-subfolders_20180822.png

#90730 RootsMagic6 To-Go Hardware requirements

Posted by zhangrau on 21 August 2018 - 05:48 PM in Discussion

One critical issue for you to consider: RM6-To-Go requires a full version of Windows to run. Not the old Windows-R nor the new Windows-S.

#90728 Adoptions

Posted by zhangrau on 20 August 2018 - 09:02 PM in General Messages

1 - Use Alternate Name facts to document before-&-after name changes.

2 - Use the Adoption fact to document the date & place of adoption

3 - If that doesn't seem clear enough, consider adding Notes to either or both of the Birth and Alternate Name facts

#90649 How big is too big?

Posted by zhangrau on 13 August 2018 - 07:00 PM in Discussion

@zhangrau, what do you see in the Windows Task Manager about memory usage by RM while it is running? I should think that the Database Tools and a full GEDCOM export should be heavy.

1 -- I've never done a thorough check of ANY program's resource usage via Task Manager.

2 -- When I run the Database Tools, Database Integrity and Rebuild Indexes take a couple minutes each (I haven't timed it recently), WAY FASTER than the Find Everywhere.

3 -- And it's been a very long time since I ran a full GEDCOM or drag-n-drop on my database.

#90635 How big is too big?

Posted by zhangrau on 12 August 2018 - 09:54 PM in Discussion

My database is the result of 30 years' research, and contains a bit over 420K people - about 85% are connected in a single, main tree. That has allowed me to make unsuspected connections between people who were surprised to find out they were related. The only funcion I avoid due to the large size of my datase is the Search > Find everywhere command - because it takes about 90 minutes to crunch through 420K people, 2 million citations, etc., etc.

#90616 Suggestion - Report - Timeline Chart

Posted by zhangrau on 11 August 2018 - 10:47 AM in RootsMagic Wish List

If you select Reports > Charts > Timeline yo do NOT get the RIN

If you select Reports > Lists > Timeline then you DO get the RIN (and other options)

#90609 Find-A-Grave

Posted by zhangrau on 10 August 2018 - 05:24 PM in Discussion

I'm a source lumper, and I have a Master Source set up for Find A Grave. I copy the FAG info into the Research Notes, and download and link the available images. The Citation info is Given-name Surname Birth-year -- Death-year (e.g. Poindexter Mechanic 1950-1977) That's enough info to re-find the FAG record.

#90601 Fan Chart

Posted by zhangrau on 10 August 2018 - 11:14 AM in RootsMagic for Mac

I used to use an older version of FTW (Family Tree for Windows). I don't know if that program would run properly under Win10, that was more than 10 years ago.

#90463 Ancestors with Weak Evidence

Posted by zhangrau on 02 August 2018 - 05:58 PM in Discussion

I've grown accustomed to thinking of SQL as a robust, not-error-prone, database. My main database currently has 423,781 people and 17,383 trees (the vast majority having 1 to 50 people). I do also use "suppositional" ancestors (such as {Ancestor] Smith) to collect together some of the unlinked records, but I've only been doing that for a year or so - and that's why I have so many unlinked trees.

#90462 SQLite Error 11

Posted by zhangrau on 02 August 2018 - 05:46 PM in Issues

If you are storing your RM=to=Go and RMGC database on the same USB drive, make sure there is plenty of empty space. Based on 30+ years of experience with sometimes-balky computers, I'd recommend the empty space be at LEAST twice as large as the combined size of the program and databsse. There is no scientifically-verified answer for this size, but temp files can take up a lot of space.