CLMartin's Content

There have been 16 items by CLMartin (Search limited from 20-October 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#76565 Word Spacing

Posted by CLMartin on 02 January 2016 - 10:42 AM in Issues

I am having an issue with spacing of words within the note field. I have a screen shot, but I'm not sure how to get permission to load it, so I'll just tell you what it is doing.

Long sentences in my description field from FTM is going into Notes on RM.  After gedcom, I have found lost spaces between words.  Perhaps the spaces are being lost in the translation. For instance...

FTM says this:

The Adam family removed from Virginia to Illinois by the time of the 1860 Census and had removed to Cowley County, Kansas before the 1870 Census as Nathaniel was deceased by 1869 in Kansas.

GEDCOM says this:

1 EVEN The Adam family removed from Virginia to Illinois by the time of the

2 CONC 1860 Census and had removed to Cowley County, Kansas before the 1870

2 CONC Census as Nathaniel was deceased by 1869 in Kansas.

RM says this:

The Adam family removed from Virginia to Illinois by the time of the1860 Census and had removed to Cowley County, Kansas before the 1870 Census as Nathaniel was deceased by 1869 in Kansas.

I notice that the gedcom splits the first time where "the" and "1860" are located.  However, the second time the split occurs between "1870" and "Census" the spacing is fine.

Thank you.

#76406 FTM Refugee Hints

Posted by CLMartin on 29 December 2015 - 01:00 PM in Discussion

I can't believe how many vendor defined tags FTM uses for events / facts that GEDCOM actually has a tag defined for already.  And why they don't use the EVEN tag for the others like they're supposed to.  Ancestry sure played fast and loose with the GEDCOM spec.

I'll look to see how much of that stuff we can bring in and put it where it is supposed to go.

- Bruce

Thanks, Bruce, for looking into this.  I agree that FTM used too many event/facts and I don't use but a quarter of them.  The ones I do use that don't transfer are easy to identify in FTM and change them to a Custom field, so I don't have a particular problem with them.  That's exactly what I did with the Cause of Death field -- just made a custom field and transferred them all in one swoop. I can't see the need for RM to make all those fields, as it is so easy to fix that on the FTM side.

If an FTM user is having a problem figuring out how to do a global replace of a field into a custom field, just let me know and I'll guide you through.  Just thought I'd let everyone know initially that they may have fields that don't transfer, so they don't get caught later wondering where the info went.

Thanks again, Bruce! 

#76225 FTM Refugee Hints

Posted by CLMartin on 23 December 2015 - 11:09 AM in Discussion

Just a note for those transferring from FTM2014. I did a test using every fact field in FTM. These are the facts that did not make it into RM that would have to be changed to a Custom Field if you want them transferred:

Address

Caste

Circumcision

Degree

Email

Employment

Excommunication

Elected

Funeral

Height

Marriage Bann

Medical Condition (RM has "Illness," but it did go there)

Military Serial Number

Namesake

Origin

Ordinance

Phone Number

Separation

Weight

I purposely left out the Cause of Death from above list. VERY IMPORTANT. I ran the test twice with Cause of Death from FTM. Make sure you change this to a Custom Field before gedcom to RM. This is what it did:

FTM

Death (for John Doe)

Date: 2 Jan 1880

Place: Illinois, USA

Description: See Death Certificate.

Cause of Death (for John Doe)

Description: Food Poisoning

RM

Death (for John Doe)

Date:

Place:

Description: Food Poisoning

#75999 Convert FTM Web Address to RM WebTag

Posted by CLMartin on 18 December 2015 - 10:36 AM in Discussion

FTM does not export the Web Link to the GEDCOM 5.5 file so RootsMagic cannot do anything with it. FTM emigres must campaign with Ancestry.com to get this changed along with other missing things. 

Thank you Tom H:

I was just responding to Renee's query re wishing she had an FTM file showing the web links.

#75992 Convert FTM Web Address to RM WebTag

Posted by CLMartin on 18 December 2015 - 08:46 AM in Discussion

Are these URLs for citations only or are there other areas of FTM where we need to watch for this?  I am adding this in the tracking system. I would love to get a FTM file that has all the variations of links that would need to go into WebTags.

Renee,

I am not able to upload a screen shot, so I'll just let you know that the only other place that has Web Links in FTM is in the person's individual screen where you see their birth, death, burial, and all other facts and descriptions.  The Web Link is not associated with any fact at all, but rather a separate item just for that person. There is no special linking to multiple individuals.  It is just an "add on" so to speak for that person, kind of like a little source for the person but is not attached to a fact.

If you go to one of my trees on Ancestry, you will see the Web Links I have made in FTM that were synced there. Scroll way down and you will see them.

Hope this was helpful!

#75984 FTM Refugee Hints

Posted by CLMartin on 18 December 2015 - 06:06 AM in Discussion

The @ codes are GEDCOM links (the GEDCOM spec has another term for them, but that's what I call them). That way they can have 1 source (or picture) linked to multiple people. 

The only attributes of an image that appear to be exported into the gedcom is the caption, the path to the image and the Private setting. The Date, Description and Categories values appear to not be exported into the GEDCOM.

Only the FTM developers can fix this one.

Oh! Crud!  Very bad news indeed.  Thanks much for the info.

#75978 FTM Refugee Hints

Posted by CLMartin on 17 December 2015 - 11:42 PM in Discussion

Okay, for now at least, the last issue I would love to address is:

The date and description for an image does not transfer from the FTM2014 gedcom to RM7.  Actually, all the dates are empty, but the descriptions have a funny code: @N182@   The numbers are different for each image.  Hopefully this little code will help in determining what is happening.

Thank you.

#75977 FTM Refugee Hints

Posted by CLMartin on 17 December 2015 - 10:54 PM in Discussion

All the other default fields come across as expected. In FTM you can create custom facts so those may or may not make it.

I have quite a few custom fields in FTM.  They all made it through the gedcom experience into RM7. Yeah!

#75975 FTM Refugee Hints

Posted by CLMartin on 17 December 2015 - 09:19 PM in Discussion

Exactly Michelle.

Thank you for assisting me with the citation issue using your screen shot to show how FTM works.

I want to see my citation at a glance. I’m a last glancer.

Thank all of you for your assistance in figuring this out.  Now that I know what the issues are in RM, I know what I need to do and am as happy a camper as can be expected!!!

Thanks again!

Connie

#75972 FTM Refugee Hints

Posted by CLMartin on 17 December 2015 - 07:13 PM in Discussion

Thank you, Michelle, for assisting me with the citation issue using your screen shot to show how FTM works.

I want to see my citation at a glance. I’m a last glancer.

Thank all of you for your assistance in figuring this out.  Now that I know what the issues are in RM, I know what I need to do and am as happy a camper as can be expected!!!

Thanks again!

Connie

#75914 Which media files import from FTM to RM?

Posted by CLMartin on 17 December 2015 - 01:04 PM in Discussion

I am reposting some questions made on other forum topics here and definitely have question regarding media. They transfer just fine to FM7, but....

Problems with FTM2014 gedcom to RM7:

(1)  No Media dates or descriptions transfer. This would be very time-consuming to edit each one in RM7.

(2)  Event fields are truncated to 67 characters (including spaces). This would not be impossible to copy and paste into RM7, but I think I’d be dead and memorialized on Find A Grave before I could get it done.

(3)  If you want to see your citations all in one place without popping around, you have to transfer your Citation Text to Citation Detail. And you still don’t get the Web Address, so have to copy and paste that into the Citation Text also.  I could deal with this and probably will have to.

Help with any or all of the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#75912 Which media files import from FTM to RM?

Posted by CLMartin on 17 December 2015 - 12:47 PM in Discussion

I am trying to get on every forum topic here to ask if anyone knows answers to these questions:

(1) Media dates and description do not transfer from FTM2014 to RM7.  Ugh!!!

(2) Event fields are truncated to 67 characters when transferred.  Really Big Ugh!!!

(3) Unless you put everything in FTM2014 sources into the Citation Detail in RM7, you have to go popping everywhere to find the Citation Text, and Web addresses aren't transferred at all. I can handle cutting and pasting A LOT of source information in FTM2014 into just the Citation Detail, but that's a lengthy process.

Thanks for your help on any of the above questions!

#75910 Facts: Can you batch move text used in fields?

Posted by CLMartin on 17 December 2015 - 12:32 PM in Discussion

You're welcome!

Like I said, I find I use this feature time and time again.  We get to know our trees so well, that even with thousands and thousands of people, we can spot something peculiar. When I find that I mistakenly picked a field like Adoption and it should have been Graduation (well that's a stretch, but you get my drift), instead of making a new Graduation field and cutting and pasting the info to it and deleting the Adoption, it is so fast to just go into the Adoption and change it to Graduation!  Great feature!

Did you know that this same feature is in Manage Facts? Go into Manage Facts. Highlight Adoption. Hit Data Options. All Individuals will show you everyone who was adopted. Or choose Immigration and see everyone who Immigrated, etc.  It's just a quick way to see some information that you don't need changed, but want to look up without making a report. You can't print a report from here, but it is nice to use if you are just looking for a particular thing.

Sure hope that have this type of feature in RootsMagic!!

#75908 Converting FTM 2014 to RootsMagic

Posted by CLMartin on 17 December 2015 - 11:50 AM in Discussion

To: Inillson193

I also am a refugee from FTM 2014. You can only use gedcom for 2014, so you've done that right. I used a small portion of my tree to gedcom for practicing purposes and did not have the problem you are discussing. I heard someone else suggest compacting your FTM file before making your gedcom.  Perhaps this will work if it compacts it a good percentage.  Give it a try!  Good luck.

For your reference (when and if you get your tree working), I am having other problems with converting to RootsMagic, i.e.:

(1) dates and descriptions do not transfer on media;

(2) description in the Event fields are truncated to 67 characters (including spaces);

(3) the Name field does not connect a source, and won't; and

(4) where the gedcom puts sources into RootsMagic is totally unacceptable, especially since the Web Address does not transfer.

I have another thread at the moment requesting help on these issues.

Gotta send a lot of L-O-V-E Ancestry's way!!!

#75906 FTM Refugee Hints

Posted by CLMartin on 17 December 2015 - 08:55 AM in Discussion

FTM 2014 gedcom to RootsMagic issue.

MEDIA:

FTM gedcom does not bring over Dates or Descriptions for media to RootsMagic (gave me a few funny symbols in the description), nor does it bring over media Notes, so that doesn’t work either.  Changing the Dates and Descriptions to the media Notes DID work for Legacy.  Any thoughts?

TRUNCATED EVENT:

FTM gedcom truncates Event/Field descriptions to RootsMagic to 67 characters (including spaces).  Are we SOL?

SOURCES:

FTM gedcom transfers sources to RootsMagic in this way:

“Citation Detail” just fine.

“Citation Text” shows up in what RootsMagic calls the “Research Note.”

“Web Address” is NOT transferred.

*Unless there is a fix, I can only suggest that ALL citation descriptions (including the web address) be manually copied and pasted in FTM into the “Citation Detail.” I, for one, don’t want my information put under “Research Note.”

#75902 Facts: Can you batch move text used in fields?

Posted by CLMartin on 17 December 2015 - 06:51 AM in Discussion

There is a way to do switch the place and description fields.

Go to any person that you know you have this problem and open up their screen.

Pick the problem fact and right click on it

A drop down list appears. Choose "Fact Data Options."

It will ask you if you want to back up your tree first. (Of course pick yes or no.)

A new popup screen appears. You will see the person you highlighted with the place and description.

At the top of the popup, pick "All individuals."

At the right side, "Uncheck All." 

Now go through the list and checkmark all the people you have a problem with.

They are easy to spot because you know you are looking for a description that has a place name.

Once you have checkmarked all the people, go to the bottom of the popup and checkmark "Move data in the selected facts."

By default it picks "From place to description."

Hit the down arrow and pick "From description to place."

When you are certain this is correct, hit OK.

I've used this feature many, many times. As you can see, you can also select a fact to be chanted to a different fact or select a fact to be private or not private.

Walla Walla Bing Bang, you are done!